Why support it if you cannot stomach it?

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by S.A.M., Aug 2, 2008.

1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

/wipes off the froth

Dear dear, you're getting slightly worked up and highly confused there. Are we talking about Pakistan or Islam? Or India?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

I generally don't watch documentaries about slaugtherhouses, but those juicy burgers, them I eat!!!

So your thread is (as usual) fucking damn...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I would go to slaughter houses to get meat. :shrug:

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Vkothii Banned Banned

The US Army demands you support death sentences, and demands you must believe it.

Anyone who may be an enemy combatant, or a potential one, is subject to a US military death sentence, carried out immediately and with extreme prejudice.

At least, that's the rule of thumb, if you're a devotee of US military doctrine and have faith in its obvious supremacy, to those inferior to the cause.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  8. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

Merely the subjunctive?

9. Roman Banned Banned

I think she's saying that she doesn't eat meat.
    And also doesn't realize that buying from a slaughterhouse means buying half a cow. Which is pretty big.

10. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

Silly argument. I haven't read the whole thread, so others have probably pointed this out, but there are many things that are understood to be perfectly acceptable but that the average person find difficult to watch: surgery, autopsies, slaughtering animals, lawful executions, circumcisions.

The test of morality is not visual.

11. lepustimidus Banned Banned

So if someone can't watch the amputation of a gangrene leg, then they shouldn't support medically necessary amputations? WTF? :bugeye:

12. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

I support indoor toilets, but I don't enjoy going down to the sewage treatment plant to breath in the lovely odor.

I like to eat sausage, but I've been told no one who likes to eat it should ever see it being made.

Something that is unpleasant, or even shocking, may still be necesary. And just as we don't post graphic images of sex acts on this site; we shouldn't post images of decapitated babies.

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

As opposed to?

It tends to devolve on the weekend.

Where? Not in the abattoir in Mumbai, you can actually request they set aside a brain or a liver or some hooves.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2008
  14. Roman Banned Banned

How lovely.
    You should just assume we're talking about the West here, dearie.

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Yes it is. I'm partial to tripe and brain and hooves myself. I won't turn down a liver or kidney either.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

They are pretty hard to get fresh in the US.

16. iceaura Valued Senior Member

There are a lot of things I fully support and do myself whenever appropriate, such as wiping my ass, of which I do not want to see photographs.

Shoving such pictures into my face is an offense, and the shover is in the wrong. I am not denying the reality of anything I support, and unless the shover has evidence that I am, presuming to educate by such assault is arrogant.

That said, denial based on squeamishness is not a moral virtue to be protected from all assault. If someone is denying the existence or reality of, say, the killing of civilians in Iraq by US weaponry and tactics, a graphic photo or two might be in order.

It doesn't make much of an argument, though. It's anecdote. Argument by anecdote is only good for countering a general denial.

And as a general observation, argument by photograph misleads more often than not. The photo is of an extreme case, or faked, or out of significant context, or somehow irrelevant, quite a bit more often than it is properly illustrative. IMHO. Likewise videos.

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

You think the decapitated baby was extreme? I think when you are using thousands of pounds of ordinance on a relatively unarmed group of people, its commonplace to expect they will die, some of them in terrible ways.

18. Tyler Registered Senior Member

Most people don't even want to see pictures of their intestinal tract. Do you suggest those people should not be allowed to digest food?

19. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I think actively enabling abortion or war is not on the same level as digesting food. But thats just me.

20. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Is doing nothing to counter it the same as actively enabling it ?

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

If you saw a woman being raped, and walked by, are you enabling it?

22. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Not actively.. :shrug:

23. Tyler Registered Senior Member

You implied it's strange to support something but not be able to look at it.

Most people probably don't want to look at 99% of the things they do. Your body is pretty nasty to look at on a closer level.

Most people don't really want to look at photos or rotting corpses covered in mice and feces water. Yet I'm sure those people retroactively support the Allied effort in WWII.

I don't personally have a problem looking at any photos, but some people just have a low threshold for off-putting stuff. Is this really so difficult for you to understand?

What have you done to end the Sudanese conflict, Sam?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2008