Why is life worth living?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by s0meguy, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Agreed.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. swivel Sci-Fi Author Valued Senior Member

Don't depress the TS. Everyone died at the end of Hamlet except for Horatio.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Actually i got made up that quote based off of the to be or not to be speech.

But do remember that Hamlet died fighting chaos, not committing suicide to get away from it.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

If you don't like the way your life is, change it. What do you do now? What would you do if you could do anything at all? Whats keeping you from doing that? The good thing about getting fed up with yourself is that you can start over.

8. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

The very smallest and what would appear insignificant of reasons to live are numerous. Even to observe a blue sky, rolling green hills, blue-greens of oceans and lakes, stars at night, are reasons enough. After observing them, I can't imagine a world without them, nor would want to.

9. swivel Sci-Fi Author Valued Senior Member

People who are chronically depressed do not derive pleasure from those things. They feel awful all the time.

Without medication it is hard to come up with a justification for why people who feel like this should continue in their torment.

10. Liebling Doesn't Need to be Spoonfed. Valued Senior Member

There is nothing that can get that will make your life feel like it is worth living, because as soon as that thing is gone, you go back to feeling not too great. The sunshine on your face, the sound of water lapping the shore, the warmth of your companion... these things have an impermanance.

The key to living day to day is the moment. Each moment. And knowing that you can get out of that moment what you put into that moment.

That is all there is. And it is monumental.

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I think working with nature can be very healing. Most people who are chronically depressed do not live around nature. Or have an awareness of it.

12. John99 Banned Banned

It is interesting that sOmeguy hasnt been back to read this. anyway, my best friend died 5 years years ago. his death was avoidable too but i think about him all the time and all the regular every day things he misses out on.

i really think that life is too short and if you cant get through a few decades then that is pretty bad. things change, sometimes completely and the life you have now may be totally different 5 or 10 years from now.

13. Enmos Valued Senior Member

He has been reading it. He's just not replying.. yet.

14. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Very true !

15. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

That's a different story. If the author of the OP is chronically depressed, a medical issue, perhaps he/she should be seeking professional help rather than asking for help on an open forum.

16. swivel Sci-Fi Author Valued Senior Member

Our advice is free.

17. dummy_ Banned Banned

Two words: sexy girls

18. swivel Sci-Fi Author Valued Senior Member

Finally! An answer.

19. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Tis better you go down swinging at your adversaries rather than letting them devour you by your own means , don't let the bastards win!

20. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Damn I was gonna suggest KCl, but you seem genuinely depressed, so I will actually give you serious advice.

See your doctor and ask for mental treatment. Go do it already.

21. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

But, it could be very, very wrong and make matters worse.

22. frattman Registered Member

someguy - Have you ever tried volunteering for some cause that you might like? Perhaps helping people out that are worse off than yourself? First of all, I think that it's pretty universal for people to gain pleasure out of helping and connecting with others. Secondly, you'll see that there are plenty of people out there that are worse off than you, and yet, they persevere. I also agree with the anti-depression drug approach, it may not be a panacea, but it's better than the alternative.

Apathy may try to prevent you from getting up and doing something but don't let it - just start a new venture and gain some momentum to get out of this rut.

23. swivel Sci-Fi Author Valued Senior Member

Most of the therapy you pay for does the same.