Why Talk?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Jonny5, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Jonny5 "oky dokey" Registered Senior Member

Some people’s ability to socialize diminishes with every additional voice garnered in conversation. They might reluctantly conform to silence and become half-heartedly obliged to observe and attentively listen. They’re only “accepted” as far as their voice is heard. However they might be looked upon as a dismissive individual, or anti-social, and in being labeled so, become evermore nervous, and distrustful of speaking at all. Humor becomes a second rate, handed down, thrifty alternative to the consciousness of seclusion. Therefore it is only helpful in the eyes and ears of the beholder(s). I consider myself such a person. It is the poorest class of sociality.

For those in life who in all modesty are simply trying to relate and empathize with others, the task to contribute and share feelings and the like becomes more difficult. Loneliness is the fallout shelter for such a person. Not their idea of happiness. Not mine.
    There is a saying that goes something like this: “the more attention that is given to something the more powerful it becomes.” I would say, in certain circumstances, the same goes for people. Anyway, forgive my blundering, everyone take care.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. psychosurvivor Registered Member

why talk? to communicate ideas... I suppose one could write instead but if everything were written rather than spoken, we would miss the inflections and the passion of tone... I used to talk all the time... I realized though that the more I talked the less people listened because most of the time, the talk was just filler... nothing of substance could be gleaned from my words... in Jewish lore it is said that we have two eyes, two nostrils, two ears and one mouth so that we can absorb twice as much as we put out... it is also said that the tongue has two guardians... the lips and the teeth... two chances to review in your head what you are about to allow to escape from your lips... words can often lay a more biting blow than a physical blow - the effects of the slap or punch will diminish with time but the trauma of hurtful words can last a lifetime... doesn't even take hate or malice to create a wound with words - can simply be the words of a person who hasn't got a clue how to talk to people... knowing how to speak is not the same as knowing how to talk... some folks shouldn't never attempt it

from the wisdom of the ages... it's not what you say... it's how you say it

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. SoLiDUS OMGWTFBBQ Registered Senior Member

Very telling, isn't it?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.