Why does the search function suck so bad on this site?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Syzygys, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

It is slow and brings up irrelevant results. Why not just use Google Advanced search and show its results?

Here is an example: I searched for an old thread of mine so I type in "peak coal". The Sciforums result page doesn't even show the thread. So I go to Google Advanced, and bingo, the first hit is the thread I was looking for...

So can we do something about this? Is it that hard to implement Google Advanced to do the work for you???

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. seagypsy Banned Banned

I have had similar experiences with the search function. I usually end up going to the profile of a the person who started the thread and looking in their history. Or if I am looking for one of my own posts I look in my posting history and until I find the relevant post. Its very tedious but way faster than the search function.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. RealityCheck Banned Banned

Hi guys. I just thought that it might be because you haven't set the terms of search to a long enough BACKDATE?

I once had to search back ALL (years back) to find the thread/post I wanted.

Just a thought. Good luck!

PS: Or am I thinking of another forum? If so, then...as you were!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

its simple really: the administrator left us years ago, the sites been running its self, spooky eeh?

8. Neverfly Banned Banned

It is actually. The registered owner that seems to have no involvement with the forum is also running itself. Add to the spooks...
    Worse, the registered owners W.O.T. rating for their website is extremely low.
    It's deep in the red.