Why flat earth?

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by Tralay, Jul 24, 2017.

1. exchemist Valued Senior Member

YES!! Doesn't he even have saddles on which he claims early man rode these dinosaurs? Just like The Flintstones?

Yabbadabbadoo.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Gawdzilla Sama Valued Senior Member

Yep, that's the audience he panders to. Makes a living ala P.T. Barnum.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Write4U Valued Senior Member

That may well be the case.
    As Anil Seth says "our hallucination (mental guessing) of what's there comes as much, if not more from inside the brain's cognitive region as from external information."
    IOW the brain compares what we perceive with what we already know. If we didn't know that the earth is round, then our personal observation of "flatness", agrees with what we know and the earth is "flat".

Obviously , these people have not seen pictures of the earth as taken from space, which gives us the knowledge that the earth is visibly circular. If we add the observation from space that the earth is round even when taken from all possible angles, only then can the mind recognize and project the earth as a spherical object.

It comes down to the ability for the cognitive part (I call it the mirror neural system) to "imagine" a spherical earth, rather than a flat circular plane.

I don't think a flat earther will say that the earth is flat square or a triangle. Perhaps starting with the question if the flat earth is circular (round) or a square, might be helpful to the cognitive ability of the brain to visualize a spherical (round from every angle)) earth.

Xelasnave.1947 likes this.
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. river

Because they don't understand that no ocean ship has fallen of the edge .

8. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Isn't that proof that the earth is infinitely flat, if it were round you'd have to sail upside -down..

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Duuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhh......

9. Seattle Valued Senior Member

If it were infinity flat no one would have sailed around the world.

10. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

They could have sailed in a big, flat circle!

Seattle likes this.
  11. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

12. Seattle Valued Senior Member

The new, politically correct name is the "Flat Disc Society".

Write4U likes this.
  13. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

The Earth is flat just like they say and its that way so God can keep an eye on everyone from heaven ... There is no where to hide...its like a dust bin lid so it can be lifted up and just like trash humans can be dropped in and down to hell under the disk.
    Alex

14. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Also known as "everything is going down the tubes". But I have never seen a tube big enough..

15. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I think they are trolling.

16. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

There was a movie, fantasy, where they lived on a flat planet.
    Their "scientists" or priests were preparing to send someone over the edge to determine the sex of the Turtle who carried their world thru space.
    I think it was full of satire but I can't remember.
    Alex

17. Write4U Valued Senior Member

It was the movie; "The Gods must be Crazy". It was a story of a coca cola bottle thrown from a plane in an elevated plateau area where the people had never seen a glass bottle. They tried to use it as a roller and for several other purposes, but because there was only one bottle, the people started fighting over who should own this gift from the gods.

Eventually the tribe's leader decided that it was an evil object and went to the "edge ofthe world", a cliff overlooking an eternal mist, and threw the bottle back to the gods who had sent it in the first place.

18. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

No that's not it..I remember that one..
    The one I was thinking about was a kids fantasy style.
    Alex

19. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

There was a huge waterfall at the edge of the world so it must have been shot on location. Wink.
    Alex

20. Write4U Valued Senior Member

OK, I just remembered that movie, cause it was so revealing about "innocent" beliefs of isolated societies.

21. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

A trip to the Salt Flats is an interesting experience.

The Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah cover over 30,000 acres (a bit less than 200 square miles).

They are the result of an inland sea or large lake, which evaporated, leaving an area conforming to the curvature of the almost spherical Earth.

When standing in the middle of the flats, you can see that the horizon is below you in every direction.

While the view from the deck of a ship on the ocean is similar, it is not as convincing due to the motion of the ship & the waves which prevent the ocean from seeming as smooth as the salt flats.

Gawdzilla Sama likes this.
  22. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

How did evolution get involved in a Flat Earth discussion?

It should be noted that proofs are arguments like those provided by Euclid relating to Plane Geometry.

In science we can at best hope for is the most plausible known explanation for the facts, which might be replaced by some better explanation in the future..

From Tralay Post 53
    First consider what might be called the facts of evolution.

There are series of related fossils. Examples: Eohippus to modern horse & early primates to modern man.

Those facts are very well explained by Darwinian evolution.​

Those refuting Darwinian evolution need to provide an alternative explanation which seems like an improvement on Darwin’s explanation. Such as explanation could be called Creationist Evolution or Alan Smithee's Evolution.