why the speed of light

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by FNG2k4, Feb 6, 2004.

1. FNG2k4 Registered Senior Member

why does light go 299 792 458 m / s?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. mathman Valued Senior Member

I don't believe anyone knows why. It just is that way. Maybe some future theory will give an answer.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

"It just does" is not a very satisfying answer, but I would assert it is a valid answer.

There are several fundamental constants in nature. If any of them were significantly
    different than they are it would mean the universe would be different. There is nothing
    in physics to say why any of these constants have a particular value.

:m: Peace.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. FNG2k4 Registered Senior Member

The number pi and e^1 even make sense. I was kinda curious as to what stops light from speeding up/slowing down in a stable consistant enviroment. Why its final speed is c.

P.S. Did anyone predict the speed of light before they measured it?

8. lethe Registered Senior Member

light goes at that speed because it is massless. if it had a mass, it would go more slowly.

locality requires that there be an invariant speed, but there is no great reason why light has to travel at that speed. it just happens to follow some simple rules which don t allow it to have a mass. some non abelian gauge fields which are not as simple are allowed to have a mass, and they do. in a perfect universe, with all symmetries in tact, all particles would move at the speed of light, but because of symmetry breaking, some particles don t.

there is no way, even in principle, to predict what the numerical value of the speed of light is, because the speed of light is a dimensionful number. you may as well ask if there is any way to predict what is the length of the bar in that vault in France where they keep the official meter stick. in other words, it is arbitrary.

to recap, locality requires an invariant speed, and abelian nature of light requires that it be massless, and therefore must travel at the invariant speed. other things should travel at the invariant speed, but don t, because of symmetry breaking. and you cannot predict the speed of light, because it is dimensionful.

9. FNG2k4 Registered Senior Member

wouldnt the limit as mass aproaches zero be the speed of light?

10. FNG2k4 Registered Senior Member

wouldnt the limit as mass aproaches zero be the speed of light (plugged into the right equation and then solved)?

11. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Light goes at 299,792,458 m/s because one metre is defined to be the distance light travels in exactly 1/299792458 th of a second. Why the strange number, rather than, say, 300,000,000? Because this number makes the definition of one metre close to its original definition, which was 1/10000 th the distance from the Earth's pole to the equator.

12. Neurocomp2003 Registered Senior Member

are physics is still limited so we don't really know why but we like the phenomenon. I understand why you would understand pi(its taught to everyone)....but e? I still
    don't know how people pin pointed this 2.72.... But again pi and light speed
    and the permeability of space e0 and permissiv??of space u0 should have the same analogy...they came up from some equation. So if you believe in pi i don't see why you wouldn't with light and e0 and u0. WHy those exact digits?

13. zonabi free thinker Registered Senior Member

it is because that is what it calculates into on this earth, in this solar system, in this galaxy.

i bet the speed of light varies in space and is different in other galaxies and planets.

i guess its based upon some variables, and if i had to guess at them i would say the total mass of everything in the galaxy and maybe divided by the total volume or circumference or some thing crazy ! heres a crazy formula, maybe its right?

i bet u it even varies within our galaxy, and even within our solar system. in a small fractional way, so small we cannot even see it.

bottom line is, the masses of the objects of space (planets, stars, etc) produce energy and gravity, they carry weight, u know what i mean.
    this effects everything around it, which is space and the fabric of time.

take a look at what they say of black holes. not even light can escape it. meaning its gravity is much larger than the light's speed, regardless of what galaxy its in. it is about INFINITELY as many times larger than the speed of light that we accept. it sucks the light into it, ZOOM!
    where does it go , you ask ?
    http://sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=32851
    perhaps thats what happens? what do u think?

but back to the light,
    do u agree that the speed of light varies depending what galaxy you are in?

14. FNG2k4 Registered Senior Member

e is all about natural logs. also it has the nice property d/dx e^x = e^x .
    and pi is all about curves. numbers that show up. Easily logically deduced given the right examples.

I really have no problem with the speed of light. besides who would a pick a fight with. Im just trying to get some grasps on the concepts when i go into my physics class next term.

15. FNG2k4 Registered Senior Member

Ill agree with light changing depending on the galaxy.

