Why does the human memory for smell last longer than other memories?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Why?, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Why? Registered Senior Member

It's not your knowledge that worries me. It's your willingness to tell the truth.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

I did tell the truth why should I lie, thats not very theistic of you why to promote lying...ohh how sad

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Why? Registered Senior Member

You might lie because you think everything is a joke. Well, its not mister. Its a cold hard world out there.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

I know, I live in it = 0 )

8. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Has anyone yet proven that the memory of the sense of smell is better than any other memory? Or is all these pages, 44 posted replies, just idle speculation of people who don't know a fuckin' thing about it?

Baron Max

9. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

10. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

11. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

12. Roman Banned Banned

Do you have any evidence for this, or is it anecdotal, or what?
    Cause I'd think visual memories would last longer.

[edit]
    Doh.
    Already been answered.

13. Chatha big brown was screwed up Registered Senior Member

maybe because being a non 3D entity it takes up less space in the memory.

14. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I think it's a remnant of the past, when it was vitally important for a helpless, blind, baby ape to recognize it's mother.

Also, later on, smell is more reliable to distingush foods than sight, since some healthy foods may look very much poisonous ones.

Catha has a good point, smell is just one molecule linking up with one receptor, not complex shaded information from millions of rods and cones that must be processed and interpreted.

15. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

16. kmguru Staff Member

The question was, why it lasts longer. It has nothing to do with the direct link. The direct link only helps because the smell information retains the original properties that is not filtered, scaled, or modified. But storing it for the longest could be several reasons that is needed for evolutionary advantage.

1. As Chatha said, it might be taking very small amount of memory than visual and audio (audio needs a lot of processing power to make sense).

2. The smell data may not be processed every time you sleep where as your massive visual data has to be compressed for later access. Useless information is discarded as short term memory moves to long term memory and processed with association or fractal algorithm for further compression.

3. You need exactly the same smell for discerning good and bad stuff including pheromones that has associations for your activities. Otherwise, the orange smell over time will smell like apple or strange stuff that you will have trouble identifying. Most important, you may not quite recognize and produce the same emotions with your friends and family or the baby even though your eyes say otherwise.

4. Your kids will smell different than other kids in the dark cave. That may have some evolutionary use.

There may be other reasons...just think...

17. Hercules Rockefeller Beatings will continue until morale improves. Moderator

I think the premise of this thread is (potentially) flawed. Is there any evidence that, as the thread title says, “human memory for smell lasts longer than other memories”? Are you saying you have no long term visual or auditory memories? My earliest memories are visual not olfactory.

Edit: Oh, please ignore - I see this has already been addressed (although not very convincingly).

18. Donnal Registered Member

well i used to run around with heaps of kids when i was a kid that is
    and we were like street kids and we used to spy on this business
    it had prostitutes coming outta its ears
    and they way they used to make the young kids pro for em was weird
    we used to watch em stand in the centre of this morror efffect is was set up so when you moved you thought their were millions that sort of mirror effect
    and the place right opposite wa a jewelry store and next to the a doctors clinic thats how we and all the kids knew bout selling hormones off women to faggots was going on other wise we wouldnta known
    and sum girls and bolys as young as 9 were prostituted
    we seen it all
    this is memories of being a kid but i also reckon that stinks aswell
    this place is called wynnum in brisbane

19. Donnal Registered Member

and another place in sydney this time had a home for women and right opposite that there is an old house thats where they steal young kids and take them to hide the business knew and told me to shut my mouth
    i wnever went back but i used to hear kids screaming in agony
    and i couldnt bare it no more
    and they have alot to do with docs in sydney th place i was visiting was a refuge for women and kids i was gonna get a job with em but changed my mind when they told me never stik ur nose in their business and they wont bother us

20. Donnal Registered Member

yeah australia is full of dirty secrets mate aye

21. Donnal Registered Member

Memories And Theyre Mine For Ever Whether Theyre Good Ones Or Bad
    But One Day Maybe Worth Sumthing

22. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

The entire mammalian and avian forebrain, wherein lie the cognitive powers that distinguish us from the lower animals, is an outgrowth of the olfactory lobe. Apparently in the first primitive fish, their superior "intelligence" was simply the ability to chemically analyze incoming molecules; use them to identify food, predators, mates, competitors, etc. in the vicinity; and formulate a strategy for responding to their proximity.

Since then mammals and birds (and other vertebrates) have developed more sophisticated cognitive powers utilizing input from the other senses as well as abstract reasoning. But our olfactory lobe is still the foundation for the rest of our brain and apparently it still provides some of our most powerful memories.

23. Hercules Rockefeller Beatings will continue until morale improves. Moderator

Hang on a sec! I don’t think that is factually correct.

Firstly, the cognitive powers that distinguish us from the lower animals reside in various parts of the cerebral cortex and are not confined solely to the forebrain/frontal lobes. Secondly, the forebrain region of vertebrates contains the olfactory bulb but is certainly not an outgrowth of the olfactory bulb.

This part is likely to be somewhat correct.

What?!?! Absolutely not. Why would you say that?