Why majority Jews reject Jesus as Son of God ?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Saint, Jun 18, 2003.

1. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

Proof that Jesus existed

I have no proof. You have no proof. What this leads us both to is our innate belief system of a higher power. You look forward to salvation, so you need to have a savior. I don't believe that salvation is necessary, so I don't understant the need for a savior.

One reason I'm NOT Xian is because Xian's like yourself and okinrus believe blindly in something you cannot prove. Salvation cannot be proven. My belief system doesn't include salvation. It is sad that you place your faith on something as mistranslated and misleading as the Bible. My belief system does not require anything written by man to base my faith upon. My thoughts about spirituality are my own. If other people identify with what I believe, that's great. If they don't identify with what I believe, I don't care. We were all put on this Earth to learn from our past mistakes and live in peace with our fellow human beings. Xianity is not a religion of peace. It is blood thirsty. It practices mind control. It is opposed to everything Jesus tried to teach. Xianity is the AntiX. The AntiX is not a man but a belief system. It is Xianity of which you are a part.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jenyar Solar flair Valued Senior Member

Medicine*Woman,
    I have faith. It might be personal, like yours, but it is not a faith that hangs loosely in the air. The God that I have come to know is the same God that countless people thoughout history had come to know as "I am". Spirituality is easy to find, but faith needs God - specifically the Holy Spirit.

You say that we believe something we cannot prove, while flinging wild statements about the Messiah, the Spirit and God. Either your god is God, or he is your own creation. You do not need salvation? What would you say happens when disobey your higher power - say, nature? When it so obviously tries to sustain your life, isn't your physical degeneration an act of rebellion by your body? If you don'tor can't have children, have you not failed to meet natures expectations? If you decide to accept death, is your death not the natural result of your rejecting life? If I reject God, I am rejecting life. If I sin, I am rejecting God. I know I am a sinner, so I need salvation.

Christians are people, and although some might claim to have the Spirit of God in their lives, by acting against God's will they prove otherwise. A "belief system" is an abstract term denoting a common ground of what people 'believe'. It does not do anything. If you can show me where the Bible teaches "blood thirsty mind control and war", I will agree with you that Christianity is the Antichrist. Otherwise, it is people who murder and destroy who are the antichrist.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Jasper Registered Member

Calpurnius Arrius Piso WROTE THE BIBLE to placate slaves and continue slavery

Why does the Bible care so much about so much trivial stuff and have NOTHING to say about slavery???
    Answer: The Bible is a means of promoting Slavery!
    Surely a just God who handed down 10 just commandments would have something to say about Slvery being unjust, But NO, that particular God had NOTHING to say about Slavery.
    We think Slavery is unjust because we Evoloved beyond it, NOT because the Bible said it was wronge.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

"Do not think that I have come to bring peace on earth; I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother..." (Matthew 10:34)

What a nice, pleasant, messiah you have. This guy's gonna save you? Ha!

"If anyone comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple." (Luke 14:26)

Oh, and the disciples- the people in charge of teaching others about your messiah.... what a bunch of nice folk they must have been...

8. okinrus Registered Senior Member

No, Jesus is refering to the seperation of good and evil. Those who follow Jesus will have peace, in this life and the next. Not physical peace but spiritual. After Jesus' crucifixation he said, "Peace I give you" and "Peace be with you." You should read the sword prophesy of Isaiah. Another possibility is that Jesus is emphasizing the difference between himself and the false prophets of Jeremiah's time that called for peace when there was no peace.

The intent in this passage is to put the love of God ahead of everything else. Every passage must be interpreted in the full context of what Jesus said.

9. ConsequentAtheist Registered Senior Member

There is zero reason to believe that anyone knows what, if anything, "Jesus" said. It's nothing but the redacted and harmonized hearsay of apologists. Any assertion as to "the full context of what Jesus said" is pure pretense -- your Emporer has no clothes.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. okinrus Registered Senior Member

While we don't have the exact words of Jesus, we can make inferences that he was against war. If we use your line reasoning then major historical figures such as Socrates would be invalidated.

No, we are clothed by our emperor.

11. ConsequentAtheist Registered Senior Member

You don't have any words of Jesus.

12. okinrus Registered Senior Member

Well we have greek translations of the words of Jesus. I'm not sure what your point here is.

13. ConsequentAtheist Registered Senior Member

No, you have translations of the words of Paul, Luke, etc.

14. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

Your emperor...

I suppose you credit Jesus for buying your clothes? Your comment doesn't make sense. When are you going to face reality that YOU are responsible for your own existence? Everytime you credit Jesus for something, you are disowning your own abilities. In a way, you are putting yourself (God's creation) down! This is NOT what Jesus would have wanted. I'm sure if there is a Jesus in Heaven or wherever he may be, he's looking down at you and all the other Xians and saying, "My God, my God, just look at what fools you have created."

15. okinrus Registered Senior Member

Adam and Eve were naked in the Garden and clothed by animal skins, but Jesus christ has given us something much more. We are clothed by Christ with the holy spirit.

16. ConsequentAtheist Registered Senior Member

The theological equivalent of indecent exposure ...

17. okinrus Registered Senior Member

Galatians 3:26 "For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed youselves with Christ. There is neither Jew nor Gree, there is neither slave nor free person, there is not male and female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus." Emphasising that Christ purpose was to seperate the chaff from the wheat not warfare.

