Why/How do people develop allergies?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by PsychoTropicPuppy, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

It would be interesting to study this.

You've merely swapped one set of "authority figures" for another. And your new set has less rigour in its claims.

So why do you believe Gerson? Or anyone else for that matter?

Link please.
    You did say "I could send you mountains of evidence, studies, research, and testimony to back up any claim I've made here".

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

But this is not a controlled experiment, so it's not science. No one is monitoring this rigorously. When people go on diets it's because they're in a mood to change their life. They usually make several other changes at the same time, not things you or anyone close to him would notice because you're not looking for them. Without a neutral observer you have no way of knowing whether his health improved because of the diet or because of something else he did that neither of you even realizes. I have spent three decades with a wife who has been on more diets than I can count, so I know whereof I speak.

This is what distinguishes science from just "fooling around and hoping it works."
    Cancer is (in the majority of cases) a fatal disease. The reason they call people who have lived for five years "survivors" is that they're not especially optimistic that they'll last another five years. So signing up for a risky treatment is just a gamble, a matter of personal choice: Sure, the treatment might kill me, but if it doesn't, I might live longer than I will otherwise.

But the risk must come with a potential benefit, or else it's stupid to take it. The treatment in question must have some evidence of potentially fighting the cancer--scientific evidence, not the kind of majestic arm-waving evidence you're talking about with your brother's diet.
    This isn't the Soviet Union. Big Business may have a lot of power, but there are always voices speaking out freely in opposition. Which respected scientists have lined up on his side?
    What a strange question to ask on a science board! We're not supposed to jump to conclusions, we're supposed to examine the evidence.

Be a proper scientist and start with Occam's Razor, one of the cornerstones of the scientific method: Test the simplest solutions first. The simplest solution to this question is that the treatment did indeed kill the patient. This does not mean that it is the correct answer, it just means that it's the quickest and easiest to test. If it's the wrong answer you'll know quickly, and then you can spend more time testing the complicated answer. But if you start with the complicated answer first, it could take years to discover that it's wrong, and you've wasted all that time.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. WillNever Valued Senior Member

Coconut oil is TERRIBLE for you. It's one of the worst oils there are. It's almost all saturated fat with almost no mono/poly unsaturated fats. Ideally, you would never use coconut oil in cooking.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. WillNever Valued Senior Member

Statistically speaking, "developed" countries including the USA have way higher life expectancies than underdeveloped countries. Get a clue, you pseudoscientific dip. You should quit spamming your links to scam sites too. Your posts resemble infomercials.

8. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

I'm wheat intolerant, but I certainly didn't have an overly sanitized upbringing. I'm very well acquainted with muck

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. matthew809 Registered Senior Member

I trust unbiased biochemists and research first, you trust invested politicians and press releases first.

I trust that the human body has great potential to heal itself(and prevent disease) when given proper nutrition, and when unburdened from toxicity. That's all that Gerson's methods do. It clears the body of debilitating toxins, and nourishes the body with nutrition, so that the body can then be fully functional to fight off the cancer. For example- If a piece of broccoli requires, lets say calcium, in order to fulfill the request of it's DNA but there's no calcium in the soil, this broccoli plant might still grow but it will not be fully functional. It's calcium deficiency might affect it's ability to withstand too much sun or something. The same is true with the human body- it requires certain things in order to function properly. That is the goal of my diet- to supply my body with those things, and to keep out the things which hinder my body's functions.

I'm constantly changing and refining my diet as I gather new info. If you have any suggestions I'd appreciate it.

That's weird. I wonder how it is that mankind has been able to withstand the harmful effects of saturated fat all these millions of years.

Here's a link I'm sure you'll read:
    http://www.westonaprice.org/know-your-fats/526-skinny-on-fats.html

Lets take it down a notch because I didn't come here to battle. I realize that we have a higher life expectancy than underdeveloped countries. I don't understand what that has to do with my diet though.
    What site do you think is a scam?

10. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Hmm, slight error there.
    "Unbiased" chemists and research?
    Give me an example of "invested politicians and press releases" that I trust please.

Apart from killing people with his treatment, you mean?

I'll repeat this, since you appear to have ignored it:
    Or are you now backing down from your claim?

11. matthew809 Registered Senior Member

I was making a general statement about your apparent blind trust in official authority figures. I didn't necessarily mean it literally.

I would be glad to give you a link. Is there something specific you had in mind about my diet?

12. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

So you were guessing? And getting it wrong.

Which bit of YOUR OWN POST did you miss?

13. matthew809 Registered Senior Member

14. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

That would seem to be implied in my wording "link please".

No, I want his research.

I have, but I assumed that when you wrote
    you were being honest.

Ah, I see. You weren't being honest.
    His book, and his site do NOT show the research (either procedures or methods), merely his conclusions.
    Do wish to retract your claim?
    Have you actually read his research or merely the conclusions he came to based on research that he will not let accredited institutions have access to?

15. matthew809 Registered Senior Member

You're right. Upon closer inspection, everything can be proven insufficient of evidence and proof. Weston Price could have made it all up. Maybe the fact that my allergies went away is all coincidence too. And the fact that I haven't gotten sick this year for the first time, and the fact that I don't get headaches anymore, and the fact that I no longer get acid reflux or indigestion or diarrhea(what used to be a common occurrence for me), or the fact that my bowel movements are regular and complete and a thing to behold, or that fact that I no longer get sunburned, or the fact that my skin has improved and I no longer get heat rashes on my back or elsewhere while working and sweating all day, or the fact that I no longer get those little random ingrown hair bumps on my forearms, or the fact that I have so much more energy now than I used to...

Maybe we're all lying to you, to get you to invest in coconut oil and organic farming....maybe it's all just a conspiracy.

But you have to draw the line somewhere. You keep waiting for the perfect evidence. I'll keep being healthy.

16. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

And you don't think that's at least a little dishonest? What's the point in saying you "could" if you have no intention of actually doing so? That's as useful as me claiming I could jump from here to the Moon, but I don't feel like doing it whenever anyone asks me to prove it. Would you believe me?
    You're trolling.
    Edit: editing your post, however quickly, didn't stop my quote showing your admission of dishonesty.

Untrue.

The fact that he will not publish his research or let others check his figures tends to lend some weight to that, doesn't it?

And again you mistake my intent. I'm not after perfect evidence, merely reliable evidence.

17. matthew809 Registered Senior Member

Wow you are quick! I'm impressed.

Ok I give in. You're right. I don't have the evidence. I'll stop trolling here.

18. WillNever Valued Senior Member

Excessive sat. fat intake has the same effects on people that it always has had. Recently, longer lifespans and increased inactivity exacerbated some of the results. Duh.

I have never had allergies, haven't ran a fever in years, almost never get headaches, never have GERD, diarrhea, indigestion, irregular BMs, rashes, sunburn, or ingrown hair bumps, I weigh just 160 lbs at 6'0", and I don't subscribe to any of that idiotic nonsense you have posted. However, I am a nurse, so I know pretty well what is necessary to keep healthy. Perhaps you would benefit from some re-education.

See ya fatboy.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010