Why Not Have New Calender System ?

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by plakhapate, Feb 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plakhapate Banned Banned

At preesent there are 12 months having different days for each month.
    Every year we have to see the calender.
    Also date and days are different for every month.

Instead of this consider 7 days /week, 4 weeks/month and 13 months/year
    This becomes 364 days.
    Every year we shoud have holiday as year ending day as extra day.
    During leap year we can have extra holiday after year ending day.
    Thus 1st of every month will be always on Monday.
    Since there are 4 weeks/month, every month will be identical.
    13th Month can be named as Thirteenember
    Year Ending Day can be named as YEDAY (Date will be 29th Thirteenember)
    Leap Year Day can be named as LEDAY((Date will be 30th Thirteenember)

By using this calender our measuring system becomes very simple.

Can anybody answer why are we not implementing this ?

P.J.LAKHAPATE
    pjlakhap@bechtel.com

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Wings Registered Senior Member

Remember the Millenium virus scare? There was a glitch in the computer stuff? Imagine all the reprogramming that would have to be done just to fix the computers. Then there's changes to national holidays, religious holidays (Catholic Easter and American Thanksgiving would be particularly tricky). People would forget your birthday, and that would be sad. Voting systems would change. I cant imagine the world community is ready to take on that much effort. The financial costs would absurd. Those countries that couldn't afford it would be in a fix.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Iris Registered Senior Member

Sheesh, we can't even finish switching over to the metric system--how we gonna implement an entirely new calendar?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Gondolin Hell hath no fury like squid Registered Senior Member

I also have an idea. We can read time differently. I have created a series of dots, letters, numbers, exclamation points, and animals that will help us read time easier.

Example: 1:30pm would be ..sw42!23..goose...fj44:

Easy huh?

8. vslayer Registered Senior Member

9. plakhapate Banned Banned

Can anybody tell me the name and address (phone/fax no/ email ) of the committee or panel who decides about the accptance of new calender system ?

P.J.LAKHAPATE
    pjlakhap@bechtel.com

10. Jolly Rodger Banned Banned

yeah lets do it, lets change the world, maybe if we get enopugh people, just us oin the forum to change our calander, everyone will follow after all, we are the cool nerds!!
    I mean i dont leave my computer much but if you guys did i am sure we could start a tread, because that would make us cool tready nerds
    cool idea

11. vslayer Registered Senior Member

lets just start with time for now, we can write a proram for a metric clock

12. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I count time in ATU's (Avatar Time Units),
    everything befory my this-life is b.a.c.e. (Before Avatar's Current Era).

Last edited: Feb 14, 2005
  13. Jolly Rodger Banned Banned

how does that work?

14. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Well, since my position in timespace continum varies I can not use a time counting system based on full moons, etc, because at one place there may be no moon at all, or be some 15 of them, so 850 carbon-based life cycles ago I thought that I need to count my being in something that is always where I am, that is myself. Because I'm not always carbon based my prime time measuring unit is Avatar Time Unit (as told). An ATU is basically the time it takes for 1 RIGT (or Random Idea Generation Time) to occur in particulary my mind.
    The only problem is that it is rather difficult for other entities to accept time measuring in ATU's, and they always annoy me and convert ATU's in moons, many summers, seconds, cesium decay times, etc.

15. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

lol @ Gondolin

16. melodicbard Registered Senior Member

plakhapate,

Maybe the ISO.
    The week-based ISO 8601 system is used in commerce and industry.

17. 1100f Banned Registered Senior Member

In England, they have succesfully switched to the metric system.
    Now they are trying to switch to drive on the right side of the roads. They are preparing to prepare an experiment where all cars in England will be driven on the right side of the roads. If, after on month, this experiment succeed, they will let trucks and buses drive on the right side of the roads also.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2005
  18. vslayer Registered Senior Member

why drive on the right? the left works just fine. despite the avoidance of crashes caused by ignorant americans on the wrong side of the road, there are no advantages, it wolud jsut cost money and during the first few years ther wolud be a limbo state where no-one knows where to go, and crashes are 10x more often

19. jennyRater Luck B me 2nite Registered Senior Member

we should have -

10 long months of 36 days each (have a global vote on which 2 monthnames to drop).

5 special days not part of any month, 1 fitted in between evry 2 months. these would be public holidays - the 1st would come before january, and thatd be New Years day. The 2nd special day could be Easter, so we wouldnt have to keep changing its date every year. Thhe 5th special day could be Halloween, and the other 2... we could invent names.

Christmas + Indepndence day would stay inside their months, of course. For leap years, just make the New year holiday 2 days long before starting January.

20. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

p.s. possible only in the USA

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

21. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

I am quite happy with the current system. Do we really want to have the same date always falling on the same weekday? Boring, in my view. Stay with what we have until tidal forces have slowed us down to another day or two per year.
    If you want a serious calendar discussion then have a look at what we will need for Mars.

22. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

A discussion about that in Sciforums? A link?

23. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Sorry Avatar, was that question directed to my comment on Martian calendars? If so there is no discussion at present, it just has interesting possibilities. These are explored in some detail in Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy. I think Robert Zubrin also addresses the issue in The Case for Mars.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.