Why U.S.A is the best country in the world.

Discussion in 'The Cesspool' started by Duke Whittaker, Jul 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

I am really enjoying it. Such delights of idiocy on the part of Duke. It is satisfying to know that self indulgent stupidity is still prevalent on the internet. Without it sci.forums would have died a decade ago.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Yazata Valued Senior Member

I'm an American and I'm very fond of the United States. But I'm not sure that I'd go so far as to say that it's the "best country in the world". Different people value different things and will probably favor different countries, cultures or geographies depending on their taste and mood.

We're typically the best in sports that are big in the US. We aren't so hot at sports that aren't all that popular here. American football - big. Soccer football - not so much, for men at least. Cricket and rugby? Just for weirdos here, but huge some other places.

The European Union has as big an economy as the US in aggregate. China's on course to pass us. Of course, China has something like 4x our population, so we would still be way ahead per-capita. But there are smaller countries that are richer than us, person for person.

Maybe. Some of the Europeans, the Australians, Canadians and so on do pretty well too. We're near the top, but not necessarily at the top, for most kinds of freedom I guess. It varies by what kind of freedom we are talking about.

I don't agree with that one. There are quite a few governments out there that are more paternal and run bigger welfare-states.

Maybe so, if your thing is contemporary Western popular music. I'm not particularly interested in that. (I don't consider "rap" to even BE music.) Europe's produced the best classical music. The Africans have some amazing musical traditions, as do the many Asian cultures. It's all a matter of taste.

Since World War II perhaps. The British were equally successful for a couple of hundred years before that. The Spanish used to be very big. And there's that old classical favorite, the Romans.

Check out India some time.

And there's the European Union. 27 countries, kind of on the land-area scale of American states, though typically with bigger populations. Just about all of them has its own national history and its own language and literature.

We do seem to be the center of the world's film industry at present.

That's been true since World War II. The Europeans effectively lobotomized themselves in the war, the Chinese did the same thing with their 'cultural revolution", kind of leaving the US the leader by default. But the Europeans seem to be recovering their scientific energies and are winning a larger percentage of Nobel prizes again these days. Lots of scientific work seems to be coming from there. East Asia has potential as a science and engineering center too. There's stirrings in India and there's always Russia. Brazil and Argentina might make some noise later in the century.

The US will probably remain among the world scientific leaders in the 21'st century, but less clearly in the number one spot. What we are probably going to see is different regions moving into the lead in different research areas.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Duke Whittaker Banned Banned

People still do this? You guys sure value your input.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Duke Whittaker Banned Banned

You think you're hot shit cuz you know words!

8. Shogun Bleed White and Blue! Valued Senior Member

The troll is cracking!

Lets give him even more pressure and you'll see some very interesting responses from him!

9. Duke Whittaker Banned Banned

ur dumb

10. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

I think he needs to attend the "Gustav School of Proper Trolling"

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. InertProtocol Registered Senior Member

Try laying off the E numbers, stick to a bit of fruit for a while.

I'm astonished that you think some of the bands you mentioned you claim to be your own. The music belongs to the world but even my 7 year old son knows The Beatles are British...so this would make you...? (Apart from arrogant).

EDIT: Have you never heard Lennon or McCartney speak...now come on, is that a 'normal' American accent?.

12. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

no...No...NO!

The proper trolling response to Shogun would have been:

"Clearly you are in awe of my superior intellect. Next time, please wipe the drool from your mouth before you bother to respond to me. Like the Moody Blues song goes..."I can't get no satisfaction" from your post."

And to Ohphillite: (misspell his name on purpose)
    Fail! You should have said:

"Listen old man, just because you're bitter that the Precambrian rocks you study are younger than you are... does not give you the right to address someone as genius and youthful as me. You obviously are jealous of me, and you just need chill out, kick back and listen to the "White Album" by Pink Floyd.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  13. Duke Whittaker Banned Banned

I doubt you and anyone that commented on my intellect and corrected me would recognize any troll more complex than "ur dumb". ;[

14. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

Only two countries in Europe count as "native English speaking." They are Ireland and the UK. Only the UK calls soccer "football." In Ireland, it's "soccer." What a bunch of people who speak other languages call soccer, is not really germaine, no?

And which of those places count as English speakers, again?

Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, Canada and the USA all call it "soccer." This means that only one native English speaking country (the UK) does not call soccer "soccer."

I've already pointed out that, in the USA, soccer is a women's sport, and that our women's team is rather good. Were in the World Cup finals a few weeks ago, for example.

Their men can probably beat our mean at girl sports like ballet, volleyball, and softball as well. So what?

You're thinking of soccer. The rest of you shmoes don't even stand a chance at actual football.

15. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Much better! You're learning. You could have also added "Hey Mac, the 80's called and they want their hairstyle back"

16. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

I read somewhere, The Beatles couldn't surf for shit. That's pretty uncool for a bunch of Californians, dontcha reckon?

17. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

Also:

SlipKnot is alright, but hardly the best example of American musical pre-eminence, even strictly within the heavy metal genre. Slayer, Metallica, Anthrax, Megadeth, Exodus, Death, Cannibal Corpse, Lamb of God, System of a Down, Suffocation, Immolation, Nile, Morbid Angel, Manowar, Slough Feg, Cephalic Carnage, Fear Factory - any of these would have been far better examples, than SlipKnot.

18. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

This raises the question of whether the OP meant to say "the Beach Boys" where he wrote "the Beatles."

19. Rhaedas Valued Senior Member

He would have still been wrong, as Seattle wasn't a music origin place until the 80s-90s.

20. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Well, that is one of several reasons. Here are some others:
    1) Women swoon at my feet. (Well, it could be an exacerbated panic attack.)
    2) My IQ, measured by proper tests and not online rubbish, is 148.
    3) I receive compliments every day on my gentlemanly behaviour.
    4) MacGyver 1968 likes me. (Need I say more?)
    5) Sometimes I wear striped underpants.
    6) I used to be an angst ridden, self opinionated, teenage dork, but I grew out of it.
    7) Sometimes I wear striped underpants. (No, really dude, you should try it.)
    8) I have a thermometer and my shit really is hot. (That's numbers, not words.)

21. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

Uhhhh, NO. He said that the Beatles are from Seattle and he is absolutely correct. And aren't the Beach Boys from the Soviet Union or czarst Russia or something like that?

22. Shogun Bleed White and Blue! Valued Senior Member

Haha, that would've been funny

We need to lower it to his level...

There are different levels of trolling from what I can see

1) "Intellectual" Trolls
    2) Incoherent Trolls
    3) Laptop Gangsters
    4) Image Trolls

We need to lower it down to Incoherent Trolls and Laptop Gangsters.

23. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

No, the Beach Boys were from Norway, but they became naturalised US citizens after the US successfully invaded Norway in WWII.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.