Why The Matrix was stupid

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Frisbinator, Apr 28, 2004.

1. dsdsds Valued Senior Member

Yeah, this thread dates back to April. So what? The Matrix lives....

I agree with Madanth. Zion was a big disappointment. I expected (or wanted) to see hi-tech research labs, etc. But we get a sense of zion when we see the interior of the ships and the torn, scrappy clothes they're wearing. I guess the Wachowskis wanted to emphasize the contrast between the highly organized, cold machines and the personal, warm, caring and vulnerable humans. Subtle details like the plain white interrogation room (Neo intro to Smith) or the stainless steel chairs Agent Smith sits on, work very well in the movie but the out-of-matrix humans and their environment should have been more technically evolved. After all, they did invent the machines.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Logically Unsound wwaassuupp and so on Registered Senior Member

sorry, its just that every forum or chat room ive ever participated in seems to have a weak spot for ranting about either the flaws/suckiness of the films.
    and the phiosophical questions were orignially interesting but now i cannot bear them. i fell theyve been scewered by mass media spotlighting.... oh well *leaves*

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Alpha, I think the aspect of the Neo scenario was to be the "one" you had to "Know thy self" which I believe got quoted in the film. Therefore if you knew yourself as a person that uses cheat codes and trainers and believed to use them in the system, then thats what would occur.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. dexter ROOT Registered Senior Member

I didnt understand the matrix. . .
    I have 2 questions. . .

so ted used the phone booth to both jack into the matrix and travel through time?! how does he do that?

and 2

When are they going to start integrading this into cellphones. . . I heard nokia had plans, but I havent heard anything more. Might just have been a rumor.

8. crazeeeeeem Registered Senior Member

I think you all missed the point of the matrix. This is what I think.

1. NEO was a product of the machine world, a biological robot.
    2. NEO's function was to allow the machine world to understand humans more hence Sati's going to the matrix because her parents loved her and the meeting with the architect.
    3. NEO's name means new.
    4. There were 6 versions of NEO, the last was capable of love. The others were only capable of a general understanding of love.
    5. NEO's ability to understand the Matrix was an inbuilt to the Matrix.

9. Alpha «Visitor» Registered Senior Member

Not completely sure, but I don't think so.
    He simply hacked the matrix using is mind. He had learned something about hacking by hacking computers while in the matrix, and upon learning of the matrix he could see it's a system just like any other with it's own flaws and vulnerabilities which could be exploited. The difference is, the only method of accessing and interacting with the matrix is with your mind.
    Travel through time? When?
    What? LOL.

I suspect the script was designed in such a way as to be deliberately open to interpretation, so everyone sees a slightly different story when watching the movies.

10. dexter ROOT Registered Senior Member

Bill and Teds excellent adventure, I was commenting on the simularities. Although they probobly have no actual meaning, I still thought it was funny.

11. Wrong Robot Registered Senior Member

I really enjoyed the matrix movies, they were more interesting than most sci-fi, and they were still entertaining.

That said, the biggest discrepancy I found in the movie... the humans in the real world use EMPs as their main weapon against the machines. That's all well and good, except...in the Animatrix second renaissance part 2, they talk about how humans engulfed the Machine nation 01 in fire, then it cut to shots of mushroom clouds everywhere. Now, a Nuclear detonation gives off a massive EMP discharge, that would surely have shorted out everything that the sheer heat didn't melt. Yet, somehow the machines survive.

Yes, it's possible to shield electronics from EMP, but if that's the case then why would the sentinels back then be shielded and the sentinels today be unshielded, that's hardly machine thinking.

So yea, aside from that, it's easy enough to gloss over all the weirdness because, well, it's just a movie.

12. Alpha «Visitor» Registered Senior Member

How do you propose to write a program with your mind? It doesn't quite work like that. You have to do it yourself.
    You think they were all in the vicinity of the blast? I bet many were underground, or other places. Also, it makes it very clear they were very intelligent and had surpassed human technology. The may have found ways to protect some of them against it, but not all.
    Makes perfect sense if their protection is not portable. They'd have a base/stronghold protected from it, but they still go out into the world to fight their war.

13. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Alpha, In the Matrix the mind was as much a program as the universe perceived around it, ergo "Know thy self" (If you know your a Cheater, then you Cheat)

After seeing the very first Matrix film some time back I kind of created a rather odd twist of plots that involved time, it took the information that Morpheus suggested about the time period from the plaque on the Nebb. My suggestion was that they thought they were in the real world, but what had really occured was that the matrix system security had allowed them to exist within an alternative universe build with in the system so it could find out about what made them tick, or what things they did as terrorists etc.

Also because of it being a ficticious universe they were entrapped in, the date in Morpheus suggested could actually be "before 1999" but don't ask how I twisted a plot like that

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

As you can guess though, none of the sequels went like that.

14. Alpha «Visitor» Registered Senior Member

It's not yourself you must know, but the matrix itself, and how it works, esp how your mind interacts with it.

15. stew2yk Registered Member

why would EMP have the same effect as it does in the real work, surely agent Smith program could have been altered to alow EMP's to behave as they wanted them to behave. This is world there anything is possible in Cyber Space

16. stew2yk Registered Member

Going of thr point a bit I think it could be possible to program your own brain, but it would take huges amounts of time setting up the sub-routines that would inturn run your program. Has anyone heard of a man who's job was areial photographer for the USAF. He had a cancerous brain tumor and tried everything to sort it out but to no avail. The doctors told him there was nothing they could do for him, pus there was a rare chance that he could take control over his mind and use the minds power. He was told if he didnt do something he would die. The doctors then gave him illustartions of that was happeing and what he needed to do a microbe level, i.e. use his white blood cells to target this tumor and get rid of it. anyway the man was intrested in star wars and that night had a dream were he was fighing his tumor and he one. and the next morning/week (bit sketcy on the facts) the cancer had completely dissapered without trace. Could be coinsidence but it makes you think!

17. Rick Valued Senior Member

Matrix part one was an AMAZING MOVIE WITH GREATEST IDEA EVER and no! you are talking to GREATEST YEs Hardest MATRIX PART ONE fan ever!
    NO OBJECTIONS HERE!...and thats that.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

bye!
    (PS: REVOLUTIONS AND RELOADED SUCKED THOUGH)

18. Jubatus Nought Advocate Registered Senior Member

Indeed, they should have stopped with the first movie.

That aside, the single stupidest thing in the Matrix is the illogical AI when it comes to dealing with the awakened humans.

- The AI knows the awakened wakes up in their battery pods - and when.

- The AI knows that flushing out the awakened human will likely if not always end up with the awakened being picked up by the other awakened.

- The AI knows that the machine they send to unhook the awakened from their matrix interface can easily kill the awakened before flushing her.

Maybe there's an explanation to which I'm ignorant, maybe the Oracle temporarily takes over the individual machines to make the flushing of a live awakened happen, maybe there's a flaw in my logic here, hmm?