Why is America so expansionistic?

Discussion in 'History' started by Roman, Feb 27, 2007.

1. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

I posted, just recently, an article that indicated that some of the Iraqi people want the USA to help protect them from the viciousness of the "insurgents" and "terrorists" that are killing them for no reason.

Shall we ask those Iraqis, Sam?

Baron Max

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

I just thought about this again.....

Why is it wrong for a nation to help it's own companies, it's own economy, and it's own citizens, when doing business in other nations?

Doesn't India help protect Indian businesses and it's citizens?

Baron Max

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Roman Banned Banned

If America's an empire, then the wetbacks are invaders.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Well.
    Let's go with the simple example given to us in Afghanistan.

We invade Afghanistan and tell the farmers that growing poppies is bad, m'kay?
    So, the farmers are like, "Ok, growing poppies is bad, m'kay. We'll grow some wheat."
    So.
    They do.
    A huge bumper crop of wheat.
    But.
    They can't sell it because of all the 'food aid' coming in from the US.
    The food aid is required to come from US farmers.
    Congressmen from farming states have made sure that this is how things are done and they refuse to let things be done any other way.
    We won't aid the country by buying their wheat. Instead, we buy our own and force it on them.
    Then their wheat rots.

And the farmers go back to growing poppies.

Growing poppies is bad, m'kay? But growing wheat is worse as long as American hegemony is on the line.

As to America being expansionistic. I was tempted to bring up Wilson's 14 points, but really it was before that we moved to an imperialistic mentality.
    Was it perhaps Teddy Roosevelt that symbolized the first strivings of America to rule the world?
    Or was it the policy of Manifest Destiny from generations before?

8. Roman Banned Banned

You can trace the roots of American Expansionism all the way back to the first colonials that decided to leave their countries behind and uproot half a world away. Historians attribute the Brit's refusal to allow settlement past the Cumberland Gap (that's the way west of the Appalachain's right?) for causing tensions between colonists and the Crown.

9. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

It all sums up to one word: GREED.

"You always want more than you need..." Damian Marley.

10. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

So ...the American government should protect the farmers of Afghanistan above and beyond American farmers??? And if they don't, if they protect Americans, then America is being ....expansionist and/or imperialist?

Makes perfect sense to me, why don't it to you? I can't grasp why you think American congressmen should let American wheat farmers suffer so as to aid some other nation of the world? ..especially one where the people are trying to kill other Americans.

What is it that protecting American farmers is not what American congressmen aren't supposed to do? Who voted for them ...Afghanis?

Baron Max

11. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Well, yeah, okay. But since the late 1800s, where has the USA expanded to? And if we haven't expanded since then, how can we now be called "expanionist"?

And as far as the subject of "influence", doesn't almost every nation in the world try to influence other nations in their favor ...on trade or world politics or in the UN or.....?

Baron Max

12. Roman Banned Banned

After finishing up the indian wars (late 1800s), we moved south into latin america, and west though the pacific. There was the Phillipines and Japan (and maybe China? I think the Brits had a stanglehold on it, though), and the myriad of pacific islands.

13. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

The american policy/behavior is also present before and after WWII look at the Manifest Destiny and the Monroe Doctrine.

14. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

I believe Afganistan is now USA territory, they bombed it out, and now in control. How do you call that?
    And now Puerto Rico is another state, isn´t that expanding?

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

All you ever wanted to know about the [ENC]United States[/ENC]

16. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Written up by Sam??? ...LOL!

No, I didn't read it, because if you posted it, then it has to be something bad and nasty about America or Americans.

Baron Max

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Believe it or not, I did not write it.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

My only contribution was to add it to the category of fruitless chin stroking.

Anyway, its a funny write up. Even you will like it.

18. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

19. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

I liked it...

20. desi Valued Senior Member

America has a good army. We don't have much else going for us. So to keep being able to print money we have to do what bankers tell us to. Stuff like take over Iraq, and maybe Iran soon, so the bankers can establish central banks there to control their currency like they already control ours.

21. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

You think Puerto Rico is a STATE?????????

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Of course it is, part of the [ENC]United States[/ENC]

23. denis Registered Member

Don't blame Americans! They are the good people they have always been.

America is being used by the state of Israel to attain the goals of the jewish people. This explains all the foreign policy actions of the United States of America. Every USA foreign policy action taken over the past 7 years has benefited the state of Isreal.

The invasion of Afghanistan allowed the reestablishment of the opium trade which had been stopped by the Taliban.

The invasion of Iraq is part of the master plan of Israel as outlined in something called the PNAC plan.

The invasion of Lebanon for which the USA provided ammunition benefited the country of Israel.

The calls for military action against Iran benefit the country of Israel.

The Harriri inquiry at the UN is about using the UN to put pressure on Syria to benefit the country of Israel.

The current US military provocations aimed at Russia benefit the country of Israel.
    ------------------------

It has been downhill for America since the Israelis assasinated JFK for trying to prevent Israel from obtaining nuclear weapons. America has been a client state of Israel ever since.