Why no blue or green fur?

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by Dinosaur, Nov 17, 2003.

1. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

maybe brown is a better camouflage colour overall than green.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. BigBlueHead Great Tealnoggin! Registered Senior Member

Maybe brown is sexier to the ladies than green.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

There have been a few posts here which mentioned polar bear fur. Many years ago there was a myth published many times as scientific truth.

The myth was that polar bear fur was not fur, but some type of crystalline substance which converted light to heat with an efficiency (90-99%) far beyond any substance or mechanism manufactured by our technology.

The above myth did not get published in Scientific American or any serious journal, but made it to magazines like Discover.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Dinosaur,

If you call it a myth then you most have proof of that right?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

Neuromancer All I have are memories of articles I read many years ago.

For at least ten years I believed the myth about polar bear hair, having read it in some reasonably reputable magazine like Discover.

Then I either noticed a more reputable article or somebody drew my attention to such an article.

I now believe that the original article was a hoax that had been published once and then repeated without verification. Once the myth is questioned, it does not seem very reasonable.

If you anlayze the claim for well over 90% efficiency compared to far less efficient human methods, you might conclude that research would result in modern technology duplicating the effect. Think of the market for a passive home heating using such an efficient mechanism. Also the claim that the substance is crystalline rather than being fur seems a bit hard to believe.

9. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

10. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

That may be a myth, it certainly sounds like one, but that doesn't mean polar bears having hollow transparent fur is a myth.

11. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

Easuly speaking, I am surprised...... but if that myth is true, is there any other such species which grows such 'odd' hair?