Why is Sulfur a Fungicide?

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by Facial, May 4, 2012.

1. Facial Valued Senior Member

I am having difficulty finding scientific explanations for why sulfur is used as a fungicide, to great efficacy. Does anyone have knowledge or leads on this?

2. arauca Banned Banned

Camarade, perhaps sulfur react with oxygen forms SO2 and SO2 in presence react with water and form a strong acid, which is toxic

3. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Interesting question but baffling. Even Wikipedia doesn't give the answer.

Sulfur seems to be a very wide-range poison. In addition to fungus, it is also used to kill bacteria and even insects.

4. Facial Valued Senior Member

The acid explanation is quite intriguing, but the formation of oxides of sulfur seems limited if one starts from an elemental form - the activation energy would need to be somewhat high given the electronegativities.

Fraggle I have never seen you stumped on a question before!

5. Epictetus here & now Registered Senior Member

I know of a Chinese 'herbal' ointment that is basically sulfur and nothing else. It works like nothing else on foot fungus -even better than Australian tea tree oil.
    It seems redundant to me to ask how or why it kills fungus. Because it's a nasty, toxic chemical that's why! This thread reminds me of the one about why getting shot with a bullet hurts, but we were specifically instructed there not to answer sarcastically. So sorry, I'm taking it out here! :p