Why is History judge so differently

Discussion in 'History' started by alexb123, Aug 21, 2005.

1. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

Why is History judged so differently

Hitler attempts to conquer the world yet many who have gone before have done the exact same thing yet they are seen so differently. Take for example the Roman's who conquered a much larger area than Hitler managed, they also killed Christians rather than Jews but this conquest is see in an almost romantic light. Why is this the case when Hitler is the most hated man in history.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2005
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mr.Jack4WAR Hating the Hated Registered Senior Member

In my opinion, rulers were expected to be that cruel back then, but in the modern world, Hitler pushed his boundaries.

and your comparing to different subject.
    Hitler - Rome
    im pretty sure Rome lasted a lot longer than Hitler.
    Ceaser wasn't a brutal leader. maybe to his enemies of war, but not to his own countrymen. Hitler randomly hated jews with a sick passion. and giving power to an insane man will probably give u a bad rep. (Adolf, Fidel, Saddam etc.)

and lastly, Saddam has killed way more people than Hitler could dream in his sick mind.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

Saddam hasn't killed over 55 million people. Only about three mil, at most.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Mr.Jack4WAR Hating the Hated Registered Senior Member

hitler didnt kill 55 million people!

8. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

Let's see-
    Combining the Holocaust, Political killings, combat during WW2, plus random atrocities duirng WW2...yeah, that'd be around 50 million...with Russia alone being half of those casualties, and since Hitler started the war, he is at fault for it. He is the one responisble for those millions.

9. Mr.Jack4WAR Hating the Hated Registered Senior Member

o i guess you are right, i never included the war though.
    i was looking more of his personal killings and the holocaust.

but if you look at it that way, then No saddam hasn't topped the list.

10. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

Heck, in merely his personal vendettas, Hitler caused over four times as many deaths as Saddam could ever be held accountable for.
    Saddam is a shrimp compared to the big fish out there...Hitler, Mao, Stalin, etc...

11. orestes Strategos Registered Senior Member

12. Chatha big brown was screwed up Registered Senior Member

Stalin clearly takes this cake, followed closely by Hitler, and maybe God if you consider the floods and the trials still to come.

13. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

This has been covered here before. The consensus seems to be that war counts just as much as killing your own subjects and I can't find any fault with that logic. It was Hitler, Stalin, Mao. I want to see the statistics normalized over the world population at the time. I'd be curious to see what percentage of the people on earth were killed by people like Attila and Tamerlane. Perhaps in their day they were as bad as our monsters, who had such easy pickings.

If you want to include the whole timespan of the Roman Empire then you'd have to do the same thing for the Spanish Empire. The head count of Native Americans they killed would be just ghastly. I've seen estimates as high as fifty million for the population of the Americas in 1491 and most of them lived south of the Rio Grande.

14. John Smith II Banned Banned

Hhhmmm I cetainly would'nt label Fidel Castro as "insane", as he was'nt exactly 'given' power either - he siezed it. He was more akin to Che Guevara than either Hitler or Saddam. (Such a comparison seems a tad tenious and unfair.) I, and many others are of the belief that he did what was best for his fellow countrymen. (Prehaps thats because I'm not American.)

15. madoc Registered Member

It all comes down to the press. Take King John and Richard the Lionhearted.

Legend
    King John was evil incarnate
    Richard was good incarnate

Fact
    King John developed the first english navy, King John developed a functional justice system that still lives on today.

Richard was rarely in England, and cost her most of her wealth. Had zero positve effect on the eventual outcome of the English empire. (yes I know that a case could be made that just existing had an effect. The romantized warrior of god thing, probally did on some level effect the actions of those that came latter)

Why do fact and reality differ so much. Easy monks wrote the history and John pissed them off.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2005
  16. john smith Tongue in cheek Registered Senior Member

ACTUALLY I THINK YOU'LL FIND HE DIDNT.The god dammend corupt goverment gave it too him on a plate.

Dont talk shite, seriously man, do you actually know who che guevara was, what he stood for, what he achieved???

This really doesnt suprise me,you would know that, wouldnt you, youv been fed so much bollocks about this guy that you probably think of him as some kind of hero, tell me do you own a Che Guevara shirt???
    Following like sheep hey???!!!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

:m:

17. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

Hitler is only seen in a bad light because he failed in his conquest. When one achieves victory of world conquest, they're able to write their own history. Imagine the world full of blonde-haired, blue-eyed, German-speaking people; they'd love him then.

- N

18. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

There's no way Saddam killed more than 6 million people. He couldn't have even killed the hundred thousand or so he did without our help.

What's so great about Rome? They killed their share of Jews, too. Perhaps it is more romantic because not every Roman ruler was the same. Some loved expanding empire, some liked to concentrate more on aqeducts, architecture, and orgies.

19. River Ape Valued Senior Member

How very right you are, madoc!
    But what you have to remember is that a modern historian (just as much as a contemporary chronicler) also has to bias his work to satisfy his masters. No use writing another book that makes John out to be a baddie! The publisher is master and he needs a book to shock and surprise. No matter what the reality, today's history books need to reveal that things were actually quite different from what we always supposed.

So that book (perhaps we are thinking of the same one) that makes out that John was not so bad after all has to be viewed with suspicion.

Even the revelation that America was discovered not by Columbus in 1492 but by madoc in 1170 has to be treated with an element of doubt!

20. John Smith II Banned Banned

LMFAO!! Go back to your 'GCSE History' class my friend or read some books they're always good - I'd recommend "Now I know my ABC's..." thats a good start.
    Self-induced caricature if you ask me. Lets not pretend that we know something about nothing shall we? Somebody stinks of sordid conjecture if you ask me.

Tell me, do you even know who Fulgencio Bastista was? And by refering to the "government" do you mean US or Cuban?? Let me teach you something (nice and brief for your rather simplistic understanding) Batista was a f*cking puppet installed by the US. Castro overthrew him and the rest my cocaine dependent friend is history (something you clearly have little knowledge about, or at least on this topic)...although he did ask a US mate of his for help - but thats another story. Becoming the first Commie state in the Western hemisphere is quite an achivement would'nt you say?

And yes I do own a Che Guevara T-shirt. And I think you'll find he encouraged freedom and individuality not "sheep". You seem to delude yourself by jumping on a fat, delluded and already overcowded Pro-US bandwagon - struck a nerve have I? Or am I the one whose been fed so much "bollocks"?

(Despite succumbing to Capitalism by buying the T-shirt, it helps immortalise his image in the time-hallowed antiquity of the annals of history - besides I would'nt steal it from an independent retailer!) :m:

21. John Smith II Banned Banned

Does Terry Derry's series of "Horrible History" books (uk) for kids cover the political, economic, social and military context of the Cold War? If so, my friend, they will suit you fine...The book will probably be entitled "Crazy Cold War" or "Fearsome Fidel" for entertainment's sake, and I'm sure you'll have a blast. (BUT only read this when you are proficient in spelling your own name, and have finshed "Now I know my ABC's...")

22. Von Chav Gold chains & Stella!! Registered Senior Member

Amen to you John Smith II!!

23. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

Hitler not only failed miserably in his attempts but also failed in his attempt at genocide. That endeavor should have either succeeded or never started; because we now face the never-ending whining of the semites and the Israeli-Palestinian problem.
    Oh yeah he also dragged his own country and most of Europe into drastic debt, thus allowing US to emerge as one of the two superpowers and letting it assume the heroic status. US still hasn't recovered from the power rush, I think. Shortly, Hitler was a bastard who messed everything up.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2005