Why is thinness in women fashionable?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by visceral_instinct, Dec 4, 2009.

1. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Gay men.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

What say you we all put WillNever on ignore, people? He clearly isn't interested in a reasonable discussion. It doesn't matter how many well-reasoned points people make, he keeps insisting the same crap and throwing in some ad hominems for good measure. Hence, there's not much point in trying to make a point to him, because he doesn't seem interested in reason at all.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Sorry, what about gay men??

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

No my big butt balances my boobs.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

If you're talking about super-thin, the answer is: because so many of them are. Not necessarily anorexia nervosa, which is deliberate malnutrition, but generic anorexia, which can be the inability to maintain a healthy weight due to an underlying condition. I have a friend who struggles with that. She just can't keep her weight up because of a health problem and the guys all pant for her.
    That is an ethnocentric observation. Of course men everywhere stare at the women who look like swimsuit models because the media have trained us to stare at them, but in some cultures normal-looking women get just as much attention. I don't see full-figured women, or even slightly overweight women, having any trouble getting attention among either Latinos or Afro-Americans.
    Well of course we're all looking for mates who take care of their health, but we keep stumbling across more reassurances that a few extra pounds doesn't make anyone unhealthy.
    I don't know where you live but in my observation, American women are more forgiving of imperfect shapes than American men are.

Our current fashion of women looking like twelve-year-old boys probably does have something to do with the domination of the fashion industry by gay men. American culture always goes to extremes and we are currently at a fashion extreme: the anorexic look. I call it like it is. Most of those models really are at least borderline anorexic. They look like refugees from Treblinka.

But as has already been noted on this thread, it wasn't always so. Pin-up girls during WWII were much healthier looking than these chicks.

After all, for thousands of years the vast majority of the human race had no access to a significant amount of surplus food. Anyone who could be fat was, by definition, prosperous, and therefore to be admired.

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Thats a pretty good observation.

10. Enmos Valued Senior Member

lol!

11. WillNever Valued Senior Member

This thread is not about excessively thin people with eating pathologies, frag. It's about simply "thinness." If the only way you can demonize people who are thin is by stating that they have eating disorders, then you need to get your head rewired.

The women in my previous images looked nothing like that.

Nay, if we are talking about thousands of years ago, anyone who was fat would be dead or quickly slimmed up due to the nomadic nature of humans at the time...

However, if we are talking about only a few centuries ago, being plump represented a different significance back in those days. It represented wealth, during a temporary era when the majority of the European populace were poor peasants. The goal was not to say "See this well-rounded girl..? Isn't her fat ass sexy..?" The goal was to say "See this well-rounded girl..? Doesn't she look wealthy and well-fed..?" Get it..? Just look at the fat chicks in Rembrandt: they are wearing jewelry and getting pedicures. Wealth is what is being depicted there... not sexual attractiveness.

In the modern day, the actual truth is that all other things being equal, fat people die MUCH younger than healthily slim people. Being overweight is very bad for your health.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  12. WillNever Valued Senior Member

Not sure. They came here and started going on about how slim people are anorexic, etc. Meanwhile, some of those same people have posted in the "Physical Features Needed" thread and have gone on record stating they prefer slim women.

The mind truly boggles.

13. Enmos Valued Senior Member

14. WillNever Valued Senior Member

^
    Example of my above statement.

15. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Just showing that you're a hypocrite.

16. WillNever Valued Senior Member

I don't see how. Thinness is the recommended norm. Having excess folds of fat is ill-advised. I can't imagine anyone arguing against that.

17. Enmos Valued Senior Member

You are telling Fraggle off for talking about excessively thin people in a thread about 'thinness' and then continue to talk about fat people.

18. WillNever Valued Senior Member

The connection between the two is...?

19. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Control Fashion...

20. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Figure it out.. :bugeye:

21. WillNever Valued Senior Member

Not seeing one. People here were supporting fatness but admonishing extreme thinness. However, instead of calling them fat they used idiotic euphemisms such as "curvy" and "plump." Example: the woman laying on the couch on the first page. They called her curvy; she's fat. The photograph is cleverly and conveniently designed to hide her abdomen. If you can't see a fault in that parellel, then you too need a rewiring.

22. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I see you bringing up fat people at every chance you get. This thread is not about fat people, it's about 'thinness' as you yourself told Fraggle.
    Put a cork in it already. And this was the last post I wasted on this, so don't bother replying.

23. WillNever Valued Senior Member

Thanks for stopping by. Get some help, soon.