Why Not Have New Calender System ?

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by plakhapate, Feb 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Oh, ok.
    I think that when we will have colonies on other bodies in our star system we (as humanity) should count the time not in years, because that is too local, but in solar orbits. Let's say, one solar orbit around our galaxy is 100 000 units. So we can have a time counting method that is one for all of our solar system. And it can be used in other star systems too.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

plakhapate,

That all makes sense.

This . . . not so much. This month could also be called Undecember. The old Roman calendar had ten months and didn't have July or August. This made December the tenth month of the year — hence the name, which translates into "tenth month" ("Decem-" meaning "ten"). "Undecember" would translate to "eleventh month" ("Undecem-" meaning "eleven"). Thus, Undecember would be the theoredical eleventh month of the Roman calendar, and therefore the thirteenth month of this new calendar.

This seems like an odd naming scheme. I think the Year Ending Day could simply be called Year Day. In the cases of leap years, there could be two Year Days, the first one being called First Year Day, the second Second Year Day.

I'm in total agreement.

The fact that we reckon all time by our current calendar may be a factor. It would be a pain to have to go back to every day in our past and assign a corresponding day from our new calendar. Then we'd hafta recall all history textbooks and print new ones which showed the new dates.

I wonder when ya propose Year One should be. This should be a religion-neutral calendar, so no doing this by Jesus's birthday. Perhaps we could put Year One at the time Sputnik 1 was launched, since that was the first manmade object to have reached outer space (to the best of my knowledge).

There really is no such committee. It's not every day a new calendar system is proposed.

Gondolin,

. . . What?!

vslayer,

Is there an existing system for metric time?

. . . What?!

Ye'r talking about a Cosmic Year. It's one orbit around the Milky Way, which takes 250 million years long.

One 100,000<Sup>th</Sup> of a Cosmic Year &mdash; yer proposed "unit" &mdash; is about 2500 years long. That's longer than two millenia, a unit of time that we never reckon time with anyway. We should make a unit a smaller piece of the Cosmic Year to fix this problem.

I don't see anything wrong with sticking to our Earth calendar. It is, after all, our home planet, and we should keep our ties to the planet, even when we're spread out hundreds of lightyears away from it.

jennyRater,

It would make the most sense to drop either January and February, or July and August. January and February kuz . . . well . . . it just happens to work, and it's convenient. July and August kuz those months were additional months to begin with.

But really, any two months could be logically dropped, as long as neither of them are September, October, November, or December. The name of each month translates to "seventh month", "eighth month", "ninth month", and "tenth month", respectively. If we avoided dropping any of the last four months, their names would once again make sense.

Sounds kool.

That's a decision for the Christian church.

Okay.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Chairman_meow Registered Senior Member

if it aint broke, don't fix it.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. slotty Colostomy-its not my bag Registered Senior Member

We drive on the correct side of the road ( the left) because of Napoleon. When he went crashing round europe invading etc, he made every country adopt passing on the left when on horseback. He was left-handed and so would need anybody on that side to effectively be able to attack them with his sword. As he never invaded the UK we never implemented his rule, and as such drive on the left. Not like most of you " johnny forgeiner" types

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. jennyRater Luck B me 2nite Registered Senior Member

If we startd an all new calender, why not re-start the year count as well? THIS could be year 1 - or year 0, if you want to be trendy like new super hero comics...

yeah, thats a bit too longterm. If you want a single yr length to use on all our suns planets, why not go with the sun's spin period (26 days isnt it?) as a month, and just count years as 12 months like we do on earth?

I didnt know that! thanks!

now you mentiond it.. if it was to be a world calender, wed have to include festivals from the other big religions too. Do you know any that would fit wih my 5 inter month festival days?

9. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Better ban organized religion altogether! >

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

So you are in favour of disorganised religion?

11. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Not really, I don't favour any of them, but the organised ones are the most harmful because they unite infidel mob into one action and that can be and is dangerous.

12. jennyRater Luck B me 2nite Registered Senior Member

if 1 religion did mange to take ove rthe world, like the Muslims wantd to - maybe they still do - then we would all have the same calender before long.

Never mind calling the months by diferent names... Id just hate not having Xmas any more.

13. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

We still have Christmas? I thought we had reverted to Saturnalia.

14. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Anyways, why should we even need a new calendar system? The one we have works good since the ancient egyptians invented it.
    Although it should be noted that we screwed up the ancient egyptian system, so we have an imprecise calendar now.

note. that wasn't a mere 365 day calendar, it was a 365.25636 day calendar
    And it was the Romans who screwed it up so it had to be rescrewed in
    But the mathematicians of the gregorian calendar also were worse mathematicians and astronomers than ancient egyptians,
    so we now have a less advanced calendar than the ancient Egypt used.
    Talk about progress , eh?

15. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

The problem with switching to a new calendar is that future historians will have yet another set of dates to convert. The French Republicans created a new calendar, with Year One being the year of the revolution, every quarter having the same paradigm of months, and months with cute French names like Thermidor and Brumaire. Thankfully it never caught on and France quickly readopted the Julian calendar and eventually the Gregorian.

It's bad enough that China and Israel use their own ancient calendars, and that they aren't even in synch. They don't even celebrate New Year's Day on the same day as we do or as each other. They each claim that their calendar goes back 5,000 years or more and therefore should be respected. But I think in both cases someone invented the calendar more like 3,000 years ago and added 2,000 years to it to make it seem ancient and venerable. When you read a document in Chinese or Hebrew you have to go through an elaborate conversion to find not just the right date but the right year, because they handle Leap Year differently than we do. (Although both peoples often toss in the Gregorian date for our benefit)

The changeover from the Julian calendar to the Gregorian was a nightmare for the whole world. People missed their birthdays. That may seem trivial but most of us wouldn't feel that way if it was our birthday. Important dates like George Washington's birthday had to be recalculated. Not every country could get its government or its people to make the conversion in the same year, some procrastinated for decades, making the modern headache of flying from one time zone into another seem like a trifle.

Remember Y2K? Even though the IT profession rose to the challenge and prevented it from being a catastrophe, it was still a big pain in the ass. That's nothing compared to what a complete calendar changeover would be. Nobody wants to go through that again.

I doubt very much that by the 23rd Century, Star Fleet will even be able to suggest that we switch over to Star Dates, without being booed.

16. jennyRater Luck B me 2nite Registered Senior Member

Dont star dates actualy derive from an earth calender like the Gregorian? Going over to them'd be more a nightmre for the other Federation planets than for us..!

17. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

What are stardates? How are they calculated?

18. river-wind Valued Senior Member

inertia. We will not be able to switch to a new calendar system until some sort of catastrophic break from our cultural past occurs.

"It is only when you loose everything that you can do anything."

19. jennyRater Luck B me 2nite Registered Senior Member

Who said that?

20. river-wind Valued Senior Member

A roughly translated Fight Club movie quote, don't know if it comes from somewhere else directly.
    I first encountered the idea in the Dao De Ching, which states that the best way to learn is to be like a child, un-encombered by assumptions.
    In this case, a new calendar can't really be adopted unless our culture is forcefully brought back to the level of a child, by dictator, war or natural disaster. The current calendar isn't bad enough for everyone to accept the change willingly.

21. plakhapate Banned Banned

If we all come together and decide to change the existing system, it can happen.
    Should we have public voting for this change ?

P.J.LAKHAPATE

22. Silas asimovbot Registered Senior Member

What, nobody else laughed at 1100f's joke? I thought it was funny....

We're pretty damn lucky in fact, despite all the differences in different calendrical systems employed by various different religions, that the whole rest of the world has consented to utilise a system that originated in Europe only relatively recently. Islamic countries even put the CE date on their coins alongside the Mohammedan date. Expecting everybody in the world to convert to a new system is utter fantasy, I'm afraid. And as has been sensibly pointed out, the computer programming involved would be quite prohibitive. (As a computer programmer, I wasn't expecting the world-wide catastrophe predicted for Y2K because really that wasn't such a big deal to change.)

J.R.R. Tolkien invented a new 12 month calendar that eliminated the need for week day names, since the calendar was synchronised so that each date was on the same day each year.

Each month had 30 days, for 360 days of the year. In addition, the day before New Years Day was called ForeYule and New Year's Day was called Yule. Midsummers's day (or Mid-Year's day) was called Lithe and the days preceding and succeeding were Forelithe and Afterlithe. These five extra days were outside the months, so that "December" 30 was the day before Foreyule, and "January" 1st was the day after Yule. In leap years there is an extra day's holiday at Lithe, also outside the months.

23. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

How about a metric Calendar? We could switch to a metric clock at the same time. There could be 10 months in a year, 100 days in a year, 10 days in a month, 10 hours in a day, 100 minutes in an hour, 100 seconds in a minute etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.