Why girls avoid science and math?

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by Plazma Inferno!, Sep 8, 2008.

1. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

Is it possible stuff like this depends entirely upon the individual? This right-brained and left-brained theory is nonsense. It fits just like one fits their zodiac sign or horoscope, you fit because you are looking for ways to make you fit. Because no one fits all of the specifications perfectly. You see what you want to see. There aren't really any hurdles women have to jump over to pursue a career in math or physical sciences, but there are social stigmas attached to the sexes that are taught at very young ages. For women who are interested in math and physical sciences they have to be passionate enough to continue to pursue it, when they will be one of the only girls in the class and have to deal with what their friends and family will think of them. Usually something that most men don't have to deal with, until you get to places like cosmology schools or men who want to get into fashion. Unfortunately the stigma for men in these professions is even harsher than it is on women taking math classes.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Exactly. I get so sick of hearing how a woman who is anything other than hypersocial, obsessed with babies, spatially inept and cries when empathizing with her poor best friend who just broke a nail, is unfeminine and must have a hormonal problem. In real life women are not divided into normal females and over-testosteroned androgynes who are good at maths.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Letticia Registered Senior Member

I think you meant "cosmetology" school! I don't think there a stigma against men in cosmology.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. draqon Banned Banned

In my engineering class there are on average between 0-3 girls in a class of 20-25 guys.

8. draqon Banned Banned

lol

can't even spell cosmetology correct. Astrophysics/cosmology.

9. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

Oops you're right. I messed up. Silly me.

10. s0meguy Worship me or suffer eternally Valued Senior Member

why do people have to pretend that men and women in general are exactly the same, besides reproductive organs? they aren't.

do you also think that men being heavier than women, having much larger muscles, has to do with social conditioning too? no, men and women have evolved to suit certain functions. and that includes their brains: and that includes their interests and capabilities. Many differences in brains between men and women have been documented.

how would you explain the fact that the psychology branch of my university is dominated by women, while there absolutely is no stigma against men becoming psychologists?

11. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Ok, ok, women are not geared towards any type of intelligence.

Satisfied?
    PC feminists, I swear...

12. iceaura Valued Senior Member

That's not the problem. The problem is that people think they know what the differences are, when they don't. And then they excuse various bad arrangements that hurt people, because they think they are simply inevitable results of biologically enforced tendencies.

Sure you find brain differences. But what do they mean?

It's possible that women are no good at math, in general. But no one knows whether or not that is so. The exceptions are numerous, the counter-evidence pervasive, the societal factors overwhelming, the obvious self-perpetuation of male dominance undeniable. It is not the way to bet.

13. Dr Mabuse Percipient Thaumaturgist Registered Senior Member

Seriously. You know you're 'against the wind' on this one right?

14. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Ya, they are only tendencies and not that pronounced, but they do exist.

15. jb21 Registered Member

if you try to find out why you as men are interested to do maths or other sciences fields than you would got the same answer that apply on both, you want to say being smarter when you dont get to the cause to observe the effects, and keep convinced that it is a brain issue as to say that you are not envolved on that issue either

men go for sciences because they feel real only when they are in touch with reality and seek in themselves a ground of that reality
    women dont go for that because they feel real already within themselves but seek in reality a ground

16. Diode-Man Awesome User Title Registered Senior Member

I don't think women are as interested in the absolutes of reality. They are more interested in feelings and senses.

Its gotta be in the DNA coding. :shrug:

17. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

No, women are often interested in the absolutes of reality, but in a different way to men, in general men are more abstract about it whereas women are more interested in how things affect people....Just a generalization though. But it's there.

18. jb21 Registered Member

women are not interested in feelings in general, they are interested in a positive ground to their own feelings of being real, that is why they are usually attached to things and less religious than men that tend to imagine greatness of realities means rejecting easily their own selves being their means