Why I didnt' want a baby girl

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by mikenostic, Apr 30, 2009.

1. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

I have a low functioning autistic brother, and I'm still on Mike's side here.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Because of your previous statement that human life wasn't valuable or special; that there was no reason to be thankful for your healthy child.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Six. Fucking. Billion. People. Life is not special when there is six fucking billion of them. We could wipe out 99.9% of the population and still have 600,000 people left on this planet. Humans no longer need to 'just try to survive'.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Why exactly are we valuable or special?

Do you look at a dog or bird or insect, and think how lucky and special it is that the animal is healthy and not deformed or sick?

Nope, I did not think so, why with humans?? A human is just another member of a species.

8. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Because he's probably one of those self-important people who think humans are better than every other specie? :shrug:

No, better yet, he has the typical 'I'm a parent. I'm entitled to preferential and better treatment than you non parents' attitude that I loathe.

9. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Yes. Yes I am. And I really can't understand how you could hold a different opinion and continue to live. How many micro-organisms does your immune system kill every day so that you might continue to live? How many organisms are killed every day to provide the food you eat? How many must die to power the computer you're so frivously using now to surf the internet?

You are the cause of a virtual holocaust of death just going about your daily life. If human life is no more important than any other species, how can you bear the guilt?

Do you use medicines tested on animals? Do you eat meat? Hell, do you eat vegetables? Plants are also alive, what right do you have to kill them? Do you wear animal products? Do you brush your teeth? What about all the phytoplankton that had to die to provide your pearly whites?

If you see a dog attacking a child and tearing its flesh from its body do you just walk by because what's one more kid? And don't dogs need to eat?

Personally, I'd gladly wipe out an entire species to save the life of one human child. Without humans, without intelligence, all the life on earth is nothing but a bunch of complex, self-substaining chemical reactions of little more importance than a rock.

10. takandjive Killer Queen Registered Senior Member

Yes, but if I see a child hurting an animal, I also spank that child. Hurting something or someone just to hurt, as is the case there, is unacceptable. And dogs do not eat people. Don't talk trivialities.

Sentient life deserves respect. MAW, from your perspective, humans are the best because they are "the smartest and strongest." Under that theory, if I have one average child, and one with Down's, should I love the one with Down's less? I would never carry a baby with Down's to term because I would worry who would take care of him/her after I die, but not because I'd love them any less, in the same way I don't want my cats to ever suffer.

11. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Because I'm not an arrogant jackass who thinks humans are better than everyone else. All life has a right to live.

You mean the microorganisms that deliberately attack our immune system?
    All life has the right to live, but all life has the right to protect itself from anything threatening it.

Life has to take life in order to eat. Humans aren't the only organism to do it.

You can't bear guilt from something you feel no guilt for.

I don't know what medicines I've taken that have been tested on animals.
    Also, I do not condone any testing on any animals. If by what you said, 'humans' are so much better than other animals, then test that crap on humans.
    Yep, I eat meat. So does lions, tigers, bears, crocs, eagles, falcons, jackals, leopards, cheetahs, snakes, etc.
    I also eat vegetables. So do, rabbits, cows, gazelles, hippos, deer, elk, moose, etc.

Just because I don't think life in general isn't as valuable as you do, doesn't mean I won't try to save a person's life if they are in danger.

That is such an arrogant statement, I don't even know where to begin.

12. takandjive Killer Queen Registered Senior Member

Oh, I love the whole, "WHAT IF A LION WAS EATING A PREMATURE BABY THAT WOULD GROW UP TO BE JESUS BUT THE LION WANTED A SNACK?" argument. Throws my animal-loving ass right in line. I actually break a sweat.

13. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

LMAO!!!! :xctd:

14. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

After I had my first son, I was hoping my second would be a girl. As it turns out HE wasn't.
    When they first told me it was a boy I was disappointed for only a minute or so.
    I was just happy that my baby was healthy and once I saw him, I never gave another thought to wishing he was a girl.

I have been around alot of people with both girls and boys. I would have to say that it is nice not having to deal with the whining and temper tantrums.

I am glad I have 2 boys, even though they can be quit rowdy. I don't have to wait for them like some people with girls who can't get them out of the washroom. I also don't have to spend countless hours at the mall looking for the perfect clothes.

15. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

First of all, I never supported torturing or even intentionally hurting animals for no good reason. Secondly, dogs certainly do kill children. They rarely get the chance to eat them since they're usually discovered in the act.
    Chow mixed breed dog kills child in AZ
    According to MSNBC and azcentral.com reports, a Mesa, Arizona child was killed by the family’s dog on March 5, 2009. The dog is reported to have been a Chow Chow/Golden Retriever mixed breed and has been subsequently euthanized. Bite wounds to the deceased girl’s head were visible when police officers arrived at the scene. At the time of the incident, the child was in a low-lying bassinet. No parent was supervising the dog nor the child at the time of the attack. http://www.examiner.com/x-801-Pet-Care-Examiner~y2009m3d6-Chow-mixed-breed-dog-kills-child-in-AZ

DOG KILLS BABY
    January 4, 2008

A "protective" family dog yesterday mauled an 8-month-old boy to death as his grandmother screamed in horror, unable to wrench the infant from the Doberman's jaws in the family's Brooklyn apartment.

Andrew Stein, the only child of Paula and Brian Stein, died at Kings County Hospital at 3:06 p.m., about an hour after the attack.
    http://www.nypost.com/seven/01042008/news/regionalnews/dog_kills_baby_22678.htm
    I never said it didn't deserve respect. I just said it's not equal to humans. And the reason isn't just that humans are more intelligent than all other life forms on earth. I'd still side with humans against some alien species that was 10 times as intelligent as us. It's because I'm human. It's as simple as that. Regarding the Down's syndrome argument. ONE OF MY FOUR CHILDREN HAS DOWN'S SYNDROME. Sorry we didn't abort it, the screening test was negative. And yes, I love my child with Down's syndrome as much as any of them. Here's a picture of him and his sister:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I could go into the origin of the concept of rights, the social contract, and how species unable to understand such concepts can not possibly be a party to them; but that's not necessary.

I just need to ask if you're a monk living in some remote monestary afraid to even till the soil for fear of harming worms. You're not? Because if you're not, you can not possibly be sincere in your belief that all species are equal.
    Exactly. Because what you really believe is that humans are more important. Or at least that mikenostic is more important than other species. Certainly more important than the plants or animals he eats! Tell me, after it rains and you see a bunch of worms on the surface drowning, do you rush around and try to save them? Or do you just walk by and do nothing? If it were a bunch of humans dying in your yard, would you just walk by them as well? Of course not. The truth is revealed by your actions, not your words. You believe humans are more important than any other organism, but like to pretend otherwise.

I will confess that I may have overstated my case in my previous post. I do respect all life, I simply value human life above all other life. That such a statement is controversial around here boggles the mind. Nevertheless, until your actions match your words, I'll continue to believe we actually agree and I'm simply being more honest. Seriously, how can you eat something that has just as much a right to live as you? I consider all humans to have equal rights, and would never eat one. Yet you claim that animals are equal to humans as you fry them up for dinner?:bugeye: I guess some species are more equal than others, eh?

16. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

These stereotypes hurt my eyes. I think you parents are just making stuff up.

I obviously have never raised a child, I just take care of them and to be honest boys and girls are just as much work, just sometimes in different ways. Like I've never had to climb up a tree to get a girl out (who climbed up there because they thought they would jump from tree to tree like a ninja from the show Naruto, that kid was such a moron) and I've never had to untangle a jump rope out of a boys thigh length hair (double dutch with your hair down, is probably not the best idea).

17. Bells Staff Member

Easier said than done. You have never had to worry and stress for months on end, hoping like hell that your child will be born healthy. You've never sat there awake all night stressing because a blood test showed that your child might have cancer.

It is easier to say that the Earth is populated with 6 billion people and that life is just not that special. Until it is the life of someone you care more for than anyone else, even your own. I can tell you now, I would do anything to ensure the survival of my children, I would even kill if need be. I would never shrug my shoulders and say 'meh, there's 6 billion people, who cares if one (my child) dies'.

I dare you to walk into any cancer ward in any children's hospital and walk up to grieving and terrified parents as they sit there with their very sick and dying children and tell them:

"Life is not special when there is six fucking billion of them." ​

It is easier to talk the talk, and post it on an internet forum, when you've never actually experienced what Mad and others have experienced with "life".

So you'd teach your child that hurting something or someone is wrong by hurting them with a spanking?

