Why I didnt' want a baby girl

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by mikenostic, Apr 30, 2009.

1. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

But did you ever play with trucks/G.I. Joes/Transformers, etc. as well as dolls?
    I never really played with the dolls that I had. They were more of a display for me. Weird huh? A 4-5 year old boy with that mentality(and yes, I'm straight)? Now my boys toys were the ones that I played with.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Aerika Registered Senior Member

Every rose has it's thorn. It's not about gender, it's about individuality. The human race is a very diverse group of individuals. And anecdotal evidence can be presented to suggest either gender is harder on a parent.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. takandjive Killer Queen Registered Senior Member

My parents were worried I was a lesbian because I played with Star Trek toys, trucks, etc. NEVER liked baby dolls.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. tuberculatious Banned Banned

girls are the best to raise.

8. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Well, you do think like a guy (not complaining).

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Bells Staff Member

I had all sorts of 'boy toys' when I was little. And a few dolls actually. I had cars, robots, and the little toy soldiers.. I had heaps of those. I used to line them up and roll marbles at them and play war-games with my cousins. I had heaps of Lego stuff if I recall correctly. I had toy guns, and stuff too. An assortment really. But the toy soldiers I think I had hundreds of them. All kept in a big bucket.

I think the truly girly toys I had were some dolls, a little toy pram thing and a tea set. My mother in law gave my son's a tea set last year and god they had a ball with it.. they liked sitting down and sipping water and eating biscuits and fruit (was a great way to get them to drink water on hot days.. especially the eldest who only ever wants to drink milk).. That was unfortunately lost in the mud slide. Haven't been able to find one like it since, which is a shame.

I actually prefer giving them toys that they can make and build stuff with. Lots of blocks, duplo and some Lego (which they love). I like them being able to use their imagination to make stuff instead of giving them ready made toys where they don't need to imagine what it is or could be. They have lots of little cars and stuff like that, but I've noticed they tend to spend a lot more time building and making up objects with their blocks and anything they can find and I think that's great. They use the dolls as bridges or roads or jam it under their road rug to make hills.

If I had a girl, she would probably have the same toys my son's are given. I don't favour one sex over the other when it comes to toys.

But the whole "I want a son and not a girl or vice versa", I don't get that to be honest.:shrug: Sure, you might hope for one particular sex for balancing out or whatever, but the whole paranoia of 'I must have a boy or girl' thing, I don't understand.

10. takandjive Killer Queen Registered Senior Member

See, I don't see it. I love kittens and rainbows and baking.

11. Gustav Banned Banned

sick sick world
    a preference, be it individual or cultural, is plain and simple pathology

oh
    girls are better
    they are...different

12. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

I agree people shouldn't raise their daughters to be high maintenance and ruled by their emotions.

I occasionally played nurturing games when given a baby doll, but I was more into weird things like pretending to do surgery on them.

Or I would make complicated Lego structures, then have my dolls go 'mountain climbing' on them.

13. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Yup. She acts like it's a terrible blow. It's pretty sick how on one hand, there are kids out there with serious illnesses and disabilities, on the other, she's having a normal healthy one and she acts like it's a terrible syndrome.

14. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

I don't have kids, by I do take care of a lot of other people's kids. I haven't really noticed that big of a difference, except the girls tend to play less dangerous games, but other than every kid has different interests and temperments. I have no gender preferences as of right now. I could have just as much fun with a girl as I could with a boy.

15. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Same here.

Though I would, against my better nature, be extremely disappointed if my daughter was a "girly girl" and wanted to dress up as a princess and all that.

16. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

If there is any fickleness, difficulty, or high maintenance in my daughter, the fault can be laid firmly at Daddy's door. She's his little princess, not mine. She plays him and its taken over a decade for him to figure it out.

Kids get away with what they can, male or female.

17. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

same for sons.

And I have no problem with my kids being emotional. I'm raising children, not robots.

18. takandjive Killer Queen Registered Senior Member

Raising robots would be pretty fun though.

19. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I'd rather raise a Mikenostic than Spock.

20. takandjive Killer Queen Registered Senior Member

HAHAHAHA! You could take Mike to raise. I could bring him to you!

21. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Yeah, dad's are NOTORIOUS for spoiling their daughters. While I'll ensure my children get everything they need, any daddy's girl will not be spoiled.
    I can't stand bratty female behavior as it is, so I'll ensure my daughter doesn't grow up to be one.

Yes, yes they do. I'm sure all of us did the same thing we did when we were children.

22. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

I was actually a very well behaved kid. I was a bit mischeivous and curious but so were most of the other children.

You'll have to come get me first!

23. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

As long as my child was healthy, that would be all I'd ever ask for. Raising either a boy or girl, to me, is about the same thing and loving them is the best thing to do. I have no children but envy those who do now that I'm very old.