Why is 'perpetual motion' impossible?

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by soma56, Jul 2, 2004.

1. MacM Registered Senior Member

Correct, by definition any machine that outputs energy cannot be perpetual, it would by necessity have an external energy source..

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Doron Shadmi Registered Senior Member

If energy cannot disappear then a transformation of an energy from one form to another (from a global view), is a perpetual motion.

Now we have to ask, if there is a state where energy cannot transform from one form to another.

If this state exists, then and only then a global point of view can be considered as a non-perpetual motion.

By QM the basic state of our universe is in perpetual motion because Plank constant h > 0.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2004
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. MacM Registered Senior Member

That was my point. Most people see things this way but it really violates the definition of perpetual motion.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. RawThinkTank Banned Banned

If U really wana know about a natural PMM that generates energy then instead of copypasting my post I offer U 2 read the following thread and specially my post. PMM Antagonism is dead with it.

http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=28836

Can U think about that ?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2004
  8. HOWARDSTERN HOWARDSTERN has logged out.... Registered Senior Member

~~~High energy to low energy

~~~High pressure to low pressure

~~~High to lows...........

~~~differential of energy states

~~~Surplus of anything always flows to lack of

~~~When the states are equal, then the flow is no

~~~Energy flows to the path of least resistance

~~~You can never get more out of something than you put into it

~~~The idea of energy is simply the differential potential movement of matter/anti-matter.

RAW THINKER............you stole my idea about making sub threads. I had the idea a year or so ago. But I figured Porfiry would ban me if I did that.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I was thinking about creating A complete Subforums within Sciforums......but didn't have the nerve to try it

Last edited: Jul 10, 2004
  9. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

one more to add to your list
    a lot of a little can equal a little of a lot

10. swansont Registered Senior Member

You posted about a gravitational system with tides, objections and explanations were posted, and you basically ignored them. What's there to consider? Tapping into an energy reservoir is not perpetual motion. All you did was choose a large reservoir.

11. crazeeeeeem Registered Senior Member

Not only do I think it is possible, I know it is. Look out the window and you see it all around you.

12. Headache I drink therefore I am Registered Senior Member

[

2 - Definition: [n] a machine that can continue to do work indefinitely without drawing energy from some external source; impossible under the law of conservation of energy ]

how about the superconductor rod spinning inside an earth magnet, perpetuated by low temperature in space?

13. Brandon9000 Registered Senior Member

Can you give an example of this please? I don't see it at all.

14. Headache I drink therefore I am Registered Senior Member

headache doesnt mean to be rude by answering a question on somebody elses behalf, but i think the "gist" of it is that if you look around you, you are a witness to the ultimate perpetual machine.... that being the universe in all its highly questionable origin and destiny , and its equally questionable stability and sustainability in the face of the most outrageous improbabilityand irregularity....

15. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

And of course it ( the universe) stands as an extreme example of how our conservation laws are flawed.
    Having been created seemingly spontaneously from Nothing.

So it is clear that our understanding at present is somewhat lacking.....This of course does not mean that what we understand is not of worth , only that we have to admit that there is a hell of a lot more to learn before we can make absolute statements about the validity of conservation laws and "the impossibility of PPM's"

16. HOWARDSTERN HOWARDSTERN has logged out.... Registered Senior Member

Well....if the idea is that the earth is a pmm, then one should take into account that the fusion action in our sun, is responsible for virtually all the energy/matter conversion processes on the earth.

Is the sun a pmm? By most accounts, no.

Is the universe a pmm? Hell, I dunno.

FREE THE WEED

Last edited: Jul 17, 2004