Why Microsoft should be banned from operation in the US

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Tiassa, Jun 24, 2004.

1. thefountainhed Fully Realized Valued Senior Member

Of course it does. Why should the opinions of others with regards to software I use matter to me?

Stabibility should be expected if you are willing to purchase a high-end pc. For browsing, instant messaging, etc stability is NOT a NEED. If you have a web server, then this is entirely different.

Typo. Adaware is spyware. On every startup, it sends a message to a unknown host over the web-- we are talking the free version.

nonsense. When you test a software made for the masses, you simply ensure that it will mostly do its required tasks on a generic machine. You do not know the specific hardware of the user.

AKA plug and play; aka registry entries, etc etc. On unix or other comparatively bare systems, the process is more user intensive.

Newer versions of linux keep coming out have better G user interfaces. And who the hell is saying you have to do bla bla bla for it to work? It's already installed.

Moron. Pick up an antenna and get CNN. My point is that CNN is a paid service. Comcast charges you for CNN and they also charge CNN for the use of their network. It's a business. Yes, I an ECE. What have I said that contradicts that?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2004
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Alpha «Visitor» Registered Senior Member

No it doesn't. It implies that you might, maybe even that you should, but you don't need to.
    It's not about the software you use, it's about Microsoft's software, which you just happen to use. It should matter to you because you are in the debate too. If it doesn't then why are you posting in this thread?
    You shouldn't have to buy a high end PC to get stability. Oh wait, you don't. And who are you to say what is and isn't a need for someone. Let each individual make that choice themselves. If I'm a paying customer and I say I need/want stability, you better provide. Regardless of what I want it for. I happen to have lost over 100Gb of data (some irreplacable) because I was using windows. I happen to be a home user, but that doesn't mean I don't need stability. I have damn good reasons for needing stability on my pc, and Microsoft's products don't make the cut.
    Yeah, if you have it set to check for updates. Why don't you email them about it? Try checking your facts, as they're erroneous.
    "A software"? Bad english. You should say, "a program", or "an application". And how does that make it nonsense? You just confirmed what I said...
    Depends. It can be. My linux detects my hardware with 0 user interaction. No clicks, no typing, no inserting CDs, nothing. As for "comparatively bare", the term used to describe windows in this regard is called bloatware. A whole mess of unstable crap that isn't needed, or is bigger than necessary. When you run windows it takes about 100-300 MB of RAM from a fresh boot. My linux does everything windows does from a fresh boot (only about twice as fast) and only loads about 40Mb or less into RAM at boot. That's bloatware.
    Actually, it's a livecd that hasn't been modified since before I bought my computer, and so it has to detect and install the hardware every time I boot to it (which it does about 10 times faster than windows I might add).
    Namecalling now, are we? Common sign of a lesser intellect. Are you?
    An antenna? You said cable. Comcast? I don't happen to have comcast, though that's not really relevant. I don't know where you live, but here CNN isn't a subscription channel, and the ones that are are controlled by the cable company. You pay them for subscription channels to get them. Any scrambling is done by the cable provider.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. airavata portentous Registered Senior Member

Why're you people so desperate to promote Linux?
    Windows is very simple to use and I haven't had any problems with it.
    So why change it? I suspect this is the mentality of the majority.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Rick Valued Senior Member

Monopoly? its not monopoly,i"ll tell you since most of the others are incompetent.(Linux could have been a different story,but who's promoting Linux? Not Bill Gates.I can bet if Bill gates was CEO of Red Hat or may be Suse of Mandrake Corp,Linux would have been a story of great success,even so had he been in shoes of Steve Jobs,he would have been even more successful.I can bet on that.

Really Mr. Linus Torvalds?Compare the user setting up a connection in Linux,(I had loads of trouble getting connection because the damm Linux Machine doesnt support my Modem

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

) to in Windows...You know what i am talking about...

