Why don't people eat right and exercise?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by desi, Mar 15, 2010.

1. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

@Pinwheel: I couldn't really agree with that. I love exercise in the here and now moment. I like the feeling of hefting something heavy over my head.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sandy Banned Banned

I have to disagree with that. I have a lot of fat friends. They are mostly brilliant and not lazy. They just don't care. They are fat and happy and laugh at me when I eat shredded wheat ("cardboard") for breakfast. I think we Americans love our food and most (70%?) have given up the battle.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Some people just have a shit metabolism. I know a girl who does martial arts, various forms of dance including ballet, and plays football. She's still fat.

Yay for being a lil skinny mutant, like me

My body fat level stays about 17% when I'm SEDENTARY. O_O

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Nope. There have been many studies (I'm sure you can find them with a little googling) showing that medical doctors are just as bad about not getting exercise and eating badly as everyone else. Clearly eduction is not the answer.

8. jayleew Who Cares Valued Senior Member

Some good reasons everyone else put out:
    Laziness
    Free Time
    Genetics (metabolism)
    Higher Cost (little or no perservatives equates to less supply)
    Addiction
    Lack Parental Guidance
    This probably is the best solution. With encouragement and support any problem a child has can be dealt with and habits that last are best established at younger ages.

9. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

My mother always tried to get me to eat right. No use. I got addicted to strong tasting foods, and refused to eat anything else.

10. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

I would say that seeing into the future is indeed part of it. I have a couple of good friends in their mid - 90's. While they are slowing down now, they have always been active and taken care of themselves. Both outlasted sedentary wives by decades.

When I was a puppy, I loved to watch Jack Lalane. He was inspirational. Now at 94, he is still inspirational. Helio Gracie was always one of my heroes too - in the ring doing Jujitsu the day before he died at 93, fit as a fiddle until then. If I am so lucky as to hit my 90's, I hope to be in as good a condition as those fine folks. That is how I see the future, and why I work out like a madman now - I love being fit, even if I am usually sore.

11. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

I love that post. As I sit here reading this I had a good laugh because I am sore all over from edging my driveway with a shovel. I used muscles that had been unused form a long time and as I was doing it I knew it was going to hurt later and now while I sit here sore and exhausted I feel good for having done it.

12. Cellar_Door Whose Worth's unknown Registered Senior Member

We're all going to die painfully and alone anyway. Life is too short to eat mediocre food and exercise for the sake of exercising.

13. draqon Banned Banned

we don't die alone. Dying is a passage are is both helped and guarded by both sides, in life and not.

14. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Agreed.

Who wants to live in a sterile bubble all yer life?

15. Try Again No, I'm not a mod. Registered Senior Member

Most people want to lose weight, they just don't want to do what it takes to lose that weight. That's why so many weight loss pills are sold. People are lazy, many heavier people are smart, they just don't know how to work out. That's the thing with so many Americans, they want to be rewarded, but they don't want to work for it.

16. stateofmind seeker of lies Valued Senior Member

It's the difference between quality and quantity. I think regular exercising will actually decrease your lifespan buuuuuuuut you'll look better and probably get laid a lot more. Ever notice how the people who live past 100 are always the skinny types and not necessarily athletic? They lazed around pumping less blood and ate less which preserved the machinery a bit more.

17. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Because the purpose of life is not merely to prolong itself.

18. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Yay, thank you. I don't particularly care about living until 110 either. I'd rather focus on having a quality life than an especially long one.

19. Cellar_Door Whose Worth's unknown Registered Senior Member

I wish I could have put it as elegantly as that.

20. Pinwheel Banned Banned

What....is the purpose of life?

21. Cellar_Door Whose Worth's unknown Registered Senior Member

You're opening up a can of worms there, first of all by presuming that there is one.

22. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

Because unhealthy food is quick easy and tastes good, and exercise requires effort, time, and is painful for beginners. I admit that I am like most people in that I eat whatever I want and never give a first thought to what I'm eating, if I want it I'll eat it. I also have no scheduled workout routine either. I'm probably heading for a heart attack in 20 years or so, but I'm in perfect health now and since I can't see or feel the damage I am not motivated to change my terrible eating habits. Maybe when I have a family I'll care about what my children eat and will then change as well :shrug: I hope.

23. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

OK folks, here is another way to look at it.

When/if you get old enough, you are going to come down with a bunch of conditions...stuff like type 2 diabetes, dementia, Parkinson's, COPD, sever arthritis, gout, chronic inflammation and a whole slew of other nasty items. Together, they are going to take you out. The question is - how long is that going to take?

My lazy, eat-what-I-want mom has that stuff, has been living in a nursing home for 7 years now with that stuff. Her breathing sounds terrible from the COPD. When I go visit her every month, I pass a whole lot of folks who also suffer from those nasty conditions and more. I am not sure that she remembers my name or my sons. She is unclear about a lot of stuff anymore.

We all get there, the question is how long do you linger there on the way out. If you eat right and exercise regular like you know that you are supposed to, then that time is short and relatively painless. If you have not, it can drag on for years and hurt a lot.

Right, there are other things to do as well, and you will be able to all of that much better if you take common - sense care of what you have, including your health. I am looking forward to taking care of my grandchildren, not having them take care of me.

I eat better than most of you I will bet, and enjoy the heck out of my meals as well. I guess that I should go grille up that fine salmon now. I will be serving steamed fresh broccoli, side of brown basmati and whole pearled barley, side of salad to go with that salmon. A few slices of whole wheat bread from the local baker as well, whole grain chocolate cake and Breyers natural vanilla ice cream for dessert. A glass or 2 of a mid grade Cabernet while I am cooking and the national news on in the background.

Bon Apetite!