Why most Motorola phones have no Secondary Camera?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Saint, Mar 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saint Valued Senior Member

Why most Motorola phones have no Secondary Camera?
    It is 3G, having >5MP camera, but has no front camera, why?
    you can't make video call.
    the other side can not see your face.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

•4" high-definition color touch screen
    With a 16:9 aspect ratio for clear viewing of your text messages, photos and videos.
    •5.0MP digital camera
    With high-definition video recording and a VGA front camera.
    •MP3 playback
    Lets you listen to your favorite tunes on the go.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Motorol...d=1218292464161&skuId=1800355&contract_desc=2 YEARS NEW

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

I don't have cell phone never have =/ who would call me

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Some horny guys that got your number from a card in a nearby telephone booth???

Just kidding, if you had a mobile you can obviously add it to your CV/Resume, use it as a contact number for jobs, or just rig it up to annoy the hell out of you every time someone posts a stupid comment on Facebook.

Heck you could even surf the forum if it hasn't been blocked by the telecom's company like Orange has. (Apparently this site rates "Mature" ha!)

8. Saint Valued Senior Member

but most motorola phones with high specs do not have front camera, only a few have

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Then by all means choose one that has the features that you desire. That's why we have choices in what kind of a camera we buy, some have the things we want and others do not. Just like some people want a forward facing camera and some people do not. The manufacturers give you plenty of options to decide upon and the final choice, of course, is you own.

10. Saint Valued Senior Member

If you compare among motorola, samsung, nokia etc, most high end phones will have both cameras, only motorola has very few phones with both camera.

11. Saint Valued Senior Member

I just don't understand, why Motorola does not think that people may want to make video call, you need a front camera.
    Motorala had improved a lot by making high end Android phones, with 8MP camera,
    but it just lacks phone of front camera,
    Why?

12. phlogistician Banned Banned

Video calling is pretty much a novelty, that's why they don't bother. In business we installed various video-conferencing setups, because people asked for it, but in reality it was hardly used, because regular conference calls are more productive. Most people do other things while on the phone, walking, taking notes,... it's not something you need to see.

13. Chipz Banned Banned

I'm shocked about how important this relatively inconsequential truth is to you.

14. Saint Valued Senior Member

I just made a comparison between moto, nokia, samsung, sony ericson etc,
    I found that most high end phones got both cameras, except moto.
    Moto does have, but very minimum models.
    So what is the design principle of moto in terms of camera requirements?

15. phlogistician Banned Banned

Nah, I have an HTC HD2 Touch, and it has no 2nd camera, because they are pointless, and require too much compromise of design over utility.

16. phlogistician Banned Banned

Nah, I have an HTC HD2 Touch, and it has no 2nd camera, because they are pointless, and require too much compromise of design over utility.

17. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

My Samsung Galaxy S doesn't have a front camera, and that is a high end phone (most expensive model in the store, at least when I bought it a couple of months ago). The iPhone didn't have a front camera until the latest model, IIRC. The high-end HTC phones I've seen also lack front camera.

I expect that they've done extensive market research on this question, and determined that the demand for front camera will not justify the cost of adding it (which includes impact on the screen size and form factor, not just price), at least on most models. Even (or, especially?) when the front camera is cheap and low quality (like on the Apple products). If Motorola thought there was money to be made by including front cameras, they'd be doing it - we can be sure that this is no oversight or ignorance on their part. They have entire teams of very smart, experienced people working around the clock on this stuff.

Anecdotally, most people do not care about video calls very much at all. It makes a cool looking application for advertizements, but most people really are not that interested in actually making video calls on a day-to-day basis (and so, won't pay extra or tolerate compromises in the form factor and screen size). That said, I think you'll see this more and more in coming years as cameras get so cheap and small that the extra cost is negligible.

Video calls have long been the technology that everyone thinks that everyone wants, but nobody actually wants very much. It seems like an obviously good idea - like a phone call, but you can see the other person! Except if you think about how most people use their phones, this isn't so useful - especially mobile phones (no point in video calls while driving or walking). More than that, a key aspect of telephony is that both sides of a call can pay only half attention to each other, while enjoying the pretense that the other end is paying full attention to them. Video calling breaks that - you'll have to stare into the camera the whole time and do nothing else, or the other end will know that you aren't paying attention. The set of use cases where both sides really want to see each other and pay full attention is pretty small - calls home from soldiers stationed abroad, Christmas call to grandma, that sort of thing. For day-to-day calls, I don't want video.

David Foster Wallace included a discursion on this subject somewhere - in Infinite Jest maybe? - wherein video telephony is introduced and everybody initially buys it in excitement. Then they quickly realize that they don't like people noticing that they aren't paying attention to them during calls, so they start substituting fake "avatars" for their video feed to avoid this. But then the resolution of the video increases, and the avatars become obvious, so people start investing in increasingly ornate and realistic video avatars. Eventually this becomes ridiculous and the cool kids start simply taping over their front cameras with black electrical tape. Adults shortly follow, and soon enough video telephony is eliminated entirely in favor of audio-only calling. Science fiction, obviously, but pretty insightful.

18. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

The principle is "make profits."

19. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Saint,
    Perhaps it's down to the internal design, after all two camera's requires either two separate chipsets to handle imagery, or they have to be paired through one chipset that handles it. This could cause an increase in the energy required to run the phone and changes in software because of switching between the posed peripherals.

I guess you could pose that a future Moto model will likely include the extra's, if of course it's proven to be a market sell point. I guess the question should be, "Do phones with the dual cameras sell better than those with only one camera?".

20. Saint Valued Senior Member

frankly, my Nokia N85 has 2 cameras, but I very very seldom use the front camera for video call, video call needs 3G, and the charges is also more expensive.
    Why do we need to see people in the phone?
    I even lazy to make voice call, I prefer to SMS, my message is clearer when I type it.
    Anyway, most 3G phones of samsung, nokia etc, have dual cameras.

Front camera can let you to take picture of yourself, some people used it to take naked picture of sex video of themselves.

21. phlogistician Banned Banned

You really are starting to sound like a creep dude.

22. Saint Valued Senior Member

many people show their own naked photos online, those photos or videos were taken by front camera of their phones.

23. phlogistician Banned Banned

And you still sound creepy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.