Linux is great,But you need Agressive Advertising and Ease of use in the software to promote it.Plus efficiency.What does Linux do? nothing. and lately with all fucking law suits,Linux's future is in trouble...As far as Mac goes,well Steve Jobs is already looking for a new Job,as he was earlier when he was sacked from the Board of Apple.

People Bash Microsoft out of Jealous nature,that's all. gee...

bye!

8. Alpha «Visitor» Registered Senior Member

Not desperate at all. It's simply the best alternative to windows, IMO. Linux can be simple to use as well. If you haven't had any problems with it, then you are not getting the full use out of your computer you could be. Which may not bother you. If not, that's fine, stick with windows. Most people do have problems though. Problems that linux or other open source programs can help with or fix.
    Windows has more drivers than linux, and new drivers must be written to support new hardware. It's getting better though.
    Linux can beat windows hands down in efficiency.
    I think most linux users aren't jealous, they simply want things windows doesn't provide.

9. fadingCaptain are you a robot? Valued Senior Member

XP runs fine for the most part if you strip it down and keep it clean. Still some annoying design issues there that I wont get into.

Linux is a good alternative but people seem unwilling to go there. I guess that is a testament to either MS marketing or quality! I find monopolies disturbing and MS is the biggest of them all...still how are you to fault them?

The solution is either: shift in market/demand (which doesn't seem to be coming) or litigation. I am not a fan of government infringement on the free market. So its a bit of a catch 22.

10. Alpha «Visitor» Registered Senior Member

Actually, it's a testament to their legal department. They have vicious contracts and EULAs. Many companies have been locked in, not realising what they were agreeing to. So M$ took control of the market, and got windows on the majority of machines, so most programmers would make software (including games) for windows over other platforms, since they want the biggest audience. That's why people stick with windows, because that's where the games are, or because they're under contract.

11. fadingCaptain are you a robot? Valued Senior Member

So I take it you think their tactics are illegal or require further litigation to rectify? Or is this all fair game in an open and free market?

12. dsdsds Valued Senior Member

People should stop dumping on Microsoft. If you hate MS products, stop buying and using them. Simple.
    As for “Bill Gates should be in prison for the rest of his life for being a lying piece of shit.” Well, come on Tiassa. Bill gates is a genius. He’s a geek that made it big and is a role model to other kids. He’s also becoming a great philanthropist. Honestly, I’d rather have him hold the richest person title than any other executive. Who’s your favorite billionaire?

13. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

That latter only reinforces the idea that Gates should be in prison. The fact that he is a philanthropist doesn't really make up for the negative effect he's had on business and therefore personal ethics in the United States.

Bill Clinton parsing the word "is" has nothing on Gates.

14. Rick Valued Senior Member

Would you just stop bitching?

Oh,well do you mean to say that companies like IBM were small toddlers to get locked up in these deals.Man this is getting too far dont you think guys? I mean come on...Jealousness to that extent? man...

bye!

15. Baal Zebul Somewhat Registered User Registered Senior Member

Honestly, if Bill Gates did not have Microsoft what would he do?

I think he deseves it cause just imagine him working at McDonalds, it would just not fly.

16. Rick Valued Senior Member

What the hell is all this? are you serious Tiassa? or are you posting 'cause you have to...You remember Tony? you are seriously beginning to remind me of him? ...man...

bye!

17. Rick Valued Senior Member

Baal Zeb,
    The problem that most people(Like Tiassa for example) here have is that they dont see how Billy Made it to the top.He's a CEO of a S/W company that Tiassa call stupid? That Means he's even a greater CEO THAN HIS PEERS,because he's managed to sell a dumb s/w(according to Tiassa,although my view says otherwise) and has made it a best seller.Thats just too much for these guys to digest.

Oh..man how's he so rich while Steve Jobs isnt...that kinda crappy thoughts behins the posting.This thread is insane ...I wonder when will Porf stop this Bashing!?

bye!