16. zonabi free thinker Registered Senior Member

can u explain this to me briefly (i bet its long)
    i have heard of logs but have not ever studied them.
    i understand pi, because spirals are universal, the circle is the primary shape of the universe and e\many things within it.

what do ya think about what i said about the speed of light varying in different locations of the universe, like in diff galaxies?

howcome? i believe this opposes my idea

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

17. FNG2k4 Registered Senior Member

Do you know much about derivatives? Function F(x) = e^x
    the derivative of e^x is e^x that means the function and its slope have a 1 to 1 relation. As x increases so does the slope at the same rate. and thats why e is 2.72 I believe this is the only equation like that but some cos(x), sin(x) functions repeat derivatives in a pattern in a little more complicated mannor.

http://mss.math.vanderbilt.edu/cgi-bin/MSSAgent/~pscrooke/MSS/derivative.def

18. FNG2k4 Registered Senior Member

I kinda hate if statments unless there in C++. but anyways.

What would happen if you took a bar that was some incrediable length of 1 AU and rotated so that the ends approached the speed of light would the bar appear to bend?

after that what if you lengthened that bar to a greater point where the speed was faster then light.

Im kind of after a general question but also a more direct example of what would happen to the bonds of the materials IE what would happen to the material as it approached the speed of light.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2004
  19. lethe Registered Senior Member

yes, of course

20. lethe Registered Senior Member

this has no meaning. the meter is defined in such a way that the speed of light is constant; it cannot change, not in our solar system, not anywhere

21. lethe Registered Senior Member

you turn the rod by exerting a force on one end of the bar. that force propagates to the other end of the bar through the electromagnetic atomic bonds in the bar, so therefore can travel only at the speed of light, for an ideal rod (and much less for a real one). therefore, if the bar is one lightyear long, it will take one year after you start to turn it before the other end begins to turn.

so there will always be a lag, and as you turn it so that the ends approach the speed of light, the bar will bend more and more. if you extend the bar (in an attempt to get the end to travel faster than light), it will just bend further, or break.

22. zonabi free thinker Registered Senior Member

im sorry. firstly, i dont even think the LIGHT is the same outside of our solar system as it is inside our solar system.

different S.S (solar systems..) have different stars powering them. these stars are different, and not composed exactly alike. this causes for some variations in the light they produce, the way its produced, how much of it is produced, and even how fast its produced. *not only this, but also the very shape, structure and composition of the different galaxies must account for differences in the functions and laws that 'govern' these distant places

secondly, u must realize TIME varies also, within different galaxies in the universe. this all depends on the Solar System as well, how big the planets are, their position, and most importantly, how fast they spin+rotate+move in relation to the other celestial bodies that accompany it.

therefore, if Time changed, so would everything- even the speed of the light that is inside of the certain place in discussion.

im gonna let u in on a secret. related to this above quote, and to FNG's question about what if the bar passed the speed of light.
    if and when an object surpasses the speed of light, nothing super special really happens. the object LOSES its color- thats it. the object has surpassed the speed of the very ESSENCE of COLOR and Brightness- THE VERY THING THAT MAKES U ABLE TO SEE ANYTHING- LIGHT.
    why do u think a spacecraft seems to vanish? (<-- also has to do with gravity) why to the stars seem to stretch?

im sorry to say but nothing is constant. some things may prove to be, but in time they are proven wrong by another thing we think is the real constant now. things vary, everywhere. especially in diff galaxies across the universe.

i think the speed of light should be contained to only our solar system and maybe... maybe our galaxy. whoever thinks otherwise show me proof of the velocity or speed of light in another galaxy or any other point in space for that matter. u realize our mathematical assumptions are based within our own galaxy, and its "laws", right ? and even if you dig up some webpage that claims someone measured the light from outer space, you realize that the observer is in a completely different reference point than the observed light, therefore causing the flaws of relativity to pop up, not to mention the twists of time+space from the immense distance between 'us' and 'it'

you see what im trying to get at ?

but on a more accepting note- i believe that the SPEED(s) of LIGHT thru-out the universe, althought not invariably equal, are directly connected to each other.

23. lethe Registered Senior Member

what reason do you have to believe the light is different? as you know, we see in our night sky light from stars that are millions of light years away, and we have carefully analysed it. in what way do you think light from outside our system is different?

agreed.

here, i cannot agree. this is a physics forum, and so all answers i give are based on modern physical theories. for example, i know from elementary electrodynamics and relativity that all light, no matter what the source, travels at the same speed. if you want to dispute this, you should tell us what theory you are basing your claims on, and then what experimental evidence there is to back up your theory.

as it stands, i am pretty nearly ready to label you a crackpot.

this has nothing to do with the speed of light

i will let you in on a little secret: i hate discoursing with crackpots. i feel like i get stupider every time i do. your claim is "when an object surpasses the speed of light, it loses its color"?

i am sorry too. how old are you?

great