I won't bother to point out the obvious irony there.

18. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

:bravo:

19. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Conditioning and stereotypes

I have a daughter. Never wanted kids, but when I was younger and thought that was what I was supposed to do, I always pictured a daughter. Last thing the world needs is another me running around.

I don't know, though. It's hard to imagine a son. Saw a little boy crying the other day; it was an aggressive despair that sounded like he was trying to push his lungs out his throat. Absolutely roaring. That's so strange to me. My daughter rarely cries, and when she does it's pretty easy to get her to tell me what's wrong. And it's pretty easy to calm her. I don't think this is a girl thing, because my cousin's twin daughters can pitch piercing fits and aren't calmed easily.

But it ain't me, either. My kid is, to my observation, statistically deviant in her behavior.

Part of the problem with the consideration is stereotypes. I can imagine how girls are more demanding than boys. After all, we condition them so that they need way too many clothes, makeup, and hairspray. Their behavioral conditioning is more complex and rigorous in order to meet the standard. If, to use a generalization, women are bitches, it is at least in part because we expect them to be, and raise them accordingly.

Seriously, I understand that my daughter is going to be exposed to a lot of stupid ideas. I just don't understand why everyone is rushing to hang them around her neck. Lip gloss, dresses and tights, purses, Hannah Montana ... yet when it's the two of us, she wants to play Star Wars, or have me read Clive Barker and Calvin and Hobbes to her. One of her favorite movies right now is Blue Harvest. She adores the Flaming Lips; her favorite song is either "The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song" or "Free Radicals". I'm going to miss all that terribly once everyone teaches her to be a snooty, whining "proper" girl.

20. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Because we have the ability to protect life..all life on Earth. Are we perfectly, certianly not. We are a work in progress. Even if you ignore the religious arguements, humans are definately special. Our knowledge and our technology give us the ability to protect all life forms...even if they go extinct in the wild. We can bring them back to life. So even if you ignore the humanistic arguements for mankind, humans are undeniably special.

We, humans, just need to use our abilities wisely.

21. Bells Staff Member

I agree with you. When we found out our first child was going to be a boy, we just shrugged and asked if everything was alright. That 18 week scan, after a horror start to the pregnancy, was quite terrifying. But he was thankfully healthy. My father-inlaw was sad that it was not a girl (my sister-inlaw has two boys as well), but we were all happy that he (the baby) was healthy and hoped like hell that he would remain so. When we found out the second baby was also a boy, there was that 2 second where I thought to myself that I was sure it would have been a girl, but then again, I just asked 'is he alright?'. My father-inlaw, by that point, was quite devastated, since on my husband's side of the family, there is only 1 girl and about a dozen boys amongst all the cousin's in my husband's generation. And after the horror birth where I thought he had died during the issues that arose during the inducement.. those 30 or so seconds where they couldn't find his heartbeat.. it was the most terrifying moment of my life and I still remember sobbing and begging them to save him and to forget about me.. just to get him out safely. That was my priority at that time. His sex meant nothing. His life and his health was and always will be the priority.

On my side of the family, girls are in the great majority. Out of about 15 girls, there are only 4 boys (including my two), so I have been around and watched them all grow up from birth to teenage years and beyond. The eldest from the generation that follows my and that of my cousin's, is 24 and the youngest is 2. I've seen the whole span.. Most have been fairly tomboyish and a few have refused to even look at what are considered girl's toys or clothes. One in particular, however, is really into the whole pink and girly thing, with ribbons, etc, in her hair since she could first talk and tell people what she wanted.. she had the whole 'I'm a princess' thing going on. Drove her parents up the wall as their first daughter had been down to earth and never into that kind of thing.

I think it depends on the child. Some girls are just as independent. My two are independent and will think nothing of tearing off at a park or playground. They are usually reminded of our presence when we come thundering after them to stop them going the wrong way (the car park or road). But there have also been occasions where they will stick close and want to spend time with us when we are out.

I think it depends a lot on how they are treated and raised. If you treat them as being different (ie. boys will only ever play with "boy toys" and girls only with "girly toys"), then they will be different. Having said that, you can't force them into any mould. My sister inlaw found that out the amusing way when her two sons were very little. She had banned all forms of gun toys or books and movies, because she didn't want her son's to be into those kinds of toys. She realised the battle was lost when her then 3 year old son nibbled a piece of toast into the shape of a gun and made gun noises while pointing it in her direction. But they also play with their doll's house and with dolls (war games.. heh)..

