Why the middle finger? *warning bad words*

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by nico, Aug 9, 2003.

1. nico Banned Banned

I was thinking last night, I was listening to the song reflex by Duran Duran and for some reason, everytime I listen to it I think of the middle finger. Well I came to thinking what does it really mean. I know it means fuck you, but what is the symbolism. Then it hit me like a brick. It's Phallic, what else could it be. Now if you stick your middle finger out you see it represents the penis in many ways. The position, the process of elevation, and the connection btwn the word fuck and the middle finger. I think that the middle finger represents the penis erect, telling the other person to fuck. I was wondering does anyone have a opinion?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Evil_Genius Registered Senior Member

History of the Middle Finger
    Before the Battle of Agincourt in 1415, the French, anticipating victory over the English, proposed to cut off the middle finger of all captured English soldiers. Without the middle finger, it would be impossible to draw the renowned English longbow and therefore be incapable of fighting in future battles.

This famous weapon was made of the native English Yew tree, and the act of drawing the longbow was known as "plucking the yew" (or "pluck yew"). Much to the bewilderment of the French, the English turned the tide and won a major upset - then began mocking the French by waving their middle fingers at the defeated French, saying, "See, we can still pluck yew!"

Since 'pluck yew' is rather difficult to say, the difficult consonant cluster at the beginning has gradually changed to a labiodental fricative \'F\', and thus the words often used in conjunction with the one-finger-salute are mistakenly thought to have something to do with an intimate encounter. It is also because of the pheasant feathers on the arrows used with the longbow that the symbolic gesture is known as "giving the bird".

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. nico Banned Banned

That was seriously fucked up!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

The roman gladiators showed that finger to each other before going to battle each other...as a sign of disrespect.

8. nico Banned Banned

ahh so the finger predates that battle of Agincourt! Do u know exactly what the finger meant in Roman times? Like Fuck you, or Pluck yew?

9. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Hmm could have been just a sign of disrespect....such as "i am about to give you a hair cut with this sword and i don't mean on your head"...you know a taunt of sorts.

10. fahq Registered Senior Member

In Brazil, the middle finger means something like "Good day to you"

11. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

nico
    It most certainly predates the English and the French. If you read way back to the quest for the golden fleece, you'll find that the Argonauts stigmatized the middle finger as a sign of Hades. Orpheus also sung about it being a portal for evil. I think if you ask anyone the finger question you'll get a different answer. Some latinos, especially Mexicans, don't care either way which finger you show them but get incredibly offended and give you the eyebrow if you use that finger to show how tall someone is. Why? Don't know. Its seen as direspect for some reason long lost.

fahq:
    Never heard of that.

Evil_genius:
    My that was funny. Thank you.

12. Evil_Genius Registered Senior Member

I am glad you found my post funny

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

It is an oldie but a goodie...That joke that is:bugeye:

13. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

I always thought the two fingered gesture was the V sign that was used against archers. And that the single fingered one was possibly a contraction of it or a distinct phallic gesture, usually done by jerking the hadn vertically upwards, so the finger seems to be doing the fucking.

AS for plucking yew, im not so sure, it sounds tidy enough, but yet....

14. cthulhus slave evil servant Registered Senior Member

i think u mean the battle of the greyc.

random fact: that was also the same battle that is the first recorded insodent of gunfire on the battlefield.