Why is a hit & run so bad?

Discussion in 'The Cesspool' started by zanket, Dec 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zanket Human Valued Senior Member

Next year hopefully. It's a theory actually.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

My kid was hit by a car this last summer. The guy in the car stopped, for that reason I couldn't be angry with him. He was broken up about it. My boy, however, bounced off the car like a rubber ball and had only a few scratches. It was an accident that could have been so much worse. Now, if the driver had not stopped and taken the time to help my kid, I would have been angry, even though my kid was not seriously hurt.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. teguy Registered Senior Member

Bowser:
    I personally agree with Bowser's remark here; and probably act/feel accordingly.

At the same time, my rational mind also understands Zanket's postion. I am not from the US originally and that I can tell from my experience that, in relation to other developed countries, US' criminal/justice system is probably the worst in virtually all aspects. US is a country in which it requires to have clad of lawers to make a business deal (or any deal for that matter). People in America instinctively - especially the rational ones such as Zanket - act not out of their conscience but out of self-defence mechanism over existing justice system. In America, the very First thing a hit-and-run killer would think is probably "what's the financial consequences if I stopped now vis-a-vis existing judiciary system?". While in other developed nations - as Bowser pointed out - he/she probably won't feel much financial threat as in America, probided their justice system is more 'humane' than that of America; as a result, he/she would probably stop.

This reminds of an infamous quote by Marx:

"It is not the consciousness of men that determines their being, but, on the contrary, their social being that determines their consciousness."

Indeed, as Foucault also made a similar remark: "The pure limitation of Human freedom is set by laws of a nation."

Zanket is a product of American society whose justice system is so 'severe' that he no longer shares 'general trust' with his very constituency.

I am sure his opinion must have been different had he born and raised in more civilised developed nations such as any Northern European nation (thanks to their homogenious population, they at least share 'common trust' each other, and their justice system so civilised that consequences of 'wrong-doing' or 'accident' are never as inhumanely sever as in America.

I think lack of public turst in America is the epitome of American life.

sad...

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. zanket Human Valued Senior Member

Had the driver not stopped but there were plenty of bystanders to help your kid, which the driver would've seen, would you still have been angry? If so, why?

Likely...if the odds were very small that I'd pay a high price for doing nothing wrong, then there'd be no issue for me about stopping.

8. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Zanket - accidents don't just happen. They occur because mistakes are made. Often those mistakes are made by the driver. Was the driver properly observing the presence and behaviour of pedestrians? Was the driver properly alert (absence of drugs, wide awake)? Was his road speed and position correct for the conditions?
    If a driver hits a pedestrian it will frankly be a small minority of cases that he/she is not at least partially responsible.
    Frankly I find your attitude so appalling you have actually won a partial convert: I almost find myself in favour of hit and run driving with you as the victim. More seriously, perhaps you should consider professional help --- in the Netherlands assisted suicide is now legal.

(Note to the admins - I do not consider this an ad hominem attack, since by his declarations Zanket has abrogated any entitlement to be considered human.)

9. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Mod Hat - The Worst in Each Other

This topic seems to have brought out some negative emotions. Were I directly responsible for my absence, I would say something like, "I take a few days away and this is what happens?"

However, as my absence is only indirectly my fault--my internet connection went to pay for someone's bar tab, a circumstance I don't intend to allow to be repeated--I will merely wonder why it is that so many looked away from the facts in order to get emotional. (As to those who did not look away from facts, I do thank you for attempting to inject a measure of sanity into this discussion. Alas, it doesn't always work.)

There's more crap in this topic than I feel like cleaning up. The topic is closed and remanded to the cesspool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.