18. Baal Zebul Somewhat Registered User Registered Senior Member

Actually i like Microsoft as the conservative capitalist bastard i am.

Yes, i agree this thread is rather stupid. Everyone in my class says that Microsoft sucks. I ask them why? They have not got a clue.
    Give me one good reason why Microsoft sucks?
    They make unstable operating systems? Hey, they work just fine for what they were developed for.
    They do not finish their products, you have to download add-ons? Well, other companies make those add-ons as a new product and charge for them too. Microsoft lets you download it for free.
    They are only interested in making money? We have a nice painting at home. It says "Everyone just thinks about themselves, it is only I that think about myself" (not sure if i nailed that translation but you get the point). Why the hell should they not be interested in making money? Anything else would be stupidity.

19. Rick Valued Senior Member

May be this thread goes against Free-Enterprise system...gee...

bye!

20. Rick Valued Senior Member

Fading Captain :
    Yes.I agree fully that Linux is a great Option,But the big question is : Do they have it in them to surprise MSFT and Bill Gates with a strategy that he wouldnt have thought?Do they have the Marketing startegies which are perfect?

What Kind of Mktg Strategies Linux have? we know MSFT is very active in this area.Their principle has been the same over the years:They wanna keep it simple for all the users,at the same time provide efficient and Stable Products.Linux? Its definitely not easy to use for a first time computer user and is definitely not a cup of tea of Non-Computer Elites.Does this world only has s/w for elites? well,i"ll tell you a fact guys.Elite Ones can find Billions of Fault in Linux to

nly,that is if they use them so much.Billions of people use Windows,so you have a distributed system telling you about the faults with billions of systems over a distributed N/W.

Linux is Rising.It needs Bill's Skills to become a Giant.If MSFT ventures into Linux,then you"ll see how Linux Market changes and how Linux increases its sales...

bye!
    bye!

21. Alpha «Visitor» Registered Senior Member

Some are illegal, some are immoral, some are just good business (even to the detriment of users).
    Give one good reason to.
    Unfortunately it's not quite that simple. Some people need to use windows in order to get the things they want. A lot of software was designed for windows systems, and in order to use it you need windows. Wine and WineX can run quite a few windows apps & games, but not all.
    I am in no way jealous. My comments have nothing to do with jealousy. I'm just not the type. And IBM didn't realise what it was getting into because it didn't realise what the consequences would be. Why do you think IBM is (just now) jumping at the chance to be free of M$ and is pushing linux? They're even doing linux commercials now. They couldn't do it before because they had a contract with M$.
    You know, that's funny because I can easily imagine him working at McDonald's. I don't know why, but the image of him in a McD's uniform leaps easily to mind.
    I know many who would contest that.
    But money shouldn't be the only interest.

22. Rick Valued Senior Member

Alpha,
    realize one thing:IBM people are not Idiots.They know what they are doing.They signed contract with Microsoft even when Microsoft wasnt the ruler of the market.This was the time when M.S was new to the Market.Thye signed it back again,its nothing new.EVEN NOW,when i just brought a Lap,IBM ThinkPad X40,the logo says,IBM recommends using Win XP for business.We have in our company all the computers ranging from IBM to compaqs,Hps,Gateways,Dells all of them are BIG companies and they know how to handle themselves,you and i are naive to even comment about them being foolish or trapped by MS. in the contracts.They Agree to contract because they know that people still live to buy Windows.Like it or not,your opinion is not popular belief.
    MSFT OWNS 94% OF THE MARKET IN O.S. S/W TODAY.

bye!

23. Rick Valued Senior Member

Others S/Ws if they are so good then why isnt that their results dont show?
    if Linux was too good,people would have embraced it already.You call it a scam because you love Linux more than Win.Linux and other MS peers like Steve Jobs and co. call it a scam because they cant sell or they dont have it in them, to sell their own s/w products...so what do they do? pull the leg of Bill gates...crap...

bye!