why is there religion?

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by IIbobII, May 15, 2007.

1. VitalOne Banned Banned

Like in Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, etc....lots of their prophecies have also been accurately fulfilled....

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

What prophecies?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. IIbobII considerfreelyfeelingscle arly Registered Senior Member

theres no proof when theres possibility of coincidence. prohecies can also be lied about/not all that they seem. maybe you needed 2 grand and mysteriously someone sent you a bill with exactly two grand anonymously. did it occur to you that maybe someone read, your bills, overheard a conversation, or is your pal and works at a loan office. these are a few top of head examples.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

what makes you say this about other religions?

peace.

8. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

That is how people such as the Skinster say the Old Testament came to be.

9. IIbobII considerfreelyfeelingscle arly Registered Senior Member

history..
    oral (misconstrued almost each generation-divide years since said historical event, divide by 28, the average generation length (im guessing)) and how would any of us know anyway?
    this knowledge to which you allude is very subjective sounding. evidence is nice, you know.
    the most important, i believe, thing in considering information, is to first consider its source. but many people, especially in earlier years, were not scientifically oriented, so oral tradition is extremely reliable, as people lie, and lieing would certainly be encouraged in an oral history, to please the audience with more drama, of course!

10. VitalOne Banned Banned

Well first tell me what prophecies in Christianity you find so compelling...

11. IIbobII considerfreelyfeelingscle arly Registered Senior Member

if this is now a matter of basing religion on the occurence of prophecies coming true, i would have no part in it. what if there were a scientific experiement done to see how people act when someone predicts that something will happen to them in the future? it is a very pointing point for m e to ask: don't you think, if you believed something a prophet told you, that you would structure your life around that foreseen event, thus encouraging it to happen? what about all the prophecies that didn't come true. why don't you ever hear about those? (it's more convenient to the life of religion to only give evidence in a one sided way. this is corrupt, wrong, and ridiculous to think that people can consciously give in to these methods). a similar tragedy happened to science. if you readthe mismeasure of man you will learn of a "scientific" study done to correlate brain size with race. long story short, the data was added and specific things were disregarded to make it look like the whites were smartest, and blacks stupid, etc. etc. they also drew pictures of black men and compared them to apes. this type of data tweaking is attrocious and is probably the thing that makes me loathe.. not disagree with.. religion. i disagree with religion because of its origin. that's not the point. blacks are not apes, brain size is proportional to body size. it is probably brain complexity which accounts for "intelligence". there, now youve learned something.

12. IIbobII considerfreelyfeelingscle arly Registered Senior Member

From Here On Out Post Replies In The Religion Section's Thread:the Debate Of Religion

relocated to the debate of religion, in the religion section.

13. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

Religion definitely exists. Most of what you love and most of what you hate has some root in religion.
    Dimwits? Have you ever read some of the stuff some of the founders of religion have written? There's Vedic science that's consistent with today's science. I believe the Daodejing says something to the effect of man destroys everything he interacts with some inside it. That's still true today(ie the environment, other species, each other). Wasn't Buddha a prince in India(probably one of the most advanced cultures at that time)? I doubt he was uneducated. For Christianity to have such a hold on the western world for so long, I'm sure its founders had some level of knowledge of sociology. Maybe you could say most religious people today are morons(maybe, there's a lot of idiot atheists too), but not the founders.

14. IIbobII considerfreelyfeelingscle arly Registered Senior Member

i dont really understand what you mean by what i love and hate is religious.
    i dont know what i meant about dimwits. probably just an immature expression of my dislike. my apologies. i am sure the founders were of the smartest people around. what i think i really think (?) is that people who follow (smart) religious people are idiots. does that help? of course, I'm calling you an idiot so i dont know if you consider that help or a frontal attack. anyway perhaps you can elaborate on what vedic science is and some evidence of it?

15. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

I can tell you some of the ideas of Buddhism, but dude, there is a VAST ammount of information, so I´m not sure what do you want me to elaborate? There is just too much literature, I can´t just put it all in here...

