Why Microsoft should be banned from operation in the US

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Tiassa, Jun 24, 2004.

1. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

He's probably right in that people aren't buying linux. They're downloading it for free, so how would they get the numbers?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Alpha «Visitor» Registered Senior Member

There are several markets OS share can be measured in: PCs, servers, PDAs, etc.
    You also need to determine the period being measured: 1- Market share in past year, or 2 - for all computers currently in use. 2 is much too difficult to determine, so chances are the figures are for 1.
    Then there's the question of how it's to be measured. 1 - How much money spent on liscences? That doesn't really work, linux is free, and some people pirate windows, so that doesn't really tell you anything.
    2 - You could count the number of liscenses shipped/installed. But that doesn't work either.
    3 - Number of hits on a popular website with PCs with a certain OS? That doesn't work either. What about dual-boot systems? What about proxies?
    4 - Polls? As if those results wouldn't be skewed for a number of reasons.
    Etc., etc., etc. The problems go on and on. There's really no way to accurately measure the OS market share. Only get vague estimates. But it isn't really known just how much of the market share linux has. There are many versions, it is free, and widely distributed through unmonitored means (filesharing, burning CDs, etc.).

Now I ask you, how did they determine the market share? I bet you it is not accurate.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Rick Valued Senior Member

as i said in my earlier statement.You are more experienced than IBM first of all,then you are more experienced than Reuters etc. You must be Jacques Welsh right?

bye!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Rick Valued Senior Member

The results are only skewed untill Linux's share doesnt become 100% isnt it? after that,your reply would transform drastically to :Wow! Reuters are doing great Job!...

gee...
    bye!

8. Alpha «Visitor» Registered Senior Member

What does my experience have to do with it? Obviously you can't refute my arguments. Did they even say how they determined the numbers in the article? Do you have a link to the article online? Try actually refuting people's arguments with arguments of your own.
    Who's Jacques Welsh?

9. Rick Valued Senior Member

take a look at excerpts of the report :
    And some people say Linux is rising? hahahaha....
    PS: Welsh ( CEO of GE?!)

bye!

10. Alpha «Visitor» Registered Senior Member

I asked you for a link to the source, not a reproduction. I tried googling some quotes from it, and y'know it's funny but I can't seem to find any reference to Times or Rueters. I think you lied. The only thing I can find it on is winnetmag.com, an obviously biased site.
    None of that refutes the arguments in my post anyway. It's easy to fudge the numbers, especially with so many ways of looking at it, and determining them.
    And yes, linux is rising. More rapidly than you might think.

11. Fenris Wolf Banned Banned

As soon as linux reaches a position of true competition with Microsoft, it'll be as tempting a target as windows is - and will become as bloated over time as more and more protections and upgrades are required to stay ahead of those who wish to break it. When that happens, it'll no longer be a free distribution because more effort and time (read: money) will be required for distributors to keep it running effectively.

Linux works now because it's the almost exclusive province of those who know what they're doing, and thus not generally open to abuse through lack of knowledge. It's been pointed out before that Microsoft is geared towards those who don't really know how computers work, only how to "drive" them. To that end, it's quite simply the best operating system out there. Apple os's have been mentioned as being more stable - but those who mention them fail to take into account Apple's 20% (ballpark) market share - anyone who wants to cause widespread damage to computer systems doesn't bother with Apple or linux.

The Big Dog is the target - and is forced to protect himself. This results in bloat, proprietry software and non-open source. Use your heads.

12. thefountainhed Fully Realized Valued Senior Member

I won't bother.

Quite frankly it is you talking out of your ass. If you have 100 gigs of relevant data you could not do without then pigs fucking fly.

Fine.

This will be the last fucking time:
    Imagine attempting to design an OS that will run on multiple processors and architectures, some low end and some high end.
    As the software maker doing functional testing, you pick some contraints to live by for a range of values that fit your main. Thus, those with better machines will invariably get better performance.

Fuck this.

No because you are talking out of your ass and I'm realizing I'm talking to a person who'd rather lie to support his bullshit.

Yea, linux picks up all your hardware.. you have a livecd and it boots faster than windows. Yea windows and generally micrsoft make pissy software. big business like ms should simply aim to please you. the performance of software should be independent of the hardware. yea, I bet you also believe the ending of Independence day when goldbrum someone latched unto a machine with a different architecture. Shit, and I can't even run civ2 on a mac. I'm done with you.

13. Alpha «Visitor» Registered Senior Member

I disagree. Linux is, and will always be open source. One of the reasons windows is bloated is because it is closed source. People will always be able to improve on Linux due to it's open source nature. And no, it won't fall into a lot of the traps windows has. Another good thing is the design of linux means it doesn't become incredibly bloated when it fixes security holes. Sometimes it may even get smaller.
    Actually, it's more than that, but I only lost the data on the 160Gb drive. And I didn't say I couldn't do without all of it. I just said I lost over 100Gb of data and that some of it was irreplacable. Frankly I don't give a shit if you don't believe me.
    I have not lied in years, so I don't know how you've come to that conclusion. You call me a liar for no other reason than my claims contradict yours.
    Lol, of course not. 'Cause we all know the aliens agreed to use the USB standard.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2004
  14. Rick Valued Senior Member

The Big,question is not wether i point the source out to or not.I am in process of doing that BTW,as soon its done,i"ll post(it was from Time Mag Issue.)The big question is:are you willing to accept any source other than your own head?

I think this discussion is pointless,as you are not ready to accept logical things,...Stop Marijuana intake...

bye!

