why is my internet so slow?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by ashpwner, Aug 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ashpwner Registered Senior Member

i used to have telewest pakege were we got internet phone and cable for £30 a month, But now vergina has taken over my internet is soooo slow... why is this? and is anyonr else geting the problem?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

contact your company:

0906 212 1111

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. ashpwner Registered Senior Member

lol i'm only 14 they wouldent take me seriously

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. draqon Banned Banned

tel: 0906 212 1111

mention your problem.

do not hesitate.

I killed a bunny with my bear hands to eat it when I was just 9 years old. Now you are older...you can do it. Go and call.

8. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Don't tell them your age!

9. draqon Banned Banned

"Hi, I am Ash and I am 14"

"Excuse me darling?"

"Well I am 14 and emmm I want to ask you something"

"This is no time for games, now unless you have a specific question, state it now"

"You are so mean"

..hangs up

10. ashpwner Registered Senior Member

o.......k draqon

11. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

If your internet connection is always on (e.g. you have a router that stays on all the time) then the likelihood is that over time your packets have fragmented, this is especially true if you are into using file-sharing networks since multiple connections can cause the router a certain amount of grief.

Usually the fix is a simple reboot.
    (Turn off the router, and the Modem, turn the modem on after 30 seconds, wait about 1 minute then turn the router on, you should then be able to turn computers on to connect to the router with no problem)

If you believe it to be down to the Virgin Media take over, it is actually possible that there current 'Upgrading' of systems is causing a few problems here and there. (Currently they have been working through upgrading their internal cable networks to support 20Mb lines)

It's also possible that Virgin Media uses a different Contention Ratio to what previous companies did. This might mean you'll find a performance drop during peak times. (Just note that when they do upgrading they can shift people about so as to continue service meaning that the Contention Ratio changes could only be temporary)

12. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

It's a conspiracy!

13. leopold Valued Senior Member

this is the only reason i switched to verizon.
    my previous ISP was supposed to be delivering 1500 bits per second to my computer. they only delivered an average of about 800. all the calling, cussing, daming, swearing and threatening made NO difference. so i switched to verizon. i pay for 3000 bps and i get between 2800 and 3100. needless to say my previous ISP can suck my toes. they certainly suck at everything else.

14. jcjim998 Registered Member

The computer problems always drive me crazy, I want a program to solve my slow computer, several days ago my friend recommend me a software tuneup360, now I'm waiting for the result.

15. Chipz Banned Banned

Have you tried spraying it with WD40?

16. X-Man2 We're under no illusions. Registered Senior Member

I have Frontier DSL(Was Verizon) with 2 other computers connecting via wireless.I have to power off the Modem and Router about once every 2 days cause the internet slows down to a crawl or we loose our connection altogether.After re-connecting all is fine again.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  17. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I didn't know you were a bear. I'll have to start treating you with more respect.

18. Grim_Reaper I Am Death Destroyer of Worlds Registered Senior Member

Well as you are only 14 I would start with the parents and see if they rerduced the service to save money.

19. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

[puts a big plug of dip behind his lip]
    i tell ya wut - ol' buddy o' mine uses ten-dubya-fowty when his innernet starts gettin' all gummed dup. Git you sum o' that quayker state. Should clear you right up.

20. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

WD40 and duct tape are the only two tools one needs.

If it moves and shouldnt use duct tape.

If it doesn't move and should use WD40.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.