I think it's best to just let children be children and play without trying to force them into their sexual roles. Society will do that to them when they get older. My sons play with a doll I had as a child and kept. The eldest (3 year old) makes it sit down on a potty and makes farting noises. *Sigh* Children are feral.:bawl:

I just find the whole stereotyping of children's toys, especially, to be silly in a way. Even the way it is all set out in the stores. My eldest has a purple and pink dinosaur that my husband's aunt gave us when he was 8 months old. He adores that thing to death. Sleeps with it every night, even now. One of his first words was "Ursulla", the name of his dinosaur. When my husband's best friend found out, he was horrified, because *gasp", it's pink.. 'we're making him gay'.. He now has two sons and the funny thing when we go to their house is the distinct effort they have made to ensure all of their son's toys are "boys toys", where for their kid's birthday, they don't just blow up every balloon from the pack, they make sure they take out all of the pink one's, just in case. For our kid's birthdays, we literally blew up every balloon and the kids were allowed to play with all the coloured balloons. Even the pink ones. My eldest loved Dora, so my parents gave him a Dora ride on push-a-long toy, that was pink. He had a ball with it for 2 years. It was sadly lost in the mudslide. He didn't care that it was pink and supposedly girly. To him it was a toy that he had fun playing with. My husband's best friend thought it was a bad idea.. because.. well.. it's girly coloured.

I find that whole attitude irritating. The difference between our kids and his kids is that ours aren't whiny and can play and imagine all sorts of things while playing with anything. His children are stifled in what and how they play. When they came over and saw a doll, they didn't know what to do with it.. they couldn't think of anything to do with it.. And that's kind of sad to me. They could have used it as my 2 year old does, as a mountain to drive his little cars on. But they had never been allowed to play with dolls, so they couldn't imagine anything to do with the doll.

It's sad to think that the sexual stereotyping has started so early for them. So for their eldest's recent birthday, we gave him a Dorothy the Dinosaur plush toy, along with a tea set so that he can have rose tea with it because he adores The Wiggles (was my husband's idea and he went out and bought it himself). I don't think his father has forgiven us for it yet because the boy now sits down and has tea with Dorothy every afternoon.

22. takandjive Killer Queen Registered Senior Member

Bells, I was very anti-spanking until my niece was born. I've come to the conclusion now that it really depends on the child. She's a smart kid, but I have NEVER seen someone so lacking empathy for animals. She would throw her weight on the cat and grab and shake my mom's dog as hard as she could. Everyone in our family was horrified because her mother and father are very gentle people. We know my SIL (her mom) was able to listen to logic and a gentle kid because we've known her a long time, since she was a little girl. My brothers and I just never had to be spanked. We could always have it explained that it hurt terribly or that the animals wouldn't like us, and we'd stop. My niece would not.

This sounds very cruel, but when she was about two and a half, she was bullying another child and pushed him down. Her mother grabbed her by the arm after telling her over and over, time after time, pushing is wrong. She spanked her. A year later, she has not pushed again. Her grandma (my mom) also spanked her after hurting the dog. Hasn't happened since. I don't want to do that, and some kids are psychologically sensitive and you can't do that. Some are monsters until you teach them that there's a price to pay. She's one of those kids. This kid would bully your kid if she hadn't learned she could get a tap on the bum that hurts. Taking away things or talking doesn't work for everyone, but it does work for most.

I totally understand where you're coming from. I just think some things, like really hurting an animal after you've been told, are spanking offenses.

23. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

NO! Give em a cookie. Teach them love when they do bad things by rewarding them.

Kidding.

I agree that physical punishment in certain cases is probably a good idea.

I had a friend who had a friend (really!) who refused to do any spanking or harsh discipline to her child, and it apparently walked all over her.

Some parents resort to corporal punishment in petty ways, but if it really is needed, children generally come to respect the threat of a spanking. My brother and I usually figured out what (not) to do when we heard the wooden spoon being pulled out of the utensil holder in the kitchen! Often we only had to hear it to get the message.

Later in life, being forced to stay in our rooms or having something like the Nintendo taken away was generally the more effective punishment.