why is there religion?

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by IIbobII, May 15, 2007.

1. lightgigantic Banned Banned

first of all there are two aspects to religion - one you could argue is mundane, and pertains to sectarian followings (join a mosque and burn down a church or join a church and burn down a mosque and another part deals with the ultimate connection between the living entity and god, which tends to be head and shoulders above such things

secondly, power can always be misused - it is not sufficient to indicate that because someone in a position of power behaved inappropriately, that the position should be turfed out - after all how many husbands have we see cheating on wives (should we turf out 'husbands') how many politicians have we seen cheating on the public (should we turf out politicians) etc etc

obviously its not practical to turf out these positions - what is practical however is to have knowledge of what the proper standards for a position are - what makes a good husband, what makes a good politician ... and also what makes a good theist

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. IIbobII considerfreelyfeelingscle arly Registered Senior Member

what makes a good theist? is this hand in hand with what makes a good politician?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Because of the human brain, it's hardwired - magical thinking.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. IIbobII considerfreelyfeelingscle arly Registered Senior Member

wow. how long do you have to spend each day to get 14k posts??

8. Rick Valued Senior Member

I have seen him here ever since i joined (seems like a long time back) and there was a point when we (me and him) had equal number of posts, well almost. :|

9. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

No man, I didn´t know that, thanks!!!

I´m currently learning meditation from the Vigyan Bhairav Tantra. A text consisting entirely of meditation techniques written in India 5000 years ago.

I ignorantly thought that was buddhism, but it doesn´t really matter to me from a practical perspective.