Why was the forum created?

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by science man, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Why was this forum created aside from the General Philosophy forum? What's the difference?

Peace unto you

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. LColburn86 Registered Member

Maybe it should be GPForum? lol

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. baftan ******* Valued Senior Member

Could it be because this site is created by Western understanding of philosophy and creators thought that there is a different branch of thinking in philosophical thinking, and they called it "Eastern"?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

David Watanabe did not come across like that

8. ya that's possible but man!!!! Why couldn't they realize that, that's like saying there's a different type of math.

9. draqon Banned Banned

This forum was created to serve me, draqon of white eternal blissful stars. May you serve your draqon well, science_man, for such is the purpose here. For the reason defines an act and act is holy as bestowed upon your shoulders, a duty for your lord draqon. May peace be with you and happiness all throughout.

10. you can be served the same way in the GP forum.

Peace unto you

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2009
  11. LColburn86 Registered Member

YAY! it suck. I called it. Pat. 008.687.263 "GPForum"! ^_^

12. LColburn86 Registered Member

13. LColburn86 Registered Member

Forum requires that u wait 30 sec. between each post? ha didnt know.

14. huh?

15. LColburn86 Registered Member

patent. just a joke.

so u want to talk about something sciency? How about black matter or black holes?

16. LColburn86 Registered Member

They are invisible. lol u cant touch em. yet they emmit a gravitation. spooky.

17. kmguru Staff Member

This forum was created at my request as the General Philosophy and Religion was Western Centric. I thought there may be members in the West and even our Eastern Members someday can participate without intimidation.

We have a long way to go as India and China (Population: 2+ Billion) slowly discovering the Internet.

18. decons scrambled egg Registered Senior Member

It's like having a "World Cinema" section in a video store.

19. kmguru Staff Member

Exactly, where else can you put the Bollywood movies?

20. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

or the "african american literature" section in a book store.

i think there is something not-so-subtle implied by the existence of the eastern philosophy subforum--can you figure out what that is?

21. kmguru Staff Member

I can not...since I started it, can you tell me what I was thinking?

22. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

well, i can not speak for you (obviously), so this is just supposition:

philosophy (the other one) is pretty broad: if we're talking just the past century or so--anglo-analytic, continental, ordinary language, pragmatism, etc.--and yes, lots of overlap within; going back a ways we've got the greeks, the romans (mostly shit), the arabs, the medievals (of course, then we get into religion as well--which is really true of all of it), etc.

but with eastern philosophy i am assuming a few things are implied: eastern thought is almost necessarily "contaminated" by some form of theism (though again, not invariably--whether we be talking buddhism or nishida, nishitani, et al), and eastern thought is often regarded as less rigorous (even less so than contemporary continentals).

like i say, i am merely taking a stab in the dark--do you agree, or no?

23. kmguru Staff Member

It is like, an artist does a modern painting. At the time of painting, the ideas flow fom deep within rather than conscious thought based on the sum total of life experience of that person. So the artist will have a hard time explaining why and the meaning of that painting.

This happened to me a long ago. While I am somewhat artistic, I do not claim to be an artist. But on a challenge, I entered a painting contest in college (If you are so smart, can you paint type). To my great surprise, I was in third place while the first and second place were by well known student artists.

Then time came for art critique and my friend who is a famous art critique explained what the painting represents. Everybody loved it.

I came away thinking - was it my crap or his eloquence won the day!

Need I say more?