Why is the United States Exporting over a Million barrels of oil per day?

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by joepistole, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

If we produce more than enough for domestic consumption why are we paying over $1.20 a litre for it? The US certainly isn't buying it from us for a better price, it's even cheaper there.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

It is because you love your brothers to the south. Where in Canada to you live? There are remote places in Canada that may have something to do with price. Also, I am not sure what kind of gasoline processing must be done. IN the United States, local environmental restrictions are often given by the big oil companies as reasons for high oil prices.

My point here, is that there is an argument perpetuated by big oil and their advocates (Republican Party) that we need to drill more oil to solve our energy problems. My point is, that unless we have rules forbidding our domestic production from being exported we will always be tied to the global price for oil and increasing our domestic oil production will do nothing to affect price. OPEC controls the price of oil and all other oil producers benefit.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Xelios, the reason for the retail gasoline price difference between Canada and the United States is one of tax. If you adjust for taxes, you are paying about what we are paying for gasoline. The gasoline tax in Canada is huge by standards in the United States. A third of the price of gasoline in due to tax. In the United States the tax is only 47 cents per gallon.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Just try cutting off the pipeline.
    See what happens.

btw In the UK we pay 50p (over $1) tax per litre
    which is about half the cost of petrol here.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2008