Why fix something’ that aint’ broken?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Joker?, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Joker? Registered Senior Member

As I wander through pages and pages of my-space like layouts I can only wonder:
    Has this site become a ‘socializing’ network rather than a center for intellectual debates?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It's trying to be. I'm boycotting them.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Joker? Registered Senior Member

Sci-forums has become an ignominious site. I find no nerd appeal here. I found it a bit fun to be an anonymous poster, however this surge in ‘friends’ and ‘page posters’ resembles a popularity contest. This site lacks originality and is morally ambivalent. I say pick a side any side, are you or are you not a ‘social networking’ site? Maybe SciForums should be renamed ‘Science Social Networking’ (SSN).

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

well..since you are referring to my title...do you have a problem with people being friends? Lots of science gets discussed here...but not every thread has to be about black holes...Judge much?

8. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

Depends on the particular subfora you visit.
    You're right though, overall, statistically the heaviest activity tends to be in the more 'chatty' areas...
    I think this trend speaks more about the kinds of posters than about the site per se...

Thankfully.

The last thing we need is some sort of ideological agenda....

9. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

I don't think the site itself is attempting to be Facebook, but some members would have it that way.

10. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

That's because "tabloid" threads can be easily responded to by anyone..not everyone on the board is an academic.

You put 100 scientists in a room..do you think all of them will discuss only science? Hell no...some will discuss their personal issues, or sports or whatever.

11. leopold Valued Senior Member

i see nothing wrong with "social networking" as long as it is carried out in the "free thoughts" or "about the members" forums.
    a posters profile page gives an additional place for it.

12. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

So why haven't you started any serious intellectual discussions instead of this lame excuse for a thread? :shrug:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. Manimammal Death from the day I was born. Registered Senior Member

we all think we are intellectuals, but we just need each other as an outlet to soothe the fact that we are useless percievers.

love you sciforums...