Why The Matrix was stupid

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Frisbinator, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Frisbinator Registered Senior Member

Here is why:

First of all, they obviously realize that they are in The Matrix, and yet they can still get hurt. This is a load of crap, how can something that is not really punching you inflict physical damage upon your body, even if you DO think that it's real?

Also, how does food work? If they are disconnected from the Matrix, then couldn't they technically eat all of the food in the world and not get fat? Or would food affect them physically too?

If when they get punched, their bodies react, wouldn't their bodies react to food? So in a sense, their bodies would act as though they are eating and attempt to digest the matter that is not really there?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

You didn't get it. It's a movie. It's entertainment.

:m: Peace.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Votorx Still egotistic... Valued Senior Member

Exactly, Its just a movie but I'm going to reply for the hell of it.

Damage in the matrix did not inflict phsyical damage on the body, only when it was perceived by the mind did it feel like actual pain to the user inside the matrix. When you died in the matrix you mind basically died along with it, and without your mind you were killed outside the matrix. As for the blood spilling out of the person's mouth, this can be formed from to much pressure due to eh stress being implemented on the users mind.

Im going to suppose you mean the humans who were still enslaved in the matrix. They received the nutrients they needed from the machines not the matrix. As for the people who were freed, they ate outside of the matrix in the real world, when they were inside the matrix they never ate.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. phlogistician Banned Banned

Cop out explanantion:
    [COPOUT]
    You are in a 'Matrix' and therefore, everything you understand about how real human bodies works is false. If you ever get released, you might find that you are far more prone to suggestion and hypnosis, and a virtual injury can cause you actual harm. [/COPOUT]

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The worst thing about this movie, besides the horrible acting, and monotone dialogue, is that it villifies virtual reality and machines, (while the whole movie was created by machines). It also equates the fight against technology with religion by using terms like trinity.

9. Lemming3k Insanity Gone Mad Registered Senior Member

Maybe i missed it but where did they get the food from on the outside?

10. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

First of all, Matrix was cool. I really liked the first part. But if you watch it a couple of times you notice all those holes in the story. And all these spiritual beliefs/names/images, like Morpheus, the god of dreams or Trinity. Hell, they even got an oracle and a city called Zion. Is it just a war between mythology and technology?

11. Rappaccini Redoubtable Registered Senior Member

It was interesting, and the cinematography was excellent.
    The color shift from nonreality to reality? Very tasteful, to say the least.

As for proposed plot holes... well, too bad.
    The truth is, I seriously doubt the Wachowski duo intended for the work to be as rigorously analyzed as it is so often by the avid geek subculture that now surrounds it.
    Just check out the storyboards yourself. They look like an action comic, as they were meant to be, not a philosophical commentary.
    For God's sake, in them, Neo has long hair and big muscles, and Trinity looks like a vampire.

The film is not dreadfully shallow, and it's not too deep.
    It's nice dose of well thought out scenery and effects, a fine example of how modern technology and its staples can complement, not drown out, a fairly intelligent and thematically venturesome story, a product of innovative auteurism.

Did anyone notice that the book in which Neo kept his stash of mysterious zip-disks was Baudrillard's Simulacra and Simulation?
    It's a pretty lame attempt at cleverness, but it is charming in a way.

12. Animan351 Registered Member

okay,heres one for you, why the hell would the machines use humans instead of something that would have only required a much simpler "matrix" in since there just harvested for their body heat?
    Why not just use monkeys and gorrilas or any other stupid animals and just keep the matrix a big field of grass instead of going all out with using humans.

13. §outh§tar is feeling caustic Registered Senior Member

Don't ruin it for him.. spoilsport.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. Alpha «Visitor» Registered Senior Member

Because then humans would still be around and it wouldn't have solved the machine's problem.

15. Roman Banned Banned

Heh, I've thought of almost every question asked on this thread. For the sake of keeping the Matrix in pristine, plastic wrapped goodness in my heart, I invented these answers so not to remove that glossy shell. Prepare for geekiness.

Question 1. How come if they know the Matrix is not real, they act like it is?
    What you know, and how you react, are two different things entirely. For instance, hot peppers do not damage your body, yet they make you think you're being burned. For people who have been raised their entire life in a false reality, that reality is very real. What people see, believe, and feel (remember, the Matrix tapped straight to one's brain, simulating everything, actually popping off synapsis) affects their physical state. Modern medicine (placebo testing) confirms this. However, some people have immense control over reality by manipulating their mind, such as some Bhuddist monks or yogis. In the Matrix's case, it was the likes of Neo, Trinity and so forth.

Question 2: Food.
    Yeah, probably, but since it's not as cool as watching Reeves dodge shit, they didn't bring the physiology up. (The badguy in the first one told an agent that steak tasted good, event hough he knew it wasn't real).

Question 3: Humans as energy and like problems.
    Hollywood has never been good with the laws of thermodynamics. You can't recycle heat and humans forever, energy runs out to entropy laws somewhere. In general, every sci-fi movie over looks this. I will, too– it's standard (sci)-fi fare.

Question 4: Why not use apes for energy?
    I think that if man made AI, the AI would have the general values of humans. One of those values is no genocide– typically. So, in machine morals (there was an animatrix that I never saw where it was revealed that machines couldn't lie), they don't want to exterminate humans, just keep them prisoner.

Note: I only apply reason and such to the first Matrix movie. The next two are absolute shite.

16. Alpha «Visitor» Registered Senior Member

I take it you haven't seen the Animatrix, or read any of the comics? They give much more background on the whole matrix story. The first Animatrix especially explains it. There was a war between man and machines, and the machines won, and turned them into an energy source. It's more efficient than simply exterminating everyone, and if they didn't do something with us, we'd still be a problem to them.

17. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

The Matrix was a great movie. It was thought provoking, had cutting edge special effects, and great action sequences. How many movies can stimulate so much debate? The sequels were entertaining, but intellectually disapointing and were basically just action movies with no new ideas.

18. Alpha «Visitor» Registered Senior Member

But did you really expect them to? They were continuations of the story began in the first one. Don't think of it as three seperate movies (with 3 storylines), but as one big story. If you take it like that, I think it's damn good.

19. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I tended to think, If supposedly all those that apposed the matrix were suppose to be sophisticated hackers freed for their talents, why didn't one of them write a "Trainer" for the Matrix, a "God Mode" perhaps, or at least "1000" health as apose to "100".

You can't tell me that hackers do not cheat because of moral obligation not to.

20. Alpha «Visitor» Registered Senior Member

It's not that simple when you have to hack with your mind alone. Especially when all your feedback is trying to convince you that it's real. Neo was 'the one' because he could get further than anyone else in hacking the matrix.

21. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

It's when I think of it in those terms that I'm the most disapointed by #2 and 3. Many things hinted at in #1 didn't match what was revealed in 2 or 3. I pictured Zion as this ultra high tech place full of computer geeks who had been rescued from the Matrix who spent their time fighting the machines or at least helping to develop technology to assist in the fight against the machines. Instead, Zion is revealed as a third world country full of peasants who sit around with nothing to do but beg for help. And what about the "codes" for Zion's mainframe. Weren't they the goal of the machines in #1? No mention is made of them in 2 or 3. Still, the parts of #2 that took place within the matrix were good. I could go on, but I stand by my original statement.

22. Logically Unsound wwaassuupp and so on Registered Senior Member

*screams endlessly that this thread has been made A-FUKKIN-GAIN!!!!skj MKN FJKLANFIUAHIUFHUHA:FHOIAHG DAMMIT*

23. Alpha «Visitor» Registered Senior Member

This thread is months old... you sure it's not the same one?