Why no Luna orbital camera?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by craterchains (Norval, Sep 26, 2004.

1. lek Registered Member

There was also this.
    Still doesnt show the dust specs tho

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. FieryIce Tic Toc, World in Cobalt Blue Registered Senior Member

Well it seems several have been asking this same question along with a few other why for's and how comes! LPOD

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

ask the Russians to release more of there crappy images then.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

I think that Clementine is what you're after, craterchains.
    You can browse Clementine images here: Clementine Lunar Image Browser 1.5
    The site also links to copies of the original data if you want it.

Interestingly, a Space.com article in 2001 reported that the Apollo 15 landing site had been found in Clementine images.

8. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

You didn't answer the 'why' question FieryIce. You just said that we don't have good pictures, and should. You have explained why it's worth the cost when we have more interesting planetoids out there.

9. FieryIce Tic Toc, World in Cobalt Blue Registered Senior Member

I hate to bust your bubble Pete but Clementine was a military mission and we all know where the military puts their images.

http://www-phys.llnl.gov/clementine/status/status.html

http://www-phys.llnl.gov/clementine/timeline.html

Oh wow, they mapped the moon for 76 days then took off chasing an asteroids tail.

http://www.cmf.nrl.navy.mil/clementine/traject.html

10. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

You suggesting they're not available?
    Did you look?

11. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I think we all know why these two want those pictures and we all know there reasoning.
    unfortunately its very unlikely that what they want is actually there waiting to be photographed up close or already photographed but covered up by secret government conspiracy. Its much more likely what they want is simple not there, its also very likely that these two would believe its there anyways no matter what, even if there was complete maps of the moon at .1m showing nothing but rocks and dust, they would believe otherwise and claim government conspiracy anyways. So photos or not these two have a select conclusions their waiting for us to come upon and believe, unfortunately for them were not crazy kooks and it’s very unlikely we will come upon those conclusions or believe them.

12. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

No... they shouldn't see nearly as many line craters on the moon because the Earth would have too much of an effect to anything that broke up in orbit like that.

Of course they'll probably use this as 'evidence' that the aliens agreed to leave this planet alone.

13. FieryIce Tic Toc, World in Cobalt Blue Registered Senior Member

14. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

Because it's a waste of time. You have two glasses. You want some Pepsi. You go over and see that the first glass has a yellow liquid. That's not what your looking for. Rather than taste it to see if it's just the wrong color you look at the other glass. It's a brown liquid, and you taste that because it's more likely Pepsi.

We've already given the moon a look... more so than any body besides Earth. There are plenty of other more intersting places in our system to look at, which we have almost no detail on.

Using your logic we shouldn't even be on the moon yet. There are still plenty of things in the seas which are unknown. "How do we know what's there if we don't look in detail?"

15. FieryIce Tic Toc, World in Cobalt Blue Registered Senior Member

Try taking that tactic up with Chuck Wood and let us know his response.
    STDD

16. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

I could care less what his response is... but that's besides the point.

17. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Try taking that tactic up with Chuck Wood and let us know his response.

His response would most likely be to take amateur pictures of the moon with amateur telescopes, just like what appears on his website. Any other brilliant questions?

18. weed_eater_guy It ain't broke, don't fix it! Registered Senior Member

Actually, high-res pics might be nice to have for future missions to find nice landing sites. other than that, little green men, we WILL find you, you and your little lunar summer camp too...

19. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

They have sharkers with freakin lasers on their head.... don't mess with them!

20. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

I think it would be cool to have a high-speed camera orbiting earth and streaming back live. Just have several points for it to transmit back and then display them on the net somewhere.

p.s. does anyone know where I could get a hi-res video of earth from orbit, I don’t really care about the moon =]

21. craterchains (Norval What will you know tomorrow? Registered Senior Member

24 inch scopes are not amature.

22. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

23. FieryIce Tic Toc, World in Cobalt Blue Registered Senior Member

No matter how many inches you have the fact remains, there is no Luna orbital camera(s).

But I do agree, a 24 inch scope is not amature.