Why we age

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by francois, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

because we do, there are some parts of the DNA, that can be powered, to order the body cells, so they reconstruct them selves, this way humans can live twice, or 3 times more than he can live toaday, that means, when he's 90 years old, he would be like he's 50,

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

i watched a show about it , and other future stuff, in a tv. show..

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

The simple advice to eat right, exercise regularly and get sufficient rest can and do extend many persons lives with quality intact. Obviously, if you eat poorly, do not exercise, don't get enough rest and smoke, drink to excess etc you can and most likely will cut both your overall health and the length of your life as well. This is now common knowledge.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Jack_ Banned Banned

I am betting, if excessive sugar is presented to cells, they will not be immortal.

But, what can't all cells be "uplifted". I like that word better.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

As do I, but the actuality is that preserving the telomere length preserves the cell as it is and allows it to continue to function normally, rather than endowing it with new capabilities, thus 'preserved' rather than 'uplifted'.

Well sure, if excessive sugar is present, or lactic acid, or insulin or adrenalin or any number of substances is present in abnormal quantity it would cause trouble for the exposed cells, premature death inclusive.

8. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

you forgot to be carefull of anger, if you want to live longer, eat right and etc etc ... and don't be nurvice, just have fun, and don't get angry..

9. Pathfinder Registered Senior Member

Scwarzenegger once said "Relax and you'll live longer", one of my favourite quotes and so true.

10. Jack_ Banned Banned

agreed

11. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

Right you are, anger causes the adrenals to dump cortisol, adrenaline and angiotension into your blood stream and these have profound effects on the body, especially if neither 'fight or flight' occurs to use them properly.

12. Kennyc Registered Senior Member

anger makes me so MAD!

13. river-wind Valued Senior Member

Calorie restriction may only work due to the restriction of Methionine, an important amino acid found in proteins. Reducing Methionine alone appears to have the same longevity benefits as overall calorie restriction, without the side effect of loss in reproductive drive.

Regarding aging, there do appear to be genes which can speed up and slow down the effects of aging, and the old "accumulation of defects" mechanism(as in the new car analogy) doesn't appear to hold up in light of that fact.

"The Evolution of Aging" is an interesting and easy read for anyone from a high-school student with an interest up to medical researchers. It doesn't get into the refined mechanics of what we know about how aging works at a molecular level, but the telomerase issue is discussed, along with case studies of various animals showing different aging behaviors, and draws an overall conclusion from the current collection of aging knowledge.
    http://books.google.com/books?id=bC...&resnum=4&ved=0CDAQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q&f=false

14. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

As far as I understand sugar combination dissolved in plasma are very important in protein folding and protein protein interactions. ex: A growth factor binds to it's receptor at 10ng/ml however with the appropriate sugars will bind a 1pg/ml (in a dish).

Also, too much glucose glycosolates proteins and screws up their in vivo function a major problem with diabetics.

I'd like to see humans invest more into longevity research. I have no idea why we spend a trillions times more killing ourselves instead :shrug:

15. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

That's interesting.

16. chuk15 Registered Senior Member

Over expression of telomerase (tell-om-er-ase) is one of the major characteristics of almost all cancer cells. These cells are able to live almost indefinitely if given adequate resources (unlike our own normal cells).