why is homosexuality more taboo among men than women?

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Asguard, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

well i guess the title says it all

(im sleepy now will add more here tomorow if i need to, cant think straigh)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

Who says that it is?

:m: Peace.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. notme2000 The Art Of Fact Registered Senior Member

Probably cause we live in a male-dominated society, and men like seeing women together...

Though, now that I think about it, I don't know any women that would want to see men together.... :bugeye:

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. static76 The Man, The Myth, The Legend Registered Senior Member

Because seeing two women together is more pleasing to the eye than two men, for most guys and women. Maybe it's also the roles that men and women have in society, women are thought to be much more sensual than men, while men are thought to be macho.

8. Binary Registered Senior Member

Men are naturally more critical, and judgemental.

Example:

Cross dressing for men, regardless of whether they think about it, or understand why, is by majority unquestionably wrong. Also when was the last time you heard about a cross dressing women? Answer you don't, because they do it all the time, most seamingly without ever realizing it. This is just one of the many examples of the more obivious but less observed mental predispositons, caused by the appearnt mismatch of concentration of computational powers, due to the biologically predifined roles of male and female men.

9. notme2000 The Art Of Fact Registered Senior Member

Binary,
    Great point. I'd have to say that is the most likely explanation.

10. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

Crossdressing does not necessarily denote homosexuality, so the two need not be related. I am still waiting to hear something that establishes the fact that male homosexuality is more taboo than female homosexuality. In order to make this statement, you have to include both men and women in the statistics. Many, many women with whom I have discussed lesbianism find the thought of sexual contact with another woman repulsive.

11. Binary Registered Senior Member

I think you missed the reference.

12. static76 The Man, The Myth, The Legend Registered Senior Member

I think it has to do with the way the media portrays sexuality in society.

If a woman kisses another women, she isn't neccessarily portrayed as gay or even bi for that matter. TV shows and Movies portray two women together all the time, and has desentisized the "so-called shock" of lesbian relations. Listen to interviews with female celebrities about their sexcapes and you'll find that a good lot of them have "experimented" with other women. Yet they are straight women.

On the flipside, the image of two men together hasn't been desentisized by the media. Because of this, the same repulsion and taboo that was put on lesbianism, still remains on gay relationships. The image of two men, goes against what the media has told us to find attractive in society.

These attitudes change throughtout, and its anyones guess how we will feel in the future, for example. The ancient Greeks had a more liberal society, and many of the taboos we have weren't there. America in the 1700's, had a more consertative society, that didn't even want women to wear pants(way too man'y for a lady).

The only way to change attitudes in society is to change it's influences. The media over the last 50 years has become the defining force in the way people shape their perspectives and ideas. It used to be religion, but I feel the media has taken over the title. So the way to changes attitudes is through the media.

13. notme2000 The Art Of Fact Registered Senior Member

I'm not promoting Christina Aguilera but her last video showed 2 men kissing through out the video, and I thought that was pretty brave. Yet at the same time we still have Eminem denoting homosexuality until someone gets upset, then says he's kidding... But if you can call this progress, then we're in the right direcntion.

14. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

I see where this is coming from

A group of guys will be at full attention (no pun intended lol) where it comes to Lesbians, but when it comes to homosexual men, they usually want to beat the crap outta them

15. static76 The Man, The Myth, The Legend Registered Senior Member

I don't think the typical reaction is to beat the crap out of them, IMO. That is usually reserved for a guy who is so insecure about his own sexuality, that he needs to prove how much a man he is to himself.

16. Xev Registered Senior Member

Power. It seems weirder to have one guy "submit" to another guy than it does for a girl to submit to another girl.

17. ndrs The Anti-Cthulhu Registered Senior Member

hmm good point Xev...
    Men hate to see weak men. Men love to see weak women. The taker is usually the weak one.

18. susan Registered Senior Member

yeah

yeah, something I just learned last year in fact-

men (when going for women) just pick the easiest prey,
    generally.
    this is a generalization, of course, and only true for the
    majority of guys I've seen picking up girls in bars and
    places as designated picking-up ground.

19. ndrs The Anti-Cthulhu Registered Senior Member

susan.. trust me, it depends how desperate and macho the guy is..
    I always try to pick the best one. Usually she doesn't meet my standards.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Although there were a few desperate evenings...

20. susan Registered Senior Member

yeah

funny, this.
    a friend of mine kind of creeps me out, yet he is super-intelligent.
    so I always wonder if I don't want to pick him up because
    he's just "too difficult" or if there is actually a reason I don't
    want to pick him up, like he is mostly pathetic and "proving"
    something. hmmm. you can never know people, not really;
    they change too quickly.

21. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

Look at the generalizations fly!
    Who in the hell would want a mousy girl as a S.O.?

22. Microzoft Registered Senior Member

Re: yeah

Yes, some people can change too quickly. It is therefore not to pay too much attention to the sugarcoating, try read between the lines, try to sense insights on respect, starting by investing time on men that as a norm level themselves to you. Since relationship mostly begin in friendship, you would never make friends with someone not sensitive towards you right? So, why would you pick up a date with fewer standards??

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

23. Mystech Adult Supervision Required Registered Senior Member

Ok I'm comming into this a little late, So this post is a little far back.

I'd have to argue against the idea of "biologically predefined roles" It's all social conditioning in my opinion.