Why is the Earth Special?

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by ScaryMonster, Aug 26, 2009.

1. ScaryMonster I’m the whispered word. Valued Senior Member

But you get my point about writing? If the some characters in a story are human and a good deal of action takes place on Earth. One might need to ask why?
    Why? Well I did it because it’s familiar and the reader can relate to the location easier which is useful as a tool for the suspension of belief.
    And there is a lot of weirdness to write about with out even having to make anything up!
    Even fantasy writers clothe their worlds in things indigenous to Earth, just look at Tolkien’s Middle Earth and Ann McCaffery’s Pern.
    I think it would be a huge challenge to write a story about creatures and a world that is totally unrelated to Earth and Human beings in any way. I’ve written one of my chapters along this line but my protozoan like intelligent creatures manipulated their DNA so that they resemble humanoids. The reason being that this form is more functional and common place.
    The real reason was that I need these creatures to be able to interact with human characters and not get the “OMG! Look at the hideous gelatinous blob!” Response.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

One route that has been done, I think, is that humans are somehow fulfilling a prophecy that is widespread across the other intelligences. Hence the focus on Earth and/or humanity especially.

The "prophecy" element only need be referred in the most subtle of ways or you could go for the heavy-handed plot-exposition of having human/alien in conversation as they walk from A to B with alien explaining why humans are so important, or even just why the earth is so important - and if it is just the planet that is important rather than humanity - then it might work just to have it explained that the so called "religious elders" have decreed it as such - which avoids all need for any actual detailed explaination.

Personally I would tend toward a much more subtle inference of such rather than direct exposition, but sometimes you just need to spell things out to the reader.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. swivel Sci-Fi Author Valued Senior Member

I wish I could tell you how I deal with this in my trilogy, but I have to wait until the books are published to do so.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

How about you reverse that then. Aliens have advanced to the point where they believe they have a complete understanding of everything, past, present and future, and according to their models, humans should not exist and have no place in the universe. In their minds everyone has (or should have) a perfectly predictable destiny, save us.

Then you can have factions that see us as the key to free will, factions that see us as an obstacle to fates that they want, thos ethat see us as a mere mathematical curiosity and those devoted to learning more about us.

8. alpinedigital Registered Senior Member

Anyone mention a political reason?? Maybe we're reaching the point where Earth has a deciding vote or will have a voice on the counsel or some such thing... and it could have been predicted, and of course that voice would speak out in favor of things that would benefit mankind... and maybe in fact lead to far stronger voice. Hell, you know we're good at political schemes and junk, so yeah - it could be a rise to power angle if that could be something that fit the story in some way.

9. ScaryMonster I’m the whispered word. Valued Senior Member

I've already got something along that sort of line, I’ve got aliens sensing exotic energies emanating from Earth, energies that are too strange for humans to produce. So they aliens sent scotship to investigate.
    Only I need to know what these energies are, I’ve gone along the line that these energies are naturally occurring and the somehow the Earth is a nexus point for this.
    Kind of like node points in Lay lines but on a universal scale.
    Now is there any scientific, Quantum superstring theory a type phenomenon that’s believable?
    :bugeye:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
  10. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

why is earth so special?

first of all it is the wright size, has the wright distance to the sun, has a big moon to keep it stable and cause tides, is hit by a bisass asteroid to make it spinning at the wright speed,
    is mainly iron so it has a magnetic shield to protect against solarflares and radiation.
    after it cooled down it was hit by a asteroid containing a microbe that turns CO in oxygen.

but all that is important for us humans. if you look at what strange extremofiels live on our own planet, a lot of them could even survive om mars, titan, venus and pluto.
    so earth is special to us humans but thats fairly it.
    maybe we humans are good slave material, or food lol.

11. ScaryMonster I’m the whispered word. Valued Senior Member

Notes of a Trans-Dimensional Super Deity

I worked it out? But I had to rework to nature of reality to do it!
    That is if it was going to fit into the logic of my story, but then I was feeling very god like when I wrote it!
    My story involves UFO cults, trans-dimensional beings, runway models, aliens of various types and Greek mythology.

The working title is "Notes of a Trans-Dimensional Super Deity."
    But I’ll probably change it by the end.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009