Zoroastrianism is to Zoroaster, as Christianity is to Jesus. The original teachings of Zoroaster (Zarathustra) were misinterpreted and misconceived, just like the teachings of Jesus.
    Friedrich W. Nietzsche puts this into a very good perspective in his book called: "Thus Spoke Zarathustra".

About the soul thing: Ok, so the Universe is Eternal and Infinite, and by its very nature, very difficult to understand with our current, temporary, underdeveloped brains. This limitations we humans encounter in this matters, made our ancestor come up with the word "God", which is just a word, but no one can really understand God, it is indeed, the incognisible.

The thing is, each of us have a soul with the very same natural principles intrinsic in the Universe. This you can only understand better by deep, true meditation. I believe the Orientals have this last matter covered, they have been perfectioning this practices "Tantra" for thousands of years.

They call the soul: the "Micro-Cosmos", and the Universe is the "Macro-Cosmos". But they are just as similar as a branch is from its tree. By understanding the branch, you can have a better understanding of the tree.

That is what I mean when I say that our souls are our link with God. "Homo nosce te ipsum": "Human, understand yourself, and you will understand the Universe, and God".

16. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

Well, not really, I think Buddhism is were most knowledge about meditation exist. They are the ones that have been documenting Meditation for more than 3000 years.

Jesus himself went to the dessert and meditate, but the Bible doesn´t teach you how did he meditate does it?

17. VitalOne Banned Banned

Gautama Buddha got all his meditation techniques from Hinduism...didn't you know that? He went to learn from Asloka (I think thats the name), a famous spiritual teacher at the time, who taught him how to control his emotions, thoughts, etc....

The most knowledge on meditation exists in Hinduism, since it is where it originally developed, and control of the body, mind, senses, etc...is more emphasized as well the fact that reality is an illusion (this is more emphasized in Hinduism than in Buddhism)

18. lightgigantic Banned Banned

we have not had a power that is not fascist or communist ruled by an atheist.
    [/QUOTE]
    surprise surprise?
    rely on time place and circumstance?
    no, because rulership in strict accordance with time place and circumstance as the primary consideration delivers the identical result, regardless of what one party one aligns with
    exactly - time place and circumstance ruins everything as the primary consideration

19. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

They do if they get BURIED ALIVE!!!!

20. peta9 Registered Senior Member

You can be fascist about your religion, country, race and anything else. You can be communistic about these just the same.

There are many who are communistic, fascist, religious americans for example. The absurd part is they identify themselves differently though their attitudes or beliefs may not truly align with their labels. It's similar to an asshole thinking they are nice. Think about the negative aspects of communism means, they are many who look out for thier own or party's welfare while exploiting or ignoring another. This is still communistic in some way as well if we were using pure identifications. Labels are just that, labels and just like anything else can be used to rally, deceive or mislead and hide whats beyond it. What matters is whats really going on.

21. IIbobII considerfreelyfeelingscle arly Registered Senior Member

percisely the intended implication

22. IIbobII considerfreelyfeelingscle arly Registered Senior Member

surprise surprise?

rely on time place and circumstance?

no, because rulership in strict accordance with time place and circumstance as the primary consideration delivers the identical result, regardless of what one party one aligns with

exactly - time place and circumstance ruins everything as the primary consideration

yes. if we relied on judgement based on logic, we could kill babies and not have moral consequences. i'm referring to religion. im pretty sure that murder should be illegal, and i have pretty much no knowledge of government

i meant if a ruler ruled with christian ideals (i.e. 10 commands.) what if we adjusted the standards to a solid scientific logic. we could test it on a small scale first, maybe. i think it would be ridiculous to throw a random joe in the seat of presidency and tell him to "use common sense". there would be committees and such. but religion should definitely be removed from politics. anything that represents the people should not take religious sides. there atheists in america. america represents the people. the constitution says that (somewhere). the fact that our pledge says that we're "under" "god" is because the founders happened to be christian. now that we're mixed religions, we should adjust. that's what the bill of rights is for. remember this is around the period of the spanish inquisition, and the evangelical motives could have seeped through into the founding fathers. this should be investigated and checked for plausible accuracy.

23. Rick Valued Senior Member

It started when people who performed austerities and sacrifices combined to formalize their thoughts together to form a group.

does that answer your question?

Rick