Why don't people eat right and exercise?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by desi, Mar 15, 2010.

1. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

How about if I eat what I want and then kill myself if I end up lingering?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

Modern living makes it difficult to find time

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Pinwheel Banned Banned

Really? What are you doing all the time?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

I too was a supporter of Dr Kevorkian.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Yeah, I would say that you should have that right. The trick is that I do eat what I want, I have merely chosen to eat good stuff and for the most part avoid eating the bad stuff.

For me, it is a matter of extending my quality of life to the limits of my personal genetic capacity. I do science, so I use that in making my choices, and I enjoy the high quality of life that I have from making these choices as I have.

8. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

I must add that I consider my daily exercise regimen to be my principle health care plan. My health care insurance is the back - up plan.

Also note this: While I do believe that it is your right to kill yourself with your choice in diet or sedentary lifestyle, I do not think that it is my responsibility to pay for your health insurance in that case. In fact, I do not want to be on the same insurance plan as you if you are going to do that. Or if you smoke or are an IV drug user etc. You should pay your own way if you are going to chump yourself by way of self care. "Pay to play."

9. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

No prob, Stoniphi. I'll pay for my own insulin when the shit ton of red bull I drink finally gives me diabetes.

10. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

You're on! (Doesn't that come in 'sugar free' yet?)

11. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

It does, but that crap has yet worse stuff in it. Aspartame. My friend got addicted to that by accident via a chewing gum she routinely chewed, gave the shit up for Lent, had severe withdrawal effects including migraine and an epileptic seizure.

12. dixonmassey Valued Senior Member

First, only wealthy and upper middle class can afford reasonably fresh, chemicals etc. free food. Good high quality food is a luxury few on the lower social perches would ever taste. The only option for majority to get "good" food is to grow it. Unfortunately, people are way too removed from the land and nature even to consider it, besides it involves owning land i.e. lots of $.

Have you been to a ghetto grocery store? Prices are outrageous (way more than much more affluent suburban crowd pays) choices are very limited. Junk is pretty much the only affordable option. Everything else is a "delicatessen". Exercising in in human unfriendly towns, cities and rural areas built to accommodate cars is mighty dangerous and simply stupid (even in zero crime areas). Property laws effectively lock out less financially blessed crowds on the streets using fences and "No Trespassing" signs. Only in America you can feel claustrophobic in the midst of Great Plains somewhere in Kansas. Besides, food high in fats and sugar is a mild stimulant and antidepressant. Sugars&fats become more addictive if mixed with chemical additives (almost 1000 !!!) generously used by agro -junk food industrial complex in the mere mortal foods.

To summarize why people don't do it:

1) It's expensive, prohibitively expensive
    2) People are removed from land, nature and each other
    3) Criminally insane urban & rural design
    4) Property laws making all kinds of spaces unavailable for the use by less financially blessed crowds. It makes you claustrophobic. Only in America one could find a sign like this along Ohio River way far away from ports etc. "State Property, No Trespassing"
    5) It's mildly addictive antidepressant and stimulant. The poorer you are, the lower is your perch the more drugs and stimulants you need to carry you through your obvious failure to reach a higher perch.
    6) It takes some time and lot's of junk food to recuperate from exhausting and frequently mentally&physically unhealthy wage jobs. Metro-sexual types who eat "right" & exercise simply don't understand that some wage jobs are life & energy & health drains, after work exercise and cooking healthy is not an option you are so spent.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  13. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

what!? Are you saying a doctor told her that she had seizures because she quit chewing gum with aspartame in it?

14. dixonmassey Valued Senior Member

Aspartame can cause seizures among other things.

15. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

yes, it can cause it. Not using it anymore can cause it??

16. dixonmassey Valued Senior Member

It's really impossible to say whether over the lent seizures were caused by the built up aspartame or by withdrawal from it.

17. Pinwheel Banned Banned

Interesting summary dixonmassey. But in some cases, how expensive is a treadmill or exercise bike?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  18. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

By "avoid eating the bad stuff" you mean you just don't like stuff that is unhealthy for you? Or you just choose not to eat stuff that is bad for you?

19. Ganymede Valued Senior Member

The reason why people don't workout is simple, they don't realize how easy it is to get into great physical shape. 30 minutes of weight training 4 days week is all it takes. All you have to do is simple push and pulling exercises to establish a solid core. As for diet, 99.9% of diets are gimmicks to sell you stuff you don't need. All one has to do is eat whole organic foods, and you don't have to count calories.

20. kurros Registered Senior Member

Probably many people consider that a lot of effort.

21. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

I don't eat stuff that is bad for me or that I have a bad reaction to. If I don't eat it at all, I neither like or dislike it, I just don't eat it.

22. nirakar ( i ^ i ) Registered Senior Member

The bell curve of instincts is optimized to deal the environment and conditions in which humans evolved. These times in the modern world create very different conditions than what people evolved in. It used to be that any calorie consumed was a good calorie and energy conserved was good unless you were a youth.

Sugar, fat and salt were hard to come by so instinctually most humans like these things more than is healthy for a modern society. I the natural word being under stress and being forced to exercise more than normal go together so stuffing your face while under stress when given the opportunity might have been a sensible instinct.

Parents sometimes give food as rewards or to calm children which can set up some bad emotional patterns. In the traditional world parents could not rely on food as much to reward or calm children.

Cars, TVs, telephones, video games, computers, books, and the reduction in comfort that we have outside our house because our towns are filled with strangers rather than members of our tribe, are all things that reduce the level of activity that most people get.

We all know what we should be doing but do we do it. Some people eat to much. Others snap at their spouses and say cruel things that they don't even believe. Some people spend money that they can't afford to spend. Using our knowledge and will power to override our instincts and our conditioning/emotional programming is not so easy; but why is this hard?

My guess is that most of what we think is knowledge is just bullshit fad of the day culture. If our instinct says don't bleed me but the 1850s doctor wants to bleed you to heal your sickness instinct is correct and so called knowledge is wrong. Our system does not make it easy for our belief systems and conscious mind to override our unconscious system because throughout most of human history our unconscious system was more correct about how to survive and procreate than our belief systems were.

23. superstring01 Moderator

Exercise does not just "prolonge" life, it extends ones "good" years, reduces many, MANY miseries (in even the shortest life) and increases one's ability to enjoy a whole host of "other" activities, including the occasional over-eating. While the obvious quantitative increase cannot be ignored (nor should it), the glaring fact is that there is an exponential qualitative increase throughout life as well. Mood, stamina, internal health. You name it. All of the "quality" stuff improves too. So, even if I only live for another five years (till 40), I'll still continue exercising until my dying day. First, it's just fun. Second, my mood improves. Third, I don't get winded like other fatties when I do all sorts of other fun stuff.

~String