Why USA has a drug problem?

Discussion in 'World Events' started by kmguru, Jul 16, 2001.

1. kmguru Staff Member

Why USA has a drug problem? How about other countries? Discussions are welcome.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

While it does not prevent drugs and the associated problems that come with it, most other countries are death on drugs when it comes to the laws of the land. To some extent we "pussyfoot" when it comes to that. In others, such as marijuana, I see no justifiable stance by the law of the land.

The only things I see are two fold.

1. This is the way it is and has been. So that leads to precedence and establishes the right to continue. Right or wrong it is a driver to continue status quo.
    2. The drug war is a money making and self-justifying act. The law agencies get "free" support from confiscated goods that are sold for profit as opposed to returning non-contraband back to it's rightful owner. In essence a hidden tax paid by whomever is in trouble at a time when they need money the worst. These dents in the owners’ pocketbook ensure that the legal department has the upper hand when prosecution takes over. It also makes sure that those who might have a lawful case (and be truly innocent) are ensnared into the legal net at a disadvantage.

For the self-justifying part...

No one denies that there is indeed a flourishing drug market. That we the people of the US, who have one if not the highest per capita income in the world, can more easily afford such if that is our inclination. To have the picture splashed over the national news of some huge bust preformed by such and such police dept. is great public relations for them. But...

A lot of these drug busts weren't just stumbled into, as the info would have you believe. Either an informant was crucial in the setup or the individuals were "encouraged" that they would be able to get away with it if they just do it now. I do not believe that the cameras just happened to be there at the right moment.
      And neither should you.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.