Why I cannot find a job in chemistry field?

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by ybk, Jul 13, 2014.

1. ybk Registered Member

Ive graduated from a bachelor degree in chemistry from an ordinary university in Turkey in 2012. So i live in a city which has low chemical company portfolio.
    But I can go another big cities which are higher chemical company profiles and job opportunities and so on.
    And I did some job interviews on chemical companies that they are in polymer, water treatment station, pharmaceutical, mining and also painting. But nowhere called me after that. I did as best as I can in these interviews. Only i couldnt answer to questions about chemical structure and some chemical equipments.I think that doesnt matter. So , whats the wrong about me? Why they wont call me again? and to say "yes, we accept you". There are 2 years already passed from my graduation.
    I would like to do process chemistry career rather than other routine analysis jobs currently in chemistry field as I mentioned of this info.
    But no process chemist nor chemist job that i cant find. I dont know why but I am seeking to educate myself how other chemists find jobs.
    Now I do a carrying job(coolie)in a glassware storage , i am carrying chairs, tables, basins and other glassware plastics from storage to truck.
    This job is not for my degree, but i do it for money.
    So whats the interview success methods that you have already did before and accepted by boss? Tell me...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

What you should do is take any job that utilizes your chemical degree, even if it is just routine analysis. This will get you in the door and then you can transfer to a job more to your liking after a year or 2 in the job. It sounds like you are looking for a job where the competition will have experience.

Before interviewing look at the website of the company and make sure you are familiar with what they make and their processes. It is always a big plus to a hiring manager if it doesn't seem like they are just one of the companies on a list.

Good luck.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Well, being out of school for two years is a big strike against you. Employers want people with fresh skills, so they would hire a new grad rather than you. An employer would probably view your skills as stale. So if I were you, I’d go back to school for an advanced degree, join and become active in professional associations, and you need to learn how to market yourself. You need to be able to sell your skills. You need something that makes you standout. What is your “value statement”? What value are you going to be able to bring to a prospective employer? If an employer asked you why he/she should hire you, you need to be able to answer that question.

Use the professional associations to make contacts inside companies you might want to work for. Volunteer for internships. You need to learn as much as possible about the firms you want to work for. Remember, it isn’t’ about what you want. It is about what you can offer the firm. You need to know your strengths and weaknesses. Work on your weaknesses. If you have trouble with interpersonal skills, you might want to take a Dale Carnegie class or something similar.

http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs...ements-of-a-great-personal-branding-statement

Below is an article listing the five key features of a successful brand. Instead of marketing an inanimate product, you are marketing yourself.

http://www.gtms-inc.com/Successful-Branding-5-Key-Elements-and-1-Mantra_ep_141.html

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ybk Registered Member

thanks for your answer.
    I think I can add another reason to yours for why I can't find a job in chemistry:
    Because competition is very high in here in chemistry field.
    There are almost 80 universities have 4 year and 2 year chemistry classes plus chemical engineering . It results thousands have their diploma every year or semester and they look for a job. On the other hand ; chemistry jobs are very few, rarely appears in the market. So, the chance for me is %1-%5. In my city you can only see maximum 3 or 4 chemist jobs in a year on internet.
    Thats ridiculous.
    I'm curious about over there is the same? Are there too much universities with lots of chemistry departments in USA or Canada? And majority of the chemistry graduates hard to find a job?? Does it similar to here?

8. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Yeah, if there are few jobs and many graduates, that makes it very difficult. You might want to call a few foriegn embassies. Ask them about job opportunities in their countries. They can give you information, requirements, and immigration information.

You might want to look at a related field in which you can build upon your chemistry background. This is commonplace in the US, and it's relatively easy. The career ladder in the US is not as stovepiped as it is in some countries like India.