why is it against forum rules to call someone bigot when they push biogtry

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by pjdude1219, Jul 13, 2010.

1. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

is it against forum rules to call someone bigot when they advocate denying rights to people because of who they are. of course the st5ated reason for such infractions is never stated as such like String's recent one accusing me of calling Spider a bigot because he disagreed with me ignoring Spider's long history of advocating the denial of palestinian rights. Isn't calling for the denial of a people's right for who they are about as cut and dry as it gets for bigotry?

I'd also like to note these kinds of things happen almost entirely in the discussion the Israel and palestine.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

No. As long as you can back it up with appropriate evidence.

You might want to look up what "bigot" actually means.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Gustav Banned Banned

here is what could possibly and most likely, be up for grabs....

was the accusation supported by a documention of this alleged history?
    if not, are you forcing string to share your sentiments and memory?

rights? in what context? a mere assertion on the "people's" part?
    did you spell it out?

where are the goddamn links, pj?
    rigor rather than slop, please

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Gustav Banned Banned

did you or did you not?

8. Gustav Banned Banned

Now I lay me down to sleep,
    I pray the lord my soul to keep;
    if I die before I wake,
    I pray for God my soul to take.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Yes, he did.

10. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Of course you should call people out for their bigotry and evilness. I'm going to start doing it much more often.

11. superstring01 Moderator

PJ. I'm not going to hold your hand and walk you through this ever again, so what follows is the very, VERY last time you will receive a warning + explanation without accompanying suspension. You've actually been told not to call people bigots before, so the fact that you are still here and able to post--when you should be gone for sixty days (that's your current ban level)--is a sign of my magnanimity.

Don't want to thank me? Good. All I care about is that you follow the rules. Do that, and it'll be thanks enough. Follow the rules as spelled out and--like most of your time here in the past few weeks--I will not read or interfere with your tireless, broken record debates with the likes of Spider, Buffalo and whomever. They're boring, you're not ever going to win, your opponent will never say, "wow PJ, that was really true, I've seen the light!" but if you like tilting windmills for fun, then have at it. But do it politely or find another forum.

You should at least pretend to have the intelligence of knowing that just because a person differs from your personal, subjective worldview on how the universe should function, that doesn't inherently make them a bigot. Liberals don't hold license on that word, to dispense it wherever they see fit just to show how hoity-toity and "better than everybody else" they are. Like right wingers who like to call lefties like you traitors, unpatriotic and other pointless japs. It just doesn't work like that.

Find another way to express yourself, or. . . go away for two months. Personally, I think it would be nice if you didn't come back 'till autumn, but only you can make that happen. Or not. Your choice. But don't come begging for any more explanations or sympathy; you've gotten more of both from this management team than almost any other member currently posting.

~String

12. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

No i didn't call him a bigot for disagreeing with me. I called him a bigot for pushing biogtry ie. the notion that Islam is inherently violent and his repeated attempts to portray arabs and muslims as less than other, not to mention his statements in regards to palestinians being denied legal rights.

13. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

and if I'm never given the chance too?

calling for people to have legal rights taken away from them, implying certain religious faiths cause violence, and pushing for things for one's one side without a factual backing. These all fit under the definition of the word.

14. John99 Banned Banned

It isnt fair to call one person a bigot.

15. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

Something I haven't denied. My main problem is the reason string attached to it. I have a problem when I am punished for what he thinks my reasons are. and I'll admit this is a long standing problem between the 2 of us where he feels He knows me reasons and my mind better than I do. I'll admit perhaps I should have come to you in private but I have a problem when someone tries to tell me what my own reasons are. this was part of thing that pushed me in the initial incident with string to get made and start rocking the boat. If he just went don't call people a bigot with out backing it I'd have been fine with that its states the problem and leaves the actions that need to do to not get anymore infractions clear but when he did as he did(and almost always has in his dealings with) assumes a reason and gives the infraction more for the assumed reason of the action than the action itself I have a problem with that.

16. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

really so it wouldn't be fair to call clansman marching down the street chanting n*****s go home it wouldn't be fair to call them bigots?

17. Doreen Valued Senior Member

you could avoid the ad hom by saying that

X

is a bigoted assertion or idea

because______________

Then you haven't labeled the person which is milder (sometimes).

18. John99 Banned Banned

Well i was referring to sciforums. Not that it is different but from what i can tell everyone is a bigot.

Which is not saying that as a bad thing but it is a kind of weakness.

I cant hold another to an unduly high standard though. Things are often a matter of perception though.

You may be confusing bigotry with something else though.

I have to admit, i have seen otherwise esteemed members show signs of bigotry.

19. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

I'm pretty sure I've seen mods refer to others as bigots, amongst other things, without backing it up - so it can't be against the rules. Unless you count quoting posts as evidence of their assertions. :shrug:

That said, PJ you always seem to be getting banned/warned, maybe you should just leave the (in your opinion) bigots to it? There's obviously no point you discussing it with them and it gets you into trouble. You have an ignore list, use it.
    I'm not interested in discussing who's right or wrong, mostly because I don't care, I'm just offering you some helpful advice.

20. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

tis no more my nature to do so than mouse to act like a lion

21. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

You can't call retards idiots or morons stupid, so I guess the same goes for bigotry...

22. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

There's a difference between calling the PERSON a bigot and calling something they SAID bigoted.

I prefer the latter, but I'm a volatile little fuck sometimes

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

23. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

From PJdude's point of view, it is bigoted against the Palestinian people to advocate denying them rights. By rights, he means the right to move back to the area where they lived before they became refugees of the 1948 war. From my point of view, such a move isn't a right, there are numerous political, economic, and social factors that I feel would make the outcome of this adverse to the well being of Israelis (mostly) and Palestinians (arguably).

I don't hate Palestinians, I just feel they are misguided and perhaps influenced by their religion, which I feel, in comparison to other world religions, allows for a certain amount of righteous violence, and is certainly arrogant in claiming perfection. I don't want anything but peace, and I think the best way to do this in the short term is for the Palestinians to have their own country. If I were bigoted against them, I would say they don't deserve a country and should all be deported to other Arab nations. Rather, I am encouraged by the actions of the administration in the West Bank and feel they set a good example for Hamas. I also don't think Israel is beyond criticism, they are influenced by their own religious nuts, but advocating the elimination of Israel as a country is might actually be considered bigotry (at best), and anti-semitism (at worst).