18. Circe Registered Senior Member

I suppose that shouldn't be taken literally since Jesus is also quoted to have praised the peacemakers. In any case, this passage seems to speak about division/separation of some kind.

There's also this one-

Perhaps it's easier to understand this one if one thinks in terms of Prometheus bringing fire (and what fire stands for) to people.

19. okinrus Registered Senior Member

Jesus is the sword and the servent of God the Father. Jesus was prophesied in this <a href="http://www.ewtn.com/vbible/search.asp?abbr=Is_&ch=49&bv1=1&ev1=7"> passage </a>

The fire of Jesus and sword is also foretold in this <a href="http://www.ewtn.com/vbible/search.asp?abbr=Is_&ch=64&bv1=1&ev1=5">passage</a> and this <a href="http://www.ewtn.com/vbible/search.asp?abbr=Is_&ch=66&bv1=15&ev1=17">one</a>

20. okinrus Registered Senior Member

The fire itself could refer to many things. Perhaps baptism because the spirit was described as tongues of fire. Another possibility is Jesus himself. For example the beginning of John's gospel and this <a href = "http://www.ewtn.com/vbible/search.asp?abbr=Is_&ch=50&bv1=1&ev1=11">passage</a>.

21. Jenyar Solar flair Valued Senior Member

You haven't been reading the Bible much have you? You can follow the stroy of slavery like a golden thread through the Bible.
    Slavery was an institution for a long time, and the Old Testament had strict rules about how slaves were to be treated. More often the Hebrews and Israelites were slaves themselves (especially in Egypt). When God freed the Israelites from slavery in Egypt, did He not make a clear statement?

Deuteronomy 15
    12 If a fellow Hebrew, a man or a woman, sells himself to you and serves you six years, in the seventh year you must let him go free. 13 And when you release him, do not send him away empty-handed. 14 Supply him liberally from your flock, your threshing floor and your winepress. Give to him as the LORD your God has blessed you. 15 Remember that you were slaves in Egypt and the LORD your God redeemed you. That is why I give you this command today.

Deut. 23
    15 If a slave has taken refuge with you, do not hand him over to his master. 16 Let him live among you wherever he likes and in whatever town he chooses. Do not oppress him.

And to fall in with Snakelord's comments about Matthew and Luke:
    At the end of the passage Jesus says:
    33In the same way, any of you who does not give up everything he has cannot be my disciple.
    That is his point. Interestingly enough this fits with the slavery theme:

When the Israelites were ordered to set their slaves free in Jeremiah 36, they did so but took them back into slavery afterwards. They claimed God's property as their own. God saw this and said:
    16 But now you have turned around and profaned my name; each of you has taken back the male and female slaves you had set free to go where they wished. You have forced them to become your slaves again.
    17 "Therefore, this is what the LORD says: You have not obeyed me; you have not proclaimed freedom for your fellow countrymen. So I now proclaim 'freedom' for you, declares the LORD -'freedom' to fall by the sword, plague and famine.
    I will make you abhorrent to all the kingdoms of the earth. 18 The men who have violated my covenant and have not fulfilled the terms of the covenant they made before me, I will treat like the calf they cut in two and then walked between its pieces.

And this is what Jesus tought as well: we are free to make war,to hate each other and to die. That is our curse - this freedom. Snakelord and others do not notice the irony of what they are saying. They also make this choice. They choose this freedom from God, and then accuse Christians of promoting slavery and hatred. This is the sword: People will choose life or death because of Jesus. There can be no peace while sin has power. Peace only comes after sin has been destroyed, and we have chosen for Christ and not against Him.

It is a question of who you submit to. If you submit to sin, you are a slave to sin, which leads to death. If you submit to God, you are a slave to righteousness, which leads to life. This reflects on slavery:
    Ephesians 6:9
    And masters, treat your slaves in the same way. Do not threaten them, since you know that he who is both their Master and yours is in heaven, and there is no favoritism with him.

And also on war and hatred. Muslims will know that to accept Jesus is to be cut off from parents, brothers and sisters. It is not because Jesus brings hatred, but because being associated with Jesus makes you the target of hatred.

So I conclude the story of slavery as a Christian with Paul's letter to Philemon, about Onesimus a fugitive slave. (Under normal circumstances such a slave would be branded or put to death):

Philemon 1
    15Perhaps the reason he was separated from you for a little while was that you might have him back for good-- 16no longer as a slave, but better than a slave, as a dear brother. He is very dear to me but even dearer to you, both as a man and as a brother in the Lord.
    17So if you consider me a partner, welcome him as you would welcome me. 18If he has done you any wrong or owes you anything, charge it to me.

And you say the Bible says nothing about slavery? Or promotes hatred?

Biblical Hebrew has no equivalent to comparative adjectives or adverbs. One can say "tall" but not "taller" or "tallest". Hate is an extreme that is often used. Hyperbole is used for emphasis. As Okinrus said: to emphasize the love we should have for God.

Consider the following from a non-Biblical source (Poimandes 4:6):
    If you do not hate your body first, O child, you will not be able to love yourself.

Did the Greeks "hate" themselves? "[A man] must count his own life his enemy for the honor of Sparta" (Poetae Lyrici Graeci). Or does this simply mean they should lay down their lives, family and posessions for the honor of Sparta?

22. revbill2001 Registered Senior Member

Maybe the Jews couldn't accept Jesus as the Christ because he was gay and therefore an abomination in their eyes.

23. okinrus Registered Senior Member