Why is God so obsessed with sex?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by synthesizer-patel, Sep 14, 2010.

1. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

It's not.

Living beings take birth in different bodies or life forms: one can take birth in the human life form, or in an animal life form, or in a plant life form, for example.
    The soul (ie. the actual living being) is not the body.

God has created the human life form for different purposes than the plant life form, for example.

The human life form is meant for reaching higher states of consciousness.

Unrestrained action on whatever desire may come up in a person's mind (be that sex desire, desire for food, possessions, etc.) impedes the progress to that higher consciousness.

If you don't want that higher consciousness, you are of course free to act as you feel your desires dictate.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Big Chiller Registered Senior Member

Also moral problems such as incest or discomfort in sex acts.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Doreen Valued Senior Member

And what do you think impure thoughts are.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Big Chiller Registered Senior Member

I just went along with her.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Doreen Valued Senior Member

But doesn't it seem odd that one of your reasons for rules around sex is that there are diseases, but God made the diseases. So we come with bodies with desires and are placed where there are diseases so it is better we do not follow the urges we were given by God.

As far as discomfort in sex, what are you referring to. I have never seen religions address this very much.

Incest as a problem could have been avoided any number of ways. We could have been made to find this act revulsive. In fact most seem to. I certainly didn't need a religious text or deity to tell me about this.

9. Doreen Valued Senior Member

Well, yes....so what are impure thoughts and what thoughts about sex are OK?

10. rcscwc Registered Senior Member

Biblegod is original messer up. See how he messed up with life of Adam.

11. Doreen Valued Senior Member

Oh, thank goodness.
    If this is interfered with by sexual thoughts desires and acts, why not make us less sexual?

Same question.

How do we know one must choose between 'lower' and 'higher' states of consciousness. Can one not have variation?

12. Doreen Valued Senior Member

I was asking a Hindu, I think.

13. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Such reasoning would apply in a system where the soul is considered to be the body; or in a system where the way the body is exclusively dependent on the soul's will.
    These are common implications of popular Christianity, or some other mainstream Western view.

14. Doreen Valued Senior Member

Yes, I was mostly working on the Abrahamic side of the tracks there.

For me soul and body are facets of the same self. A soul bodying. A body souling.

In a sense we reify body and that tends to seem OK, but then reifying the soul seems problematic. I think both reifications are. And since the onset of science this has gotten even worse.

15. Doreen Valued Senior Member

Since you say 'we' this means you are thinking about other people and their sex lives. So this must be OK, not impure thoughts then?

16. rcscwc Registered Senior Member

Was he? After creation, he found it good. By Noah's time it was bad enough to anger him, so sent the flood. Proves he created a flawed world. Was he aware of the original flaws? Nope.

17. Big Chiller Registered Senior Member

Of course not.

18. Doreen Valued Senior Member

Then what's the problem?

19. rcscwc Registered Senior Member

You got a Hindu opinion of biblegod.

20. Doreen Valued Senior Member

Ooh, this is interesting. Yes, the OT and the perfect all knowing God are a tough fit.

1 point to the Hindus. Come one Christians, how could an all knowing God get pissed off about what we do?

21. Doreen Valued Senior Member

yes, I see that discussion and hope it continues. Care to answer as a Hindu from within that tradition the question I asked?

22. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

twice infact, 3 times if you take into acount that one of his other creations (angels) betrayed him too

23. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

The corollary of this reasoning is: Why not simply make us enlightened, perfect robots?

Living beings have free will.
    This might seem like a burden sometimes, certainly.

I was referring to a spectrum, with low on one end and high on the other, and everything inbetween.

Generally, people have a desire to be happy, or to be happier than they currently are.
    This is a given, we do not need to be taught this. Although there aspects of learning involved in how to get to that higher happiness.