Why is a hit & run so bad?

Discussion in 'The Cesspool' started by zanket, Dec 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zanket Human Valued Senior Member

The law that effectively says you must stop to catch hell for nothing you did wrong. Are you not reading my posts before replying to them?

Yeah, I didn’t say that it was.

In the case I presented to you the victim is dead. Let’s say their severed head lands on your hood as proof of that. In the case at the top of the thread there are plenty of witnesses who can provide help. If the victim is likely to suffer further from injuries if the driver didn't stop then that's a different story.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. zanket Human Valued Senior Member

Those links show an incomplete picture. What about this guy? Let’s assume the driver knows he was driving safely and could not reasonably have prevented the death. Well even so his life is going to be hell for some 90 days while they investigate the accident. His truck was confiscated in the meantime. He may pay for a lawyer just in case and if he does he’ll look more suspect.

Do you think charges are never erroneously brought in such cases, even when over 100 people have been released from death row in the US after DNA tests proved they weren’t at fault? Even if no charges are filed he may face a civil suit from the victim’s family.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

You're preaching to the choir about imperfections in the justice system. But
    that system is what you accept for the privilege of living in a society. If the
    results of the system are unsatisfactory, you work to change it. To just
    disregard it puts you outside of a society. You don't get to pick and choose.

:m: Peace.

8. zanket Human Valued Senior Member

Sounds great when you haven’t just hit someone with your car. When you are not at fault and victim is dead, I cannot expect you to pay such a high price for no common good.

9. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I wonder how many of you who so blithely say that you would leave the scene after hitting someone if nobody saw you, have ever actually done anything like that.

I would be wracked with guilt. It would change my life forever. I'd be so depressed and crazyand paranoic that I'd probably lose my job and my wife. Waiting forever for that knock on the door, "Mister Fraggle, we finally found you from the tiny bit of dog hair that your bumper left on the victim. We ran a DNA analysis on it. Now, in 2025, when the Amended Homeland Security Act requires all licensed pets to have DNA samples on file, we matched it to your dog."

10. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

So it is your contention that members of a society should
    be allowed to selectively obey only the laws of their choosing?

11. zanket Human Valued Senior Member

I might well be wracked with fear of getting caught, but why would I feel guilty when I did nothing wrong besides disobey an unfair law, which is not wrong in my book?

That is why I would stop though--it’s too hard to get away with a hit & run.

12. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

Zanket:

Did you ever think that the justice system comes down hard on some people because of the hit-and-runners? If everybody was more trustworthy, the system could be more trusting.

Fraggle Rocker:

If I ever get run over on one of my many jay-walking excursions, I hope it's by somebody more like you than Zanket.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. zanket Human Valued Senior Member

You got it. And most of us would do the same when push comes to shove.

14. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

You cannot speak for "most of us" since you don't know most
    of the population. I believe you're sincere in your belief, so I would
    ask what you are doing to change this unfair law?

15. zanket Human Valued Senior Member

This is true. It is also true that if the system and society were more fair then everybody could be more trustworthy. But neither will ever be perfectly fair, and are far from it now.

16. zanket Human Valued Senior Member

Were you falsely convicted of murder and facing life in prison, if you had the chance to escape would you take it?

Writing this. Laws originate in the minds of the people.

17. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

Hardly.

You count on your comments to motivate another to action;
    to initiate change. So, like the person lying dead or dying
    in the road, you feel it is the responsibility of someone else.

18. zanket Human Valued Senior Member

Is that a firm no? You’d voluntarily spend the rest of your life in prison for nothing you did, to obey the law?

Not “dying” unless there are witnesses to help.

Action is sourced from belief. Changing the beliefs of others changes their actions. Therefore writing is a form of action. Great examples of that are MLK’s “I have a dream” speech and the book “Silent Spring.”

Hey, I only thought of this topic yesterday.

19. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

MLK did not just sit around writing. He went out and
    galvanized other to his cause. A slight difference.

20. marv Just a dumb hillbilly... Registered Senior Member

Almost 75% of all accidents are caused by drivers under the age of 25 even though they make up less than 25% of all drivers. zanket is under 25. If you see him driving, RUN!

21. zanket Human Valued Senior Member

Uh, is that a firm no?

OK about MLK, but what else did Rachel Carson, the author of Silent Spring, do? From Amazon: "Silent Spring, released in 1962, offered the first shattering look at widespread ecological degradation and touched off an environmental awareness that still exists."

22. zanket Human Valued Senior Member

I wish.

My avatar deceives.

23. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

And your book comes out when?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.