Why is there SETI?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Dinosaur, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

It's a quite night, so I'll humour you. You say "The number of atoms in the periodic chart(not including isoptes) is well know to human knowledge and is about 101 atoms (stable and known). knowing this gives provides a means of determing what chemical particles can be subject to the bodies of our solar system that result in chemical formations, which provides for about 5,235,234 chemicals that may at any time exist in out solar system."
    How do you derive that figure 5,235,234?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Hey, Kenny! Draw the graph of y=1.05^x, or even 1.01^x and compare that to your chart.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

DwayneD.L.Rabon: I really thought you were being humorous. Now I realize that you really believe the nonsense you have been posting.

Consider the following computations.
    • Earth is about 8.5 light minutes from the sun.

• The Alpha Centauri system is about 4.3 light years from the solar system.

• 4.3 light years is 4.3 * 365.242 * 24 * 60 minutes: 2,261,578.464 minutes.

• Divide by 8.5, square the quotient, and take reciprocal: 1.412 584 809 30E-11

• The last value is the relative strength of one solar mass 4.3 light years distant.

• Alpha Centauri system is 2.09 solar masses: Above * 2 = 2.825 E-11
    From the above, the gravitation effect of the sun on Earthly atoms is over 35 billion times stronger than the gravitational effect of the Alpha Centauri system.

Atoms and molecules are held together by electromagnetic forces which are incredibly stronger than gravity.

There is no way that the gravitational effects of distant stars can have any effect on Earthly chemistry and/or Earthly compounds.

Furthermore, there is no reason to believe that chemistry in the solar system is any different from chemistry elsewhere in the universe, given similar temperatures and pressures.

If you want to make silly assertions about the laws of chemistry or physics, at least show some computations and rational arguments in favor of your views. Mere assertions will be ignored.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. DwayneD.L.Rabon Registered Senior Member

Last edited: Oct 28, 2005
  8. DwayneD.L.Rabon Registered Senior Member

9. glenn239 Registered Senior Member

I saw on Yahoo yesterday that it's looking more like Titan might have an atmospheric conditions similiar to that of early Earth's. It follows that maybe, had Jupiter instead marched inward and ejected Earth from the solar system (don't let Pluto hit you in the ass on the way out, dude) that perhaps Titan would have instead evolved along the same lines as we did?

If so, doesn't this in turn mean that not one but three different planets/moons in our solar system alone might have, given a little luck, evolved life? And that one of the three (Titan) hints the theory that life can't evolve around a star with gas giants in close is bogus?

10. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Dwayne, I don’t mean this unkindly, but you are quite clearly insane. From this distance it appears to be a benign insanity: let us hope so. Lets examine portions of your last post.

Gravity is a very consistent force, varying only with the masses of the objects involved and their distance apart. It is also the weakest of forces.

In what significant way does the gravity on Earth vary? Right! It doesn’t. This is nonsense.

No it isn’t. The sun is less massive than many other stars. If you are agreeing that the gravitational effects are on the Earth are less, then hurrah. You are actually listening to what we are saying to you.

How did you arrive at this figure? Show us the calculations. Again, this is pure, unadulterated, infantile nonsense.

On what basis are you rejecting the work of Newton? Show us your equations. Show us your work. Get a grip of reality man!!

Dwayne, my apologies if this seems harsh. I am not attacking you, I am attacking the baseless nonsense that you are spouting as if it had some significance. Get real. Get an education. Get medication. Get something, but please refrain from vomiting drivel into our midst.

11. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

I wonder if Dwayne is one of those "intelligent design" scientists you hear about?

12. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

13. DwayneD.L.Rabon Registered Senior Member

14. glenn239 Registered Senior Member

Dwayne, your comments on the topic of SETI are perfectly welcome. But I for one would be interested in everyone trying to stick to the laws of physics as they are understood today. While your theories might be of interest to some, they should take a back seat to the discussion, which must by it's very nature adhere to accepted understanding. This may eventually prove to be wrong, but without guidelines the discussion has no meaning.

As an example, I postulated an ET security dilemma arising from the juxtaposition of the our rapid technical advance coupled with the snail's pace by which a ship could move between stars - even if moving near the speed of light. While many may not agree, the rate at which we are advancing is measurable, as is the distance between stars and the size of the galaxy.

Do you have any comments on the subject, excluding all references to personal theories on the nature of matter in the universe?

15. DwayneD.L.Rabon Registered Senior Member

16. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

DwayneD.L.Rabon: Until you got nasty with another poster, I had no real desire to argue with you. I do not like engaging in an intellectual battle with an unarmed adversary. Swearing and deliberate insults are the fall back position of those who have nothing intelligent to say on a subject.
    You may or may not have some intelligence, but you certainly lack any critical judgement capabilities.

Amost everything you post is silly unsupported nonsense which you make up. You have yet to show any rational basis for the numbers you spout and the silly notions you advocate.

17. Well yes and possibly true but on the plus side, he does have a beautiful singing voice...

18. DwayneD.L.Rabon Registered Senior Member

19. may_wentee Registered Senior Member

Actually I think Dwayne's cosmic calculations and numbers may be reasonable and somewhat accurate. No one has disputed them and they may (I said may) be in the ball park. Who knows? If you can offer some more accurate numbers, go ahead and try. We're listening.

May_wentee

20. mouse can't sing, can't dance Registered Senior Member

How did you reach this number of 5000 years? Present us your calculations.

Or how did you reach this number of 97 percent? How do you define "disfunctional", when is someone disfunctional?

Three percent of 6 billion is 180 million. How did you arrive at 58 million?

0.000001 percent? Where did this come from?

What is "the average advancement of the human race"? How do you quantify it?

We'll adapt. It perhaps will be nasty, but we'll adapt.

What makes you think that your posts are "pearls"? Furthermore, I think that comparing forum members with farm animals is not a civilised thing to do.

21. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Here I thought this thread was asking about SETI:

I will try to address this question and not trail off into ramblings of hitherto unknown theories of unreasonable consequences.

I don't think humans will contact any other intelligent lifeforms from other cosmological places in the universe.

22. may_wentee Registered Senior Member

Yea, I agree. I don't think we'll find intelligent life elsewhere in the galaxy. I'm not sure if there is really any intelligent life down here either.

May_wentee

23. KennyJC Registered Senior Member

The answer is simple. If it is there, even if it's relatively close, we won't find it with existing technology. But if we have plenty of time ahead of us, I would fancy our chances. At least I would expect humans to be able to one day come up with a probable yes or no to wether or not there is ETI in our corner/neighbourhood of the galaxy.