why some materials reflect light more than others?

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by StMartin, Feb 24, 2008.

1. StMartin Registered Senior Member

Can we imply Huygens' principle, for explaining why mirror reflects light? Please click 2 times on Next step.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Look: Huygen associated patterns from to types of light-casting. Reflection, refraction.
    OK.
    What if both occurred and you had to sort through it, say for a light-scope that aided in determining the type of material being analyzed. Due to amount of diffused light, and original spectrum differencing.

Now, I've seen this. And, if you go racing around, screaming:
    WHY, WHY WHY!
    Well, they'll just throw you out of the lab. And, you'll have to get a knew job.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. StMartin Registered Senior Member

You are just talking and talking and talking... Can you calm down for a second? Can you speak more clearly? I asked, so if you don't like my question, please don't answer it. Sorry if I am being rude. My question was, why some reflect more and why some refract more than others? What is here unusual?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. I told you it's a quality. Reflection/refraction.

I keep telling you some of the things I know, then you rant and rave.
    Hit Meade's web site, look at the recommended reading, and go for it.

If you justed wanted to whine, enjoy yourself...

8. D H Some other guy Valued Senior Member

Apparently StMartin wasn't forthcoming enough. Decantemix, go away. Please.

9. StMartin Registered Senior Member

Can somebody please explain the whole process?

10. Vkothii Banned Banned

Watch some of Feynman's videos, or read some of the hundreds of thousands of online books about interaction (of light). Optics is a good lead-in subject, try "quantum optics".
    It isn't exactly a process, it's an interaction - that we describe as a process, because that's how we describe things.

You know the principle is used the other way, to trap molecules with light, so they stay in the same place, a "light mirror", as it were...?

11. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

Answer: albedo.

12. Montec Registered Senior Member

Hello StMartin

Plasma frequency is what defines the colors seen in metal mirrors. Plasma frequency is influenced by the band gap of the free electrons (electron cloud) in the metal. Surface electrons that are held more tightly (less freedom of movement) have lower plasma frequencies. Copper electrons are held more tightly than silver electrons. Hence silver reflects more of the "white light" spectrum than copper. Copper does not reflect the higher (blue end of the visible spectrum) frequencies of light so we see a reddish colored reflection.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. StMartin Registered Senior Member

Ok, thanks. And why it have so tiny refraction?