Why is cold syrup sweeter than warm syrup?

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by Syzygys, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Here, try this experience. Taste a spoonful of syrup when it is quite rigid, let's say out of the fridge. Then put it into the microwave, warm it for 30 secs and when you taste it it is going to be less sweet. It has something to do with the consistency I guess, since warm syrup is more liquidish than a cold one.
    Anytime when I warm up pancakes I have to put more syrup on it to get the same taste...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

LOL, do you ever think you have too much time on your hands?
    Or did you start with real cold syrup?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Sorry, I meant maple syrup, for pancake. Try it tomorrow morning.

P.S.: OP did mention pancakes...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Well, my next question is:

Whatever happens to sweetness when the pancake sucks the syrup up? Sometomes I have to pure a gallon of syrup on 1 pancake just to taste a little sweet...

8. chuk15 Registered Senior Member

Perhaps the syrup gets soaked into the pancake and sticks to the pancake because it is spongey. The syrup has get into the grooves in your tastebuds before you can taste it.

You could test to see how much syrup is stuck in the pancake by weighing a regular un-soaked pancake, and compare it to a soaked pancake where you have tried to squeeze as much syrup from it as you can. The difference in weight of the soaked and un-soaked pancake will tell you how much syrup is trapped in the pancake.

9. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

Geeez, people, we are really bored here, aren't we?

Syzygys, I think that you will have to invest in a mass spectrometer to get an accurate reading of exactly which elements are present to what degree, before, during and after a good hot squeeze. This is the only way you are going to get a definitive answer.

As a control for the experiment, let's try pouring the syrup on a member of the opposite sex and see if it's still sweeter cold - you might get different results...