Why is 'utopic' an insult?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Fen, Jul 29, 2003.

1. Fen Registered Senior Member

Notice how any discussion of change gets stopped by somthing along the lines of, "That's utopic and thus unrealistic"? So "utopic" becomes an insult. Why this happens is clearly fear of change.

One good thing to point out is how clearly the same type of people would say ending slavery is "utopic and unrealistic".

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. It's not fear, but incredulity of change. Most customarily regard utopia as unfeasible; the very name means "no place". Accordingly, striving for it appears naive and misguided to many.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fen Registered Senior Member

Yes, incredulity that we could live without slavery. So get another whip and get moving back to the plantation!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Paradise on Earth is not possible unless special measures are taken (Human Engineering and/or euphoric drugs).
    The classical Utopia, contrived by Thomas More, wherein no such singular and forceful processes are practiced, is a hopelessly visionary fiction, an idealistic fantasy.

By the by, there is no such word as "utopic"; you were probably trying for "utopian".

8. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

The notion of "Utopia" is a fallacy so when it is used in a conversation you are likely to recieve such responses. That word isn't a insult but mere fiction that isn't possible and if it was it would be quite a tedious existence so when used it is nonsensical.

9. Fen Registered Senior Member

But it's the conservatives who will use the word "utopian" as an insult. It's used to deride any idea that is different. Somewhat how "liberal" is an insult as well.

10. This is philosophy, not politics.

11. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Yes well we can't help the haughty behavior of the proud masses that are conservatives can we!!!!

12. SpyMoose Secret double agent deer Registered Senior Member

gah, only a filthy idealist would ask a question like that!

13. Yea, it is, undoubtedly, as you say.

14. perfectblue given a second chance Registered Senior Member

In my humble, bumbling, slightly uneducated opinion, I think that people use the word "utopian" (or "utopic", if it were a word) as some form of an insult because people often think that it is a "Comunistic" word. I know that if I went now and asked one of my conservative roommates to define that word to the best of their abilities, they would come back with "Communism" on their breath. I know that they don't grasp the difference of Communism and Marxism, and I don't try to educate them...

15. everneo Re-searcher Registered Senior Member

anything utopian implies being disconnected to reality. at worst clinging to impractical ideas for their perfection alone is nothing but stupidity.

16. Fen Registered Senior Member

Yeah, along those lines, abolishment of slavery will never work, huh?

17. Don't you get it?! "Abolition" did not mean "no possibility" .

"Utopia," however, literally means "no place".

18. atreides1977 Registered Member

Utopia is a mythic place where all things are perfect a sort of Eden. thus saying that something is utopic is like saying that it is surreal and too perfect for your taste.

19. moementum7 ~^~You First~^~ Registered Senior Member

Utopic is an ideal.
    An ideal is of great benefit to raising the standards of ones own life.
    Without having some sort of goal,in this case a concept to aim for, how will you ever know when you acheive it.
    It is neccessary for man to have something to aim for if his physical and mental values are to be achieved or maintained.

Ideals are meant to inspire one to a greater hieghts.
    To exibit what should and ought to be.

It is better to aim for the stars and hit only the moon than to aim for the moon and hit only the rocks of shore.

Ideals are meant to inspire and bring out the best in mankind.
    A reference.A guiding star.A model of possibilty.
    We all have an ideal of ourselves as to what we think is possible in our self perception and acheivements.
    Whether this ideal inspires you or not,should definitely concern you.

Utopics/ideals

People who do not reckognize this and lack even the primitive drives to understand this and use it for they're own advantage,will obviously continue down a path of low self esteem in the face of the masses.
    Right? Right.

20. everneo Re-searcher Registered Senior Member

if you think abolishment of slavery is impractical it is not my mistake. if they call you utopic they are not insulting you, they are insulting the word 'utopic'.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

21. khallow Registered Senior Member

I think the reason "utopian" has gotten a bad rap is because building societies based on ideals has failed pretty badly. Many of the Communist countries of the 20th century were set up to be utopias, but failed because they grossly misunderstood human nature. Democracies and republics tend to have a better run since they can be modified after the fact. Even then, France is on its fifth republic. The US has been heavily modified since its early days. The end of Germany's first republic (and eventually France's third republic) prestaged the bloodiest war the human race has yet seen.

People are more pragmatic about utopias now. Utopia creation has always been a dubious process, but now with tens of millions of deaths in its wake, we strongly distrust Paradise.

22. Fen Registered Senior Member

two things

One, using the wrong word in the subject has doomed this thread for all I'm concerned. Two, khallow is a really insightful, smart person. Check this person out.

23. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

Well, true citizens of the world FEEL and BELIEVE that they live in reality, thus they FEEL and BELIEVE that all that's not real is not acceptable; Utopia is no exception.