Why is space black?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by EmptyForceOfChi, Oct 27, 2005.

1. RickyH Valued Senior Member

That is a good theory only thing is how does it help us, and carbon dating isn't that accurate to say that and how do we know were looking 4 billion light years away,and not 1 billion? How can we tell? If we cant tell then your theory would'nt help us at all.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2005
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Huh? A vacuum can't push anything.

Please explain how radiation becomes transparent, and how it is solid in the first place. I get the impression you don't know what you're talking about.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. RickyH Valued Senior Member

excuse me for saying push out i meant didnt feel that i needed to explain it since there ar no molecules in the vacuum of space there are neither atmosphere nor pressure. When there is no atmosphere all of the molecules in the area want to spread out as much as possible.

How Black Body Radiation becomes transparent
    This radiation is the remnant of the Big Bang. Some 700,000 years after the start of the Universe a "sea" of free electrons and protons prevented the free propagation of light (think of the sun where the atoms are ionised - we can't see through it). But as the temperature fell below 3000 K neutral atoms formed and the Universe became transparent
    This is from Arno Penzias and Robert Wilson who won the Nobel Prize for finding this

Last edited: Jan 31, 2006
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. RickyH Valued Senior Member

How does that work for you?