15. GuitarToadster Packin' six-string heat! Registered Senior Member

Point is, about your Time article, that it only takes into account sales of OS. Linux is DLed more than it is sold... especially home users.

Hell, I have DLed Red Hat 7.1, 7.3, 8.0, Debian (don't remember which version), ASP 7.2, 7.3, Mandrake 9.0, 9.1 Ark Linux Alpha 7, Virtual Linux and Slackware. I even DLed ASP Linux 7.2 on a dial up connection using their downloading program built specifically to do so! Took a week or so running the system all night but I got it... it was my first version to play with. I got it on an old Acer desktop system running @ 366 Mhz with a conexant HCF 56 k v.90 modem (winmodem)... I got the modem to run on that system using an Octiplus setting in KPPP I believe... ran great... I had a ton of problems with that computer with wincarp 98. To the point where I formatted the whole drive and installed ASP Linux 7.2 and used that for months... exclusively. Only reason I put wincrap on my PC now is... I had a lot of games for it and couldn't see tossing them out or giving them away for practically nothing.

I am not a fanatic, just a believer in things that are free. I can't complain one bit about all the troubles I had setting up Linux on different machines (sound card, video card, monitors, etc).... you get what you pay for right? Well, considering I paid nothing but the cost of a service I had already subscribed to (internet) and just bought some disks and took the time to burn it (seriously, if you can't figure out how to burn an iso.... do a little research, it's not hard) I got way more than I paid for! A ton!

I have program development kits, html editors, KOffice is my choice for word processing... thought Open Office sucked, Gimp is a great drawing program, tons of free games to twiddle my time away with, C and C+ (tons more) development suites, and a whole bunch more! For nothing! You're an idiot if you think that's a waste of time (or money)! Call me a geek but I love a challenge when it comes to computers... if I have the time I want to learn!

What does wincrap give ya? Paint? Wow, real good program. (linux has a ripoff of the same thing that is better... KPaint, I believe) What games come with window$ for free? I don't even remember... hold on... freecell, hearts, minesweeper and solitaire... what a bundle of joy! An afterthought. Any development suites in wincrap? Nope. Html editors? Nope. Office suites? Nope... oh wait wordpad and notepad... ooooo! All that and I have to fork over $200? What a bargain!

Don't ban Micro$hit from the world! Let the dummies keep buying it! It's their money! They can do what they want with it... go ahead, give it to Billy Boy... he'll take it. Actually, I shouldn't call window$ lovers/users dummies... more like... I feel sorry for them if they need to keep paying a fortune for something that I feel is inferior.

Note: the only reason linux doesn't have up to date drivers is that there are very few companies making drivers for linux... Not Linux fault... it's not like it isn't capable of doing what wincrap does... just that the $$$ grubbing companies just keep on making their stuff for window$, that's all. Truly Linux has the capability and more than window$.

16. Ozymandias Unregistered User Registered Senior Member

I sent you some in a plastic baggie.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

17. Alpha «Visitor» Registered Senior Member

I'll evaluate it just as I would any other source.
    LOL, if you say so. I don't happen to do drugs BTW.
    winnetmag.com is a pro-windows site. They have a financial interest in windows, so obviously they'll print anything that promotes it.
    75% of statistics are made up. Ever heard anything like that? There's reason for it. Many statistics are biased and don't actually show what they seem to. It has already been shown why those quoted stats are not likely reliable. I'd like to see the original article though, and see if I can determine how the stats where gathered & interpreted.

BTW, I think thefountainhed protests too much. I bet he also has a financial interest in windows.

18. dsdsds Valued Senior Member

I didn't care much for MS until I bought some stock last year. Thanks Bill!
    Wooohooo!

19. GRO$$ Registered Senior Member

I do not understand you people! You curse Microsoft, yet you continue to use it! By using it, you are supporting the company! This isn't a monopoly, or they would have been broken up. And no, they don't "own the government". Both Linux-based and Apple's OS'ed are very valid competitors to Windows. Personally, I have gotten to know Windows XP Pro very well, and have run it flawlessly on both my home, girlfriend's, and some friend's computers (with 0 third party programs running in the background).

If you hate Windows so extremely, go use a Linux distro, but that's not going to be perfect right away either. If you're that pissed at Windows I suggest you try SuSE or Gentoo (the latter is a bit 'raw', though), as though they seem to me to be the two distros that are really going places in the near future.

20. candy Valued Senior Member

You should have tried being on the web before there was windows then you might comprehend what a leap forward it was.

21. GuitarToadster Packin' six-string heat! Registered Senior Member

Windows has nothing to do with the internet and most Netscape based browsers run circles around Internet Explorer.

I for one, haven't bought anything from Microsoft (except a game called Freelancer for $20) and never will. My first computer with an OS came with windows 3.1 built into it... the second one had 3.11... the third had wincrap 98 preloaded (all were bought used so someone else paid M$, not me) and my current version of wincrud 98 SE came from eBay...

So you see, some of us don't support the crap called Microsoft and never will. So I can bitch all I want... ;>}

Oh yeah... I use Linux for anything important (business) Window$ is only useful to play games. Use Linux for browsing and you will notice the difference in speed online. Especially since Unix (basis of Linux) is what created the internet to begin with.

22. Alpha «Visitor» Registered Senior Member

Mozilla based actually. Mozilla was the first graphical web browser, which Netscape is based on.

23. thefountainhed Fully Realized Valued Senior Member

Use Linux for browsing and you will notice the difference in speed online. Especially since Unix (basis of Linux) is what created the internet to begin with.
    You are obviously clueless as to what